Sign in to follow this  
Phillyraidrer215

Rebel Troopers and Fenn's Assault ability

("After a friendly Trooper within 3 spaces resolves an attack, it may gain "Assault". Limit once per round.)

Does this mean that:

A.) Every Trooper within 3 spaces would have access to assault, meaning they would activate and be able to attack twice.

B.) Only one trooper within three spaces can gain assault, meaning he only would gain assault. 

C.) A Trooper model activates, moves to within 3 spaces of Fenn, attacks a model, then gains an additional attack from Assault.

We have some wild theories about this in our group.lol

Only 1 Trooper within 3 spaces of Fenn would get gain Assault because it is limit once per round. So "B" is mostly correct. "C" is possibly correct as well, as long as you somehow gain a third action. It would still take another action to attack a second time with Assault.

Yeah, I've been following "B" in terms of how this ability plays out.

As it states "a Trooper" and only once a Round, so it only affects one trooper to use the ability.

And thats my dilemma , It does not state only one trooper at all, but does state that "after a friendly trooper", which to me implies "ANY friendly trooper within 3 spaces may gain Assault, but only once a round". 

I take "a friendly trooper" as the qualifier to which models may gain the condition, not how many model troopers may gain it.  And "once per round", to prevent reactivating the troopers and gaining it twice in the same round.

Isn't this similar to the executor rule for Royal Guards and Squad Training for Stormtroopers?

Any FFG designers present?

Edited by Phillyraidrer215

FFG won't post on the boards but you can check by submitting a rules question here.

I believe since it calls out Fenn's ability as limit once per round that you can only trigger this ability once per round (not once per round per trooper). Otherwise it would phrase itself something like Each trooper within 3 spaces yadda yadda.

Let us know when you hear back from the rules people but I'm 99.9% sure it's one trigger per round meaning one trooper can be the target of it.

And thats my dilemma , It does not state only one trooper at all, but does state that "after a friendly trooper", which to me implies "ANY friendly trooper within 3 spaces may gain Assault, but only once a round". 

I take "a friendly trooper" as the qualifier to which models may gain the condition, not how many model troopers may gain it.  And "once per round", to prevent reactivating the troopers and gaining it twice in the same round.

Isn't this similar to the executor rule for Royal Guards and Squad Training for Stormtroopers?

Any FFG designers present?

"Once per round" is referring to the use of the ability. "Trooper Assault" can be used on any Trooper within 3 spaces of Fenn, but "Trooper Assault" can only be used once per round.

Consider Jyn's "Hair Trigger" ability:

Hair Trigger: At the start of a hostile figure’s activation, you may interrupt to perform an attack that targets that figure. Limit once per round.

By applying your rational, Jyn could use this at the start of every hostile figure's activation. This is simply wrong.

You can only use "Hair Trigger" once per round, just as you can only use "Trooper Assault" once per round.

"Squad Training" does not say "Once per round", so you are able to trigger it multiple times. Royal Guard Champion's "Executer" does say "Once per round", so you are not able to trigger it more than once per round.

Edited by DarkJodo

I have always played it as A, however now I am not as sure. The "limit once per..." I thought applied to the troopers themselves, they can only gqin assault once ffrom Fenn each round, if they were given a new activation for example.

Not sure, from my point of view I still think A would be best interpretation, or is it to powerful? From strict RAW i guess maybe B would be best.

I have always played it as A, however now I am not as sure. The "limit once per..." I thought applied to the troopers themselves, they can only gqin assault once ffrom Fenn each round, if they were given a new activation for example.

Not sure, from my point of view I still think A would be best interpretation, or is it to powerful? From strict RAW i guess maybe B would be best.

Option A is incorrect. See my post above for reasoning.

I'm voting for "B" The once per round is referring to Fenn's ability, not the trooper. 

In A-

There is zero point to putting once per round in there for the troopers. Gaining assault more than once would do nothing for you. The wording for A wouldn't really make sense.

In C-

That's simply not what assault does. You'd be using 3 actions. 

Or you can look at it like this.

What is the Trigger? - Resolving an attack within 3 spaces.

What happens on the trigger? - The trooper may gain assault.

How many times can you use the trigger? - Once per round. (The default is once per trigger, which is why its in here)

In C-

That's simply not what assault does. You'd be using 3 actions.

Yeah C doesn't work, You could trigger this condition after moving and then attacking but it'd be a really bad time to trigger it (you would gain assault and not use it).

Yeah C doesn't work, You could trigger this condition after moving and then attacking but it'd be a really bad time to trigger it (you would gain assault and not use it).

C does work in some circumstances. For instance:

Trooper 4 spaces from Fenn

Play Fleet Footed (Use during your activation to gain 1 movement point.)

Move within 3 of Fenn

Attack action

Attack action

Edited by DarkJodo

("After a friendly Trooper within 3 spaces resolves an attack, it may gain "Assault". Limit once per round.)

Does this mean that:

A.) Every Trooper within 3 spaces would have access to assault, meaning they would activate and be able to attack twice.

B.) Only one trooper within three spaces can gain assault, meaning he only would gain assault. 

C.) A Trooper model activates, moves to within 3 spaces of Fenn, attacks a model, then gains an additional attack from Assault.

We have some wild theories about this in our group.lol

A) No.

B) Yes.

C) Yes, but unless he was gaining this movement outside of the trooper's activation or some other way (such as a command card), he would be wasting an action moving and you would be wasting the "assault" ability.

Edited by Fizz

Answer Received:

Hey Phillyraider215,

Only one trooper per round can gain “Assault” through that ability. Additionally, keep in mind that Assault doesn’t actually give additional actions. While I suppose you could technically move a trooper to within 3 spaces of Fenn and give him Assault, it’s not going to do any good unless you played another card that could give him additional actions/attacks.

Assault only negates the limitation for non-hero figures to one action used to attack per activation.

Thanks,
Justin Kemppainen
Assistant Board Game Manager
Fantasy Flight Games
Edited by Phillyraidrer215

Answer Received:

Hey Phillyraider215,

Only one trooper per round can gain “Assault” through that ability. Additionally, keep in mind that Assault doesn’t actually give additional actions. While I suppose you could technically move a trooper to within 3 spaces of Fenn and give him Assault, it’s not going to do any good unless you played another card that could give him additional actions/attacks.

Assault only negates the limitation for non-hero figures to one action used to attack per activation.

Thanks,

Justin Kemppainen

Assistant Board Game Manager

Fantasy Flight Games

There was still question with this? I see it being correctly answered 6 times in this post. Oh well - glad it resolved, I guess.