Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DWRR

DWRR's Shipyard

98 posts in this topic

I've been out of miniature painting for a few years but with the advent of Armada have jumped back in.

First ship ready to go under the brush is my Victory II Star Destroyer.

The original plan was to start with white and progressively add shades to add depth and shadow.

This is how things started...

965278A9-2195-4205-B8F5-B72E97860FAD_zps

I the decided to cover the ship in Nuln Oil and then thought I'd ruined it. The wash changed the hue from a blue grey to a black grey and darkens the model massively.

So I took a far more traditional approach and did some edge highlighting to bring out the panel work and then used black lining to add spot definition.

ADD32F25-75A5-4F93-8B7B-D27E4429FB8C_zps

I realised too late that I don't have any blue paint so for now the engines are turned off...

The final details will be using a black market to colour the edges of the card components.

Ultimately a grey star destroyer looks like all the other grey star destroyers but after what felt like a disaster with the Nuln Oil (so many peoples saviour paint) I'm very happy with how this ended up.

Edited by DWRR
mobow213, Icareane, Addum and 13 others like this

Yup, I much prefer sharp edge/line highlights over dry brushing. Especially when there are such large flat areas as well.

WOW ive been minis painting for 15 years and my stuff isn't this good.  Well done.  Ive been waiting for Wave 1 to paint my stuff.   That's actually an excuse to keep playing video games.  

Great Job and keep it up

DWRR likes this

Thanks for the kind words chaps.

Nice unique take on those capital ships! For some reason that color scheme is giving me a steampunk vibe.

I get what you mean, there is a very silver/brass/ivory feel to them. I think I'm going to make another pass over them with panel highlights in pure white to try and pull it back a bit from the brass/ivory spectrum.

Thank you.

Something is bothering me about the rebel ships, the colour scheme just removes the Star Wars feel from them for me. I might re-paint them with various shades of grey and revert to the red stripes.

I love your stuff. I do agree with you a different scheme might work better on the Rebs, but fantastic work man. Something to aspire to for sure

I really like the look of the pre-nulned Victory, could you give a more detailed breakdown of how you achieved the look in the first picture?

Rendorin likes this

I really like the look of the pre-nulned Victory, could you give a more detailed breakdown of how you achieved the look in the first picture?

I undercoated the ship white and painted on a layer of GW Ulthuan grey (very pale grey) and then I watered down Russ Grey (I think) and pained that into the recesses and lower sections of the hull using layers of watered down paint to build up the colour. Blending through transparency.

I'm painting some Wave 1 stuff tomorrow so will take a picture to illustrate this a bit better.

woooo, absolutely beautiful work. 

I will put all my energy into admiring, and a little bit more into convincing myself mine are OK as is....... 

Very inspiring. Like the rebel palette. 

Malev

DWRR likes this