Sign in to follow this  
FrozenFlesh

Imperial SD faster than Victory SD?

Also looks like Vader costs 36 points. So I'm guessing he does something amazing. Can't make out the text.

very hard to understand the words but i think it says something about friendly ships and give them the possibility to spend a defense token for free to repeat any number of dice for this attack.

but i can't read everything so i can't say the whole text

I thunk people are forgetting that speed in space is relative. Ships can go .1 the speed of light and if another ship is doing .1, they are still just doing .1 the speed of light. The difference in speeds I believe is acceleration. Smaller ships need less thrust to accelerate them faster than large ships.

What the fluff us saying about the Falcon is that it can accelerate much faster than an ISD so it can out run them. That is until they match velocities. It is likely that the ISD which has a much greater thrust to weight ratio compared to the VSD will be faster but we shall see.

Star Wars doesn't exactly follow the rules of physics all that closely. :)

It does explain why an ISD is faster than a VSD. Where it does not follow physics is in the Fighters. Fighters should be slower and not as maneuverable as they are.

Newton's second law: Force = Mass * Acceleration

Fighters have little mass and thus need little force to have a large rate of accelerate(in all directions). The ISD would need more force than the VSD, but I guess it has it.

That said, be happy with Star Wars the way it is. If I were truly accurate to physics, it would get very boring.

Acceleration only matters until you get up to speed. Once you hit the speed cap (before breaking apart) that's your speed.

You are right though true physics would have combats that would take hours, delayed images of enemy positions, etc.

The Death Star is orbiting the planet!

All fighters also orbiting the planet, burn retrograde to reduce your orbital period, and get ready to match planes at the next intersect node! All fighters orbiting the moon, prepare for a Hohmann transfer! All fighters on the ground, scramble in 16 hours at the next launch window!

A high speed and terrible turn rate would not help the ISD

I wouldn't mind it, but then again I'm a Rebel that way.

Traitorous wretch. We will deal with you. :angry:

Come on, the ISB couldn't find an ISD let alone one of our own. So the ISB sit there all frustrated while they see Rebels everywhere in their paranoia. The Emperor licks Gundarks.

Fulcrum Lives.

Edited by Beatty

A high speed and terrible turn rate would not help the ISD

I wouldn't mind it, but then again I'm a Rebel that way.

Traitorous wretch. We will deal with you. :angry:

Come on, the ISB couldn't find an ISD let alone one of our own. So the ISB sit there all frustrated while they see Rebels everywhere in their paranoia. The Emperor licks Gundarks.

Fulcrum Lives.

And we'll continue dealing with you too. sSW_emperor.gif

We'll see whose laughing when Tarkin rolls over your "navy" at the helm of an Imperial and friends. Then the Hodge-podge collection of scrap you call spaceships really will be space scrap!

I guess you're right, it's not like an A-Wing can take out a Executor or something. Sigh, to bad the Emperor isn't overconfident so we could have him in a vulnerable situation like on a incomplete station out in the wild space region. You guys do have the best soldiers in the galaxy and would not ever be beaten by a race still in the Stone Age. Yub Nub.

Psst..... fulcrum lives....... ;)

Edited by Beatty

We'll see whose laughing when Tarkin rolls over your "navy" at the helm of an Imperial and friends. Then the Hodge-podge collection of scrap you call spaceships really will be space scrap!

Ah heck, the Imperial fleet is so spread out in a vain attempt to engage our Rebel fleet that the last thing we are worried about is ever being outnumbered in an engagement.

Wondering how many engineering pts this sucker has. 

So happy about the speed.  Never thought anyone would actually implement the fact that the bigger ships actually tend to go FASTER than the smaller ones.  Only other time I've seen this in effect was in XWING: Alliance.  There was a mission in which you had to run from a Star Destroyer going balls out on your tail.

Look close and you can see the shields and dicehttp://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/214049'

Front arc looks like 3 red, 2 blue, 3 black. Sides look like 2 red, 2 black. Back look like 2 blue, 1 black.

