Sign in to follow this  
George304

Need help with first repaint please

Unlike most of the FFG community I didn't paint the Mona Lisa on my first attempt..or second.. However I wasn't painting Xwing figures just old Kenner mini ships but same concept..

I'm simply struggling with the steps..

I've started my design idea with the simple SWTFA TIE.

I primed the figure with two coats of fine surface primer. WHITE

Now before I ruin this what are my steps to base coat, wash, detail areas, drybrushing, gloss?? Im not unrealistic thinking it's going to look like one the pros that are in absolute abundance here, but my goal is to gain the knowledge of a step by step process..

Thanks

Edited by George304

I primed the figure with two coats of fine surface primer. WHITE

Now before I ruin this what are my steps to base coat, wash, detail areas, drybrushing, gloss??

Priming is often unnecessary unless you're going to be painting a light color over a dark one or sharp markings. But that's what you're doing. One coat should have been enough.

Base coat with thinned paint, two or three skimpy coats as necessary. It avoids brush strokes and filling details.

Expect more trouble washing X-wing ships than 35mm figures. The cracks are finer, and washes love to pool and splotch on flat areas. Also expect the wash to darken everything slightly, so either pick a lighter base color to start with or plan on repainting much of the ship afterward.

Don't get too fancy on your coloring and shading. If you paint these ships like Warmachine figures, they'll look odd on the table next to stock ones.

Don't use a gloss varnish/sealer (except on windows and such, and put it on last). Use matte, or nothing.

Give every layer ample time to dry. Especially the wash!

How much do you think I can expect a thin brush on coat of vallejo acryllic matt varnish to darken the colors? I've finished my repaint and want to protect the paint from rubbing off, but I'm scared of ruining the paintjob.

S

First and foremost thin your paints this will help minimize visual brush strokes and keep you from losing the model detail.

thanks man.. I've seen a lot of the "citadel" brand which looks like a yogurt coming out when the ones I'd purchased look more like a milk when shook properly. Should I even thin that or just buy good paint?

I primed the figure with two coats of fine surface primer. WHITENow before I ruin this what are my steps to base coat, wash, detail areas, drybrushing, gloss??

Priming is often unnecessary unless you're going to be painting a light color over a dark one or sharp markings. But that's what you're doing. One coat should have been enough.Base coat with thinned paint, two or three skimpy coats as necessary. It avoids brush strokes and filling details.Expect more trouble washing X-wing ships than 35mm figures. The cracks are finer, and washes love to pool and splotch on flat areas. Also expect the wash to darken everything slightly, so either pick a lighter base color to start with or plan on repainting much of the ship afterward.Don't get too fancy on your coloring and shading. If you paint these ships like Warmachine figures, they'll look odd on the table next to stock ones.Don't use a gloss varnish/sealer (except on windows and such, and put it on last). Use matte, or nothing.Give every layer ample time to dry. Especially the wash!

Ok didn't know that these models don't always need priming.. But for this model, my intentions were to paint the tie from the trailer. I've begun the process by painting the black outline around the ties NEW white solar panels, so I felt I would've helped. Couple questions..

What brush specifically, like preferably an Amazon link where I could just got off your judgement perhaps? I'd like a fine tip brush with some stiffness, understandably probably the ideal brush for this therefore expensive ?

Do I paint the details of my model before washing ?

good initial advice is try several thin coats till you get the coverage you want rather than one thick one that will details

Thank you, I appreciate the help! Any other advice is strongly welcomed

Edited by George304

What brush specifically, like preferably an Amazon link where I could just got off your judgement perhaps? I'd like a fine tip brush with some stiffness, understandably probably the ideal brush for this therefore expensive ?

I'm not particularly strong on brush advice. I've only got a $5 set of natural hair fine-point brushes, size ranging from 0 to 10/0. Washing a big ship will be easier with something with some width. Drybrushing definitely wants something broad and inexpensive.

Do I paint the details of my model before washing ?

Not usually. (Check out Jay Adan's style: M3-A and HWK-290.)

It's been covered many times but I'll give my usual take from many years of working on Warhammer stuff: people will tell you that priming isn't necessary but it rarely hurts to do so. It really depends on how much you're painting over - if you're just touching up a few parts here and there (like making a Blue Squad Bwing) then some blue base paint from Games Workshop will probably work just fine. If you're totally changing the color of an entire model the way I am with the stuff I just primed this morning then it helps when building up layers.

Highlighting before or after washing depends on the look you're going for. Washing with stuff you get from Vallejo or Games Workshop really darkens the colors so it's best block out colors a shade or two higher than you think. Washing after highlighting - if you used the right hue - can have the effect of tying the highlights down to the layer below giving you a more blended look. If you're going for a more comic book cell-shaded look then highlighting after washing makes the brighter color stand out more.

If this is your first time painting minis then I recommend you start with a test model. Many of use have a couple of Games Workshop Space Marines with 75 layers of paint on them from repeated tests to the point where he looks like the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man. I have an Ork I call "Ted" for that duty who's been tragically lost amidst my huge collection of plastic crap.