Sign in to follow this  
Explosive Ewok

What I don't understand: The desire to "fix" the X-Wing

First of all, I'll just say that I'm mainly an Imperial pilot, so I may not understand all the nuances. However I DO fly Rebels sometimes and I've never felt the X-Wing is missing anything. It's a good all around fighter, just like it's TIE/ln counterpart.

So why all the talk for an X-Wing fix?

Competitive play.

It's a Swiss army knife: it's not the fastest, hardest hitting, most customizable, or sexiest but for 21 points a rookie Xwing is a great value that often doesn't get targeted first. Wedge and Wes are great fun, too.

No fixes needed IMO.

X-wing would be fine if the B-wing wasn't so similar in price and capabilities

it's not bad but it currently lacks a compelling role other than certain unique pilots.  it doesn't need "fixed" like the TIE advanced did, but it would be good for the game if the titular ship got a buff to make it more commonly used

Competitive play.

It's a Swiss army knife: it's not the fastest, hardest hitting, most customizable, or sexiest but for 21 points a rookie Xwing is a great value that often doesn't get targeted first. Wedge and Wes are great fun, too.

No fixes needed IMO.

A swiss army knife in a world full of cordless electric drills, machetes, and chainsaws: X-Wings can't quite cut it.

It is not competitive.

I'm not going to claim any expert title here but I'm reasonably confident there are tournament lists out there that could be beaten with a list using an Xwing.

Competitive play.

No fixes needed IMO.

A swiss army knife in a world full of cordless electric drills, machetes, and chainsaws: X-Wings can't quite cut it.

So basically you're saying that the X-Wing is no longer a ship worth flying if you're playing to win?

Competitive play.

No fixes needed IMO.

Rookies are much easier to waste than almost any other ship in the rebel lineup, and with 3 base attack, it certainly is a nice thing to silence early.

BBBBZ is an absolute beast in competitive play.  Take an XXXXZ maybe with R2 astros up against a BBBBZ list and see how it rolls.  

I agree that X-wing does not need a fix but I would love to see the ship show up more often in truly competitive lists.  X-wings account for around 5% of ships according to a quick glance at list juggler but drop down to below 4% for elimination rounds only.  The game is named X-wing and I would love to fly them without feeling like I am handicapping myself.

Competitive play.

No fixes needed IMO.

Eh, it's kinda the opposite of the Swiss army knife.  It doesn't have many upgrades or actions.  It's more like a fragile machete--good at hacking things up, but may snap on you in an instant.

Edited by quasistellar

It is not competitive.

I'm not going to claim any expert title here but I'm reasonably confident there are tournament lists out there that could be beaten with a list using an Xwing.

Their performance at World's and through the Store Champ season puts them down as one of the worst ships in the game. Sure some small number of people did alright with them, but they fought an uphill battle.

First of all, I'll just say that I'm mainly an Imperial pilot, so I may not understand all the nuances. However I DO fly Rebels sometimes and I've never felt the X-Wing is missing anything. It's a good all around fighter, just like it's TIE/ln counterpart.

So why all the talk for an X-Wing fix?

It's missing movement adjustment abilities. Boost, barrel roll, that sort of thing. Most competitive ships have these abilities, and the X-Wing is pretty hampered by not having them.

And for something that's not particularly mobile (and thus able to dodge arcs), it's kinda squishy with 2 agility dice and 5 hit points.

it's not bad but it currently lacks a compelling role other than certain unique pilots.  it doesn't need "fixed" like the TIE advanced did, but it would be good for the game if the titular ship got a buff to make it more commonly used

It's definitely overcosted for its capabilities. Not as badly as the E-Wing, Defender, or Vanilla!Advanced, but it's hurting.

As far as "it would be fine except B-Wing", that's not really true. It's not as good as an equal number of Tie Fighters. As a comparison: your shoes (X-Wing) were always half a size too small. Don't blame the new- properly fitting shoes (B-Wing)- for making it clear how slightly uncomfortable you always were.

Competitive play.

No fixes needed IMO.

Rookies are much easier to waste than almost any other ship in the rebel lineup, and with 3 base attack, it certainly is a nice thing to silence early.
Okay, you might target Rookies early in the fight but not everyone does - which was my point. I'm just saying I've enjoyed flying Xwings and I've had Rookies deliver many a coup-de-grace to fancier ships.

I think this is the key right here.

If you were to put Blue and Rookie pilot cards side-by-side, 9 times in 10 you'd take the Blue.  

• Both ships are pilot skill 2.
  • Both ships have 3 attack dice.
  • The B-Wing has 1 less evade die.  (Most don't view this as a big hindrance because green dice are so unreliable anyway).
  • Both ships have 3 hull points.
  • The B-Wing has 3 more shield points.  (This is HUGE.)
  • The B-Wing has 1 more action available to it (barrel roll).
  • The B-Wing has more available upgrade slots (system, cannon, +1 torpedo), but does not have the astromech upgrade like the X-Wing.
  • The B-Wing costs 1 point more.
  • The B-Wing dial has a lot more red on it than the X-Wing dial, but it is not a bad dial.  The B-Wing actually has the Hard 1's that are so awesome, even if they are red maneuvers.  It lacks the Hard 3's that the X-Wing has and the K-turn is shorter (2 for the B, 4 for the X), but otherwise the dials are pretty similar in terms of options.

So, for your extra point you are getting a pretty significant bump in survivability (3 more HP, despite the loss of 1 agility) and another action option (barrel roll) at the cost of a slightly worse dial.  Unless you really, really need that astromech slot, most players would pay the extra point and take the Blue. 

I think you'd see X-Wings more regularly if they were cheaper in some way; as it stands, their costs are too close to the B-Wing for them to get a ton of use.  They need to cost fewer points in order for them to see more regular competitive play.

Edited by SeaRaptor

Competitive play.

No fixes needed IMO.

So basically you're saying that the X-Wing is no longer a ship worth flying if you're playing to win?

Replace "no longer" with "hasn't been for a while" and you're pretty much there. It's been supplanted by the B-wing(in its original role) and the Z-95(as filler) for quite a while.

BBBBZ is an absolute beast in competitive play.  Take an XXXXZ maybe with R2 astros up against a BBBBZ list and see how it rolls.  

I agree that X-wing does not need a fix but I would love to see the ship show up more often in truly competitive lists.  X-wings account for around 5% of ships according to a quick glance at list juggler but drop down to below 4% for elimination rounds only.  The game is named X-wing and I would love to fly them without feeling like I am handicapping myself.

Pretty much this.

Edited by Otacon

It's definitely overcosted for its capabilities. Not as badly as the E-Wing, Defender, or Vanilla!Advanced, but it's hurting.

As far as "it would be fine except B-Wing", that's not really true. It's not as good as an equal number of Tie Fighters. As a comparison: your shoes (X-Wing) were always half a size too small. Don't blame the new- properly fitting shoes (B-Wing)- for making it clear how slightly uncomfortable you always were.

Ah, but you could compare the X-Wing to your old mountain bike that you never really noticed was kind of crappy - I mean, of course you knew there were better bikes out there but they were road bikes and tricycles so comparing them was hard.

Then one day you tried a new mountain bike, that only cost about 5% more than your old one, and it was clearly superior.

Since then, you've rarely flown your old bike, since the new one is so obviously better.

The only times you use your old bike are when you add a bunch of upgrades to it that aren't compatible with your new bike (silly bike manufacturers changed the mounting screws and post sizes!)