Sign in to follow this  
skyhwk290

Star Wars Armada and X-Wing Combined Strategic Campaign (Commanders)

We have a decent size group of X-Wing players coming regularly at my local store and I really want to do some kind of epic campaign. I would like to include Armada as well for the larger battles, to be played by the "Faction Comanders". I was thinking of breaking out my copy of Star Wars Risk to use the galaxy map to keep track of taken systems and rewards.

The first idea with this is to have the commander selected for the Armada battle has an effect that benefits the X-Wing battles that go on around it. Below is an example of what I'm thinking of.

Generall Dodonna effect on X-Wing games for the faction: Once a crit is resolved on opponent ship, you may, once per round, look at the top 2 cards of their damage deck. Place one on top (for your opponent to resolve) and one on bottom of the deck.

I have to go but will add more later, let me know what you think about the idea.

I've have been having thoughts on a generally similar line.

What I think is important from a gameplay perspective (which goes against a desire for simulationism) is that you should avoid having breakout games whose outcomes are more or less determined from a higher level. While in a realistic simulation a war should be won at the strategic level, rather than at the tactical level, you want to keep the tactical level exciting. You also want to avoid having the outcome of one tactical battle determine the outcome of the following battle.

That doesn't mean that you can't have some impact between your games of Armada and X-Wing, but I think you would be wise not to have those impacts be determinative.

Edited by Mikael Hasselstein

I've designed a Armada/X-Wing campaign for my gaming group using this map:
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150308224731/starwars/images/8/89/Clone_Wars_Sector_Armies.png

The rules are pretty simple. Planets can only be captured using Fleets, with special X-Wing missions happening just before an invasion to help try and give bonuses to the Armada fleet. The size of the forces players are allowed to use depends on how many planets they own. There's also a benefit for capturing entire sectors, RISK style, although once a sector capital is conquered the player gets some benefits from that.

There's some house rules involved about capturing ships that allows any player to use any kind of ship (although not to start with) and even allows Sum and Villainy to get in on the Fleet action. Decided not to allow any named characters or ships in this campaign, and instead normal pilots can level up, as can ship crews 

There have been several threads over the last few months about Armada based campaigns. Everyone has some good ideas. I hope FFG will come out with a strategic based set of rules some day so you can incorporate x-wing and armada.