Sign in to follow this  
Magnus Grendel

Who the @#?£$!!??....

[Minor Rant Warning. Apologies. Do not proceed if not wanting to deal with this.]

....is Talonbane Cobra?

I was very surprised to notice this guy's Pilot Skill - for the first time since wave II, a pilot has been added to the 'Top Tier' of Pilot Skill 9 alongside Baron Soontir Fel, The Dark Lord Of The Sith, Rogue Leader and The Man Who Shot First......

...Curious, I had a look around the internet. I was expecting to find a character with an awesome backstory I'd missed in the smuggler/bounty hunter novels (which I admit to not having read much; I'm much more an Empire/Rebellion reader).

Aside from having a daft sounding name, the only thing I can find on him is: 

Talonbane Cobra was a starfighter pilot that flew with the space forces of Black Sun, with whom he earned the title of ace. Cobra was killed at the Battle of Tansarii Point Station by forces working for the Car'das organization.

Given that the only time we know of this guy being in a fight, he was on the losing side and got himself killed, how the hell does he justify being PS9? This means a better pilot than all but one member each of the 181st and Rogue Squadron, than the Player Character(s) from X-wing and TIE Fighter, than Luke Bloody Skywalker.....

The whole bomber upgrade thing I can take or leave. But can anyone explain who this guy is?  

Edited by Magnus Grendel

Might be getting more info in other upcoming material, and in Galaxies he was presented as the boogeyman of fighter pilots.

Whoever he is, he clearly named himself!

Ooh, it might not even be one person.  More of a title or something, and each pilot who kills him takes up the mantle themself.  That way "Talonbane Cobra" is always the best Black Sun pilot out there.

Given that the only time we know of this guy being in a fight, he was on the losing side and got himself killed, how the hell does he justify being PS9? This means a better pilot than all but one member each of the 181st and Rogue Squadron, than the Player Character(s) from X-wing and TIE Fighter, than Luke Bloody Skywalker.....

What's worse is Tansaari Point Station I'm fairly sure is the opening level for Scum in Galaxies, which means he's being killed by the equivalent of Cartel Spacers.

Anyone who's seen me talk about pilot skill knows I have a thing about "the sanctity of PS9": I have no issue with the game only having 4 PS9 pilots and will argue against just about every PS9 custom pilot I see. A veteran is PS6, a full on ace pilot is PS7. PS8 is Luke gaddamn Skywalker.

That being said, I'm totally up for this piece of genius.

Ooh, it might not even be one person.  More of a title or something, and each pilot who kills him takes up the mantle themself.  That way "Talonbane Cobra" is always the best Black Sun pilot out there.
Edited by TIE Pilot

There's some info on the Tansarii Point Veteran Card - those pilots are p.s. 5 -  if they were cartel spacers that killed Cobra, they certainly got a heck of a lot better for surviving.

Let's assume Talonbane is worthy - and that he faced overwhelming forces at the Tansarii point battle, Let's also agree that just because he is P.S. 9 in a kihraxz doesn't mean he is P.S. 9 in an interceptor...

Let's face it: 'Talonbane Cobra' is just a wayward loser & drunkard. You know it's true,

That PS9 comes from the astromech piloting the ship behind the scenes, shaking it's little head while the 'Cobra' drools all over himself, muttering about his invincibility and the all of the accomplishments he fantasizes about having under his belt. 

Obviously its been done so that every faction has at least one PS9 pilot...

This is what frustrates me the most. I was originally under the impression that Scum deliberately did not have any PS9 pilots as part of their faction identity. They don't have aces, they have illegal gear and pilot abilities.

From the faction preview:

" Still, what they lack in military discipline and raw pilot skill they make up for with dirty tricks, highly illegal technology, unpredictable maneuvers, and some of the finest and wildest starships that money can buy"

That's second only to Droopy McCool as the dumbest Star Wars name I've seen, and that's considering the recent Sith names like Sidious, Tyrannus, and Maul, (plus Sheev and Wilhuff for terrible first names). If Lucas had continued making these we would have gotten Darth Scary and Darth Badass pretty soon. But at least we now know a little more about Star Wars fauna. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled in Ep. VII for any appearance of an actual cobra. 

Edited by PenguinBonaparte

I really like that idea. He's the Dread Pirate Roberts of Star Wars!

Well, no one would surrender to Talonbane Westley.

That's second only to Droopy McCool as the dumbest Star Wars name I've seen, and that's considering the recent Sith names like Sidious, Tyrannus, and Maul, (plus Sheev and Wilhuff for terrible first names). If Lucas had continued making these we would have gotten Darth Scary and Darth Badass pretty soon. But at least we now know a little more about Star Wars fauna. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled in Ep. VII for any appearance of an actual cobra.

I'm with you on that. Also, in the OT Darth sounded more like a name that a title. "You can't win, Darth", things like that, they always made it sound like a name.

But yeah, this is a bad name.

Edited by mazz0

Obviously its been done so that every faction has at least one PS9 pilot...

This is what frustrates me the most. I was originally under the impression that Scum deliberately did not have any PS9 pilots as part of their faction identity. They don't have aces, they have illegal gear and pilot abilities.

From the faction preview:

" Still, what they lack in military discipline and raw pilot skill they make up for with dirty tricks, highly illegal technology, unpredictable maneuvers, and some of the finest and wildest starships that money can buy"

That's what I thought of when this first came up. Shame.

I'm with you on that. Also, in the OT Darth sounded more like a name that a title. "You can't win, Darth", things like that, they always made it sound like a name.

But yeah, this is a bad name.

Lucas clearly made stuff up on the fly and changed things between films.  Like luke and leia were clearly not supposed to be siblings in ANH... he just thought that was cooler for ESB

Im sure 'Darth' was a first name when he wrote ANH and only later did he decided it makes a better title.

Put it this way if he *really* had planned out nine episodes and knew what he was doing in 1977 then when the falcon lands on the death star vader wouldnt ffeel a 'tