Sign in to follow this  
Bipolar Potter

Scavenged Astromechs, and where the hell are they?

Okay, so now with Wave 7 Scum has just about reached parity with the other factions in numbers of ships. 9-10-10 if you don't count Epic. Why in the name of all that is holy did Wave 7 not have a Scum ship that mounts Scavenged Astromechs.

Rebels have 3 ships that can take Astros, and Scum has 1.  We'll be waiting til at least Q4 of this year for Wave 8, and probably well into Q1 of next year with the current release trend.

"It's still a new faction" I hear you saying. Stuff it. Until we get confirmation on the Kihraxz point cost and dial, we're looking at a Scum Xwing WITHOUT an astro slot, which is wildly regarded as the X-wing's sole saving grace. This seemed like it would have been an excellent ship to say to hell with the lore and put the SA slot on it.

-Note this is not an X-wing woes discussion thread, we have 50 of those a cpl pages down.-

So, can some of the sluths that dwell here point out some contenders that could have had a Scavenged Astro slot, as I didn't play any SWG and thats where all these ships seem to be coming from.

Sorry if post is unclear im tired and this struck me all of a sudden and had to get it out before i can sleep.

Sometimes it is better to sleep before posting, this forum already has way to many "I demand an explanation for this" threads ;). That said I am sure FFG has something more to say with the Kiharzxzxzzzxzx fighter than making it just a scum x-wing, we will just have to wait and see the dial, pilots etc. I think it is wise to see scavenged astromechs as a solution to get rebel fighters into the scum faction and make them feel different, but  not something crucial to the scum faction. Could be a long time before we see another ship with the scavenged astromech ability.

Sleep tight!

I'd actually never noticed until you pointed it out that only Y wings in a scum list can actually use the mech cards.

It does seem a bit odd.

I also think its odd that the M3a cant have illicit upgrades, despite being a primarily pirate type ship whereas the z95 can, but cant have them when flown by rebels :)

I also think its odd that the M3a cant have illicit upgrades, despite being a primarily pirate type ship whereas the z95 can, but cant have them when flown by rebels :)

Because Rebel Z-95 pilots are scholars and gentlemen, they do not require tricks or traps to excel in a dogfight.

Look on the brightside: eventually the Jumpmaster 5000 (seriously, that is one 90s sounding name) will get released, likely making it the first ever large ship with an astromech slot.

The real sad part is it seems only Unhinged Astromechs and R4 Agromechs ever see any use, with maybe "Genius" once a blue moon.  The actual Salvaged Astromech and R4-B11 are the Maarek Stele's of droids: you just don't see them.

Though R4-B11 synergizes very nicely with Drea Renthal (who is also pretty rare, likely contributing to the lack of that delightful looking fellow in lists), and I'm personally looking forward to using some Salvaged Astromechs on a pair of Hired Guns flying alongside Prince Xizor.  

Well, it would be weird for one ship to have access to the same amount of droids as 3, wholly seperate releases. 4 if you count the x wing blister, 5 if you count the transport.

Why would you expect 20-some options for one ship?

Well, it would be weird for one ship to have access to the same amount of droids as 3, wholly seperate releases. 4 if you count the x wing blister, 5 if you count the transport.

Why would you expect 20-some options for one ship?

I think he is talking about numbers of ships, not numbers of salvaged astromechs

Astromech sockets in general have tended to be more of a Rebel thing in Star Wars.

And besides, how many Rebel or Imperial ships have (and more importantly, will have) access to Illicit upgrades?  I think that's really where they're going to focus on cool Scum-flavored stuff - scum-droids are just a cool little thing so Scum can use Y-Wings without missing out on a distinctive trait of the wishbone.

This seemed like it would have been an excellent ship to say to hell with the lore

FFG already said that back when they gave us the Defender with PS 1 and 3 generics and a dial that can't turn well. <_<

As a huge fan of the lore, and someone who is mostly happy with how FFG has handled it so far...I don't want such an egregious departure to happen again, for better or worse.

I'm under the impression that salvaged astromechs are a thing because-

1) scum y-wings needed astromechs

2) R2D2 wasn't marked rebel only, so they had to make a "new" type of astromech for scum

So, while they are an original upgrade, I feel they kinda exist only out of necessity. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't get any next wave either. The fact that Most Wanted came with 5 salvaged astromechs right off the bat also may indicate they wanted to give you a number of options that will last for awhile.

I still agree with the OP. I think Wave 8 will likely have another ship with the Salvaged Astromech. You cna't have only Scum-wings have exclusive upgrades. It sort of breaks the upgrade slot system over upgrade lists used by more conventional table top games.

Wonder is we'll see salvaged/scavenged astromech 'crew cards' like 'crew r2d2'?

Now we've three scum ships able to take crew

3 Scum ships that can take Gredo.

7 Scum ships that can take Illicit upgrades.

& only one ship that can take a salvaged astromech.

Edited by Marinealver

Punishing One, Dunelizard, T-Wing and Planetary Fighter will have savaged astromech. Also, why is it such a big issue that the Y-Wing is the only one with savaged astromech?

I could understand that if an Upgrade Slot had little amount of Upgrade Cards devoted to it, it will cause an issue. For example, there are only 3 Turret Cards out there. Those are very few considering 2 ships (4 if you consider S&V) have it.

On the other hand, there are already 5 Salvaged Astromech cards for just one ship. Enough to make it very diverse.

The interesting thing noticing here is that unless there is an Aces Pack of X-Wing/Y-Wing there wont be more Rebel Astromech cards anymore.

"It's still a new faction" I hear you saying. Stuff it. Until we get confirmation on the Kihraxz point cost and dial, we're looking at a Scum Xwing WITHOUT an astro slot, which is wildly regarded as the X-wing's sole saving grace. This seemed like it would have been an excellent ship to say to hell with the lore and put the SA slot on it.

No, we're not looking a Scum X-wing, not necessarily. The forum claims this to the point where people assume it's true, but we're looking at a ship with a 3/2/4/1 statline. That doesn't make it an X-wing clone unless it has the same dial and costs 21 points.

We know nothing of its dial or point cost. Do you think FFG'd just copy a ship they acknowledge has problems?

As for Astromechs, two Astromech ships for the Rebels in Wave 1, zero astromech ships until you got one in Wave 4, none since