Sign in to follow this  
Nephlim24

Noob GM question

Just be careful with larger minion groups like that.  If I have the dice pool upgrades right, a 5-member squad of stormtroopers with Agility 3 and skilled in Ranged(Heavy) would have a dice pool starting at GGG upgraded 4 times, with an end result of YYYG.  That's probably going to do a number on any PC they hit.

Just be careful with larger minion groups like that.  If I have the dice pool upgrades right, a 5-member squad of stormtroopers with Agility 3 and skilled in Ranged(Heavy) would have a dice pool starting at GGG upgraded 4 times, with an end result of YYYG.  That's probably going to do a number on any PC they hit.

I second what whafrog said..

3 Minion groups are pretty standard but you can always have more groups to face off against your PCs

Edited by Oden Gebhac

Groups of minions. So they act as basically an improved version of itself. So does a group of five Minions just get one big attack?

They get one combined skill check. Since rounds in Edge of the Empire take minutes this check represents the combined efforts of everyone in the group.

The pirate gang approaches you on the street ducking behind cover, Blaster blots begin flying around towards you and your group from as several blasters are pointed in your direction. Suddenly a several blasts strike into you companion and you see them bend over in pain.

This system simplifies rolls but allows you to do a lot narratively.

You can surely do that. I like to move them around dynamically. IE. My group of 4 PCs would firefight with say 6 minions. I'd start them as either 2 three men groups or 3 two men group, each group attacking 1 or 2 PCs. If someone poses a large threat, say a jedi throwing tibanna canisters and letting the gunslinger shoot them in the air, they might all concentrate fire on the player or his weapon (in this case the canisters).

You don't want to focus fire with minion groups at a non-combat centric player, since they won't be able to take a shot but mostly cause (usually) they aren't physically threatening. I'd be more incline to shoot the large frenzy eyed Wookie coming at me with my buddy's arm as a club then the Toydarian merchant trying to figure out which end of a pistol shoots.

Remember minions are there for one real reason; lambs to the slaughter in order to make your PCs look awesome. Like Force Unleashed 2 where he waded through dozens of minions (knight level play I assume). However due to the nature of the system 1 large group of minions should be either broken down to smaller, or replace it with a rival or 2.

Edited by jaradaj

Thank you all for the quick and detailed responses. I don't even have the full rule book yet just got beginners game and was confused about how it would work, a cool mechanic in my opinion

if a minion group has training in a skill then they upgrade their check relative to the number of minions in the group.

Therefore:

• If you want a minion group to last, then have big numbers (6-8) with not too much soak (2-4) and no skill training.
  • if you want a minion group to pack a punch then small groups 93-4) with training is the way to go. give them high soak (5-8) to get them to last more than one round
  • also the more small groups you have the more shots you get so keep that in mind

Also its important to know that a minion group can not voluntarily suffer 2 strain to get an extra manoeuvre in a round, they are stuck with either:

• 1 manoeuver and 1 action
  • or 2 manoevers

I've occasionally flipped a destiny point to 'count as' two strain so a minion group can take 2 moves, then act.  Usually when I need them to move range-bands and still get back in cover.

I typically run 'dangerous' minions in fours (Stormtroopers, etc.) while less coordinated minions get 3s or even pairs.  As R.Buxton said above, larger groups without the skill in question are great for mobs simply because the don't get any better as more arrive, though I've occasionally split them into two groups, then had group 1 'assist' group 2 (for a boost die).  This is particularly good for gangs who fire their blasters sidewise. :rolleyes:  

That's one of the hard things to remember when coming into this game. When played correctly, Minions are not push overs and a Nemesis is not an unstoppable beast that can solo a team.