Sign in to follow this  
Marinealver

Will SLAM kill Ion Control?

So let me see if I understand how this works. Lets say K-wing gets hit by an Ion cannon and takes the 1 damage (which is nothing) and the ion token. After it reveals the Ion White 1 straight the slam allows it to do an additional maneuver at the cost of firing weapons. So technically a K-wing can use it to get out of a firing arc.

I mean right now control is pretty light in the meta. It takes on average 2 ships to control a single ship. So how do you think Ion and SLAM will be affected?

So let me see if I understand how this works. Lets say K-wing gets hit by an Ion cannon and takes the 1 damage (which is nothing) and the ion token. After it reveals the Ion White 1 straight the slam allows it to do an additional maneuver at the cost of firing weapons. So technically a K-wing can use it to get out of a firing arc.

I mean right now control is pretty light in the meta. It takes on average 2 ships to control a single ship. So how do you think Ion and SLAM will be affected?

You don't reveal a maneuver when you're dealing with ion effects.

SLAM doesn't care. You choose and execute a maneuver that appears on the dial, with the only restriction being that it must be the same speed as the maneuver you executed this round. Whether or not there was a dial revealed doesn't matter.

What would matter is that you just gave up attacking in exchange for a glorified boost action. Probably not a great idea in most situations.

EDIT: For reference, here's the SLAM Action reference card. I see no mention of the dial needing to be revealed anywhere.

swx33_card_ref_04.png

Edited by DR4CO

SLAM doesn't care. You choose and execute a maneuver that appears on the dial, with the only restriction being that it must be the same speed as the maneuver you executed this round. Whether or not there was a dial revealed doesn't matter.

What would matter is that you just gave up attacking in exchange for a glorified boost action. Probably not a great idea in most situations.

Ok ... you're going to take a hit from an Ion during the combat phase after all movement and actions have taken place.

On the next turn you do not set or use a manoeuvre dial - you will not be SLAMing on that turn

Ok ... you're going to take a hit from an Ion during the combat phase after all movement and actions have taken place.

On the next turn you do not set or use a manoeuvre dial - you will not be SLAMing on that turn

Stop making assumptions and go read what the SLAM reference card actually says. Nowhere does it look for what maneuver was on your revealed dial; it only cares about what speed maneuver you executed. If you are ionised, you execute a straight-1. You are then free to SLAM into another 1-speed maneuver that appears on the K-wing's dial.

It just won't be a brilliant idea most of the time because you trade attacking for what is basically a generic boost action (as I doubt the K-wing will have hard-1s). Advanced SLAM-ing into an actual boost would make the amount of movement more relevant, but that requires 6 points worth of upgrades to setup.

Edited by DR4CO

Group oops for everyone that didn't read the SLAM card. I also thought you couldn't SLAM if you were Ioned.

However, SLAM is not going to kill Ion, it interacts with Ion in the same way as any small ship that can boost, except of course it's strictly worse since you can't shoot that turn. Not to mention that it's pretty hard to arc-dodge the most common source of Ion tokens, which is the Ion Turret.

Edit: Large ships killed Ion as a mechanic years ago, baddah-bah!!

Edited by Tvboy

Stop making assumptions and go read what the SLAM reference card actually says. Nowhere does it look for what maneuver was on your revealed dial; it only cares about what speed maneuver you executed. If you are ionised, you execute a straight-1. You are then free to SLAM into another 1-speed maneuver that appears on the K-wing's dial.

So it is the same thing as regular boosting after doing a one speed straight... and shuts off it's guns for that turn.... how will ion ever be good again?!?!?! :P

Ion control is pretty terrible anyway. Stress is where its at

In order to have control you either need to stress-ion combination or double stress. That is why I say control on average takes 2 ships to control 1 ship. Some situations require 3, only a select ship builds can accomplish this by themselves but only if the situation is right.

Really? A Kwing with slam killing a tactic? Geez, stop crying. A Kwing will be just as easy to melt as any other agility ONE ship in the game. Grow up and think about the big picture.

Well, that may be a bit harsh.

he wasn't actually crying about it. Slightly hyperbolic clickbait type thread title aside, he was really just asking for thoughts... its not a bad question to ask. It is hard to tell how good/bad something will be till it hits the table.

You will have to choose a one speed maneuver, so it's not any different than a good after ionization.

And we don't even know if the K-Wing has any meaningful speed-1 maneuvers.  It could have some serious limitations there - no '1' maneuvers, or even just a 1-straight.

That'd make a post-ionization SLAM attempt...a somewhat silly use of an action.

Really? A Kwing with slam killing a tactic? Geez, stop crying. A Kwing will be just as easy to melt as any other agility ONE ship in the game. Grow up and think about the big picture.

Overreacting to other people's overreaction is perhaps the new height of silliness. Does his question really warrant such a response? You could just respond to the question like a polite person, or see that others already have and move on.

Edit: Hilariously, I got Ninja'd by someone making similar points, creating some sort of meta hyper-irony.

Edited by GiraffeandZebra

EDIT: For reference, here's the SLAM Action reference card. I see no mention of the dial needing to be revealed anywhere.

swx33_card_ref_04.png

You can't jam the SLAM, son. 

Thanks for the clarification, DR4C0. 

(though I have a feeling this will be one of those situations warranting a direct FAQ response)

It just won't be a brilliant idea most of the time because you trade attacking for what is basically a generic boost action (as I doubt the K-wing will have hard-1s). Advanced SLAM-ing into an actual boost would make the amount of movement more relevant, but that requires 6 points worth of upgrades to setup.

I appreciate the clarification.  :)

And, as you said - most of the time it won't be worth much, but still, it's something that other ships can't do under similar circumstances.

fat turrets already killed ion control, buried the body, dug it up again, desecrated it, fed it to the dogs, shot the dogs, cooked them, ate them, and then left the digested, broken down molecules of ion control on the ground as compost

I don't see what the k-wing and SLAM can do that would be any worse

Edited by ficklegreendice

Why would it need clarification in s faq? It's already blatantly clear that you can do it.

There are already blatantly clear things in the FAQ.  I know this complaint comes up because they serve as both an FAQ and an Errata the way FFG writes them, but an FAQ is for frequently asked questions.  Regardless of whether the printed rules are clear or not, if it gets asked frequently, it goes in the FAQ.  So yes, this may go in the FAQ if it comes up enough.

Edited by GiraffeandZebra