4/3/3/2 shields. 11 hull.

You can see it much clearer on THIS site... It's 2 blue and 1 red on the back.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/4/6/here-they-come/

Edited by NeverTellMeTheOdds

Well I wonder if that picture is a final version of the ISD and if that point cost is just a 2 digit number. It looks that way which will mean that the ISD will be under costed for what it brings.

I always figured the ISD would be about 115 or so bare bones. At 90-99 points it is a monster. . .

I thunk people are forgetting that speed in space is relative. Ships can go .1 the speed of light and if another ship is doing .1, they are still just doing .1 the speed of light. The difference in speeds I believe is acceleration. Smaller ships need less thrust to accelerate them faster than large ships.

What the fluff us saying about the Falcon is that it can accelerate much faster than an ISD so it can out run them. That is until they match velocities. It is likely that the ISD which has a much greater thrust to weight ratio compared to the VSD will be faster but we shall see.

Star Wars doesn't exactly follow the rules of physics all that closely. :)

It does explain why an ISD is faster than a VSD. Where it does not follow physics is in the Fighters. Fighters should be slower and not as maneuverable as they are.  

Newton's second law: Force = Mass * Acceleration

Fighters have little mass and thus need little force to have a large rate of accelerate(in all directions). The ISD would need more force than the VSD, but I guess it has it.

That said, be happy with Star Wars the way it is. If I were truly accurate to physics, it would get very boring.

I have a BS in Physics, and let me tell you, there is a reason why the saying is, "it's not rocket science," to describe something being not very difficult.  You just can't apply real physics to space battles in Star Wars.  It wouldn't make for an entertaining cinematic experience, which is why the "physics" of space battles are usually modeled off of air and naval combat on Earth.

If physics is something that interests you though, and you have somewhat of an aptitude for it, here is a start for how to apply Newtonian mechanics to space: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsiolkovsky_rocket_equation

Well I wonder if that picture is a final version of the ISD and if that point cost is just a 2 digit number. It looks that way which will mean that the ISD will be under costed for what it brings.

relative to the Victory 1, a 95+ ISD wouldn't be underpriced

I'm worried about the Victory 2, though

I disagree. At 95 points you are getting 3 extra hull, more anti-capship dice, more anti-squadron dice, greater speed. . . Compared to the difference between the Victory 1 and 2 this should be well more than 95 points. . . Also at 95 points I can field 3 of these in a 400+ game AND fighter support. . . . That would be one gll of a list to play against

I disagree. At 95 points you are getting 3 extra hull, more anti-capship dice, more anti-squadron dice, greater speed. . . Compared to the difference between the Victory 1 and 2 this should be well more than 95 points. . . Also at 95 points I can field 3 of these in a 400+ game AND fighter support. . . . That would be one gll of a list to play against
This completely. The ISD is really really good from what we have seen so far and 95 points will be absolutely underpriced.

Don't worry about the ISD being able to make up its points at over a 100 becuase if played right it will.

Seriously the VSD is already fantastic for its cost and the ISD is WAY better than the VSD in every way. So why would they just have the cost be less than 10 points from the VSD? Why aren't the Rebel Ships cheaper if we go by your calculations.

Looking at the VSD vs what we know of the ISD and comparing that to the VSD vs Gladiator.

The ISD has 1 shield in the front, 1 shield in the rear, 3 hull, +5 dice*, +1 squad, +1 defense token.

The VSD has +1 shield on the side, +3 hull, +2 dice* +1 command, +1 squad, -1 speed.

* The dice is hard to qualify for me anyway, how much is is -1 Blue dice but +3 black dice worth? Sure you'll do more damage at close range, but less damage at medium range.

But either way, the VSD is 23 points more than the GSD, and it's not quite as much better than the ISD is vs the VSD. So I'd think that the ISD would have to be 110 points at least.