Sign in to follow this  
FrozenFlesh

Imperial SD faster than Victory SD?

Hey guys, right now I'm reading the Imperial Handbook, and found something very interesting.

It says, that the VSD is very slow in sub lightspeed travel, but it can travel with lightspeed, to reach it's destination in half the time the ISD would need.

It also says, that the ISD Is slower at lightspeed travel , but It is very fast at sub light, and can easily hunt smaller rebel ships.

The fluff says, that the ISD (which is an enhanced and bigger version of the older VSD) is much faster in combat situations.

We See one catching a CR90 right at the beginning of ANH.

So of FFG stays true to the fluff, the ISD should have at least speed 3. :o

What do you guys think?

Edited by FrozenFlesh

It also says, that the ISD doesn't have a light speed engine, but It is very fast at sub light, and can easily hunt smaller rebel ships.

You may have misread that, because what you've written there is words to the effect of the Star Destroyer doesn't have a hyperdrive.

I think for balance purposes it will probably be slow, but in real life naval warfare, especially up through World War 2, larger ships like battleships and heavy cruisers were faster and more maneuverable than many smaller vessels, simply because they were big enough to devote more space to engines.

It also says, that the ISD doesn't have a light speed engine, but It is very fast at sub light, and can easily hunt smaller rebel ships.

You may have misread that, because what you've written there is words to the effect of the Star Destroyer doesn't have a hyperdrive.

Yes, I misread that. The ISD does have a hyperdrive, it's just slower in hyperspace Travel. But hyperspace Speed is not relevant for battles.

well, Han did boast about out-running the big destroyers meaning there is likely some truth to their speed. Hell, no friction in space meaning a ship that size could in theory have huge propulsion capabilities, more so due to having more space for them over smaller ships hence more speed

I've not read the Imperial Handbook, which I would pick up, if it weren't for the sticker price.

I do, however, have the Imperial Sourcebook from West End Games (and you can have it too, by going to the D6 Holocron and getting it from 'downloads'). According to the ImpSB, out of the four star destroyers, only the Imperial I has a slower hyperdrive. In terms of sublight, they have the following stats:

Victory I: 4

Victory II: 6

Imperial I: 6

Imperial II: 6

Of course, I do not expect FFG to adhere to the lore of WEG (and they haven't), but I would like them to adhere to the lore of Daniel Wallace's Imperial Handbook, as that is a much more recent publication. That said, I'm not confident that they'll do that either. It looks like the Lucasfilm Story Group is not seeking to actively integrate their lore with Wallace's Essential Atlas, which is my favorite source of lore (aside from the films).

I think people are forgetting that speed in space is relative. Ships can go .1 the speed of light and if another ship is doing .1, they are still just doing .1 the speed of light. The difference in speeds I believe is acceleration. Smaller ships need less thrust to accelerate them faster than large ships.

What the fluff us saying about the Falcon is that it can accelerate much faster than an ISD so it can out run them. That is until they match velocities. It is likely that the ISD which has a much greater thrust to weight ratio compared to the VSD will be faster but we shall see.

Edited by Lyraeus

ISD will have speed 3. spanish distributors posted a pic on their instagram. not very clear, but clear enough to see it has 3 levels of speed. :)

https://instagram.com/p/1u-PKchkHH/

Vader looks to be 36 points and the ISD looks to have 2 digits of point. . . . (i am thinking it looks like 97 but it's unclear) also remember these are subject to change. These might just be for testing purposes

I thunk people are forgetting that speed in space is relative. Ships can go .1 the speed of light and if another ship is doing .1, they are still just doing .1 the speed of light. The difference in speeds I believe is acceleration. Smaller ships need less thrust to accelerate them faster than large ships.

What the fluff us saying about the Falcon is that it can accelerate much faster than an ISD so it can out run them. That is until they match velocities. It is likely that the ISD which has a much greater thrust to weight ratio compared to the VSD will be faster but we shall see.

Star Wars doesn't exactly follow the rules of physics all that closely. :)

I thunk people are forgetting that speed in space is relative. Ships can go .1 the speed of light and if another ship is doing .1, they are still just doing .1 the speed of light. The difference in speeds I believe is acceleration. Smaller ships need less thrust to accelerate them faster than large ships.

It does explain why an ISD is faster than a VSD. Where it does not follow physics is in the Fighters. Fighters should be slower and not as maneuverable as they are.  

A high speed and terrible turn rate would not help the ISD

it would for surprise rounds (esp with tarkin + navigate command shooting it up to speed 3, which will let you blow up some poor fool next round if you have initiative) and for racing to objects

the whatever title shooting the command stack down to 2 will help with shenanigans, as will defensive liason

Edited by ficklegreendice

This much was made clear on the preview:

Imperial I-class Star Destroyer

Hull: 11

Anti-squadron: one black, one blue

Command: 3

Squadron: 4

Defense: 2 redirect, one contain, one brace. (Expansion comes with an evade token, so presumably the other variant has that as an option)

Then from the blurry picture, I'd guess...

Speed 1: 1 click

Speed 2: ???

Speed 3: no click, one click, ???

Front armament: 3 red, two blue, 3 black?

Sides: two red two black?

Back: three?

It does explain why an ISD is faster than a VSD. Where it does not follow physics is in the Fighters. Fighters should be slower and not as maneuverable as they are.  

Newton's second law: Force = Mass * Acceleration

Fighters have little mass and thus need little force to have a large rate of accelerate(in all directions). The ISD would need more force than the VSD, but I guess it has it.

That said, be happy with Star Wars the way it is. If I were truly accurate to physics, it would get very boring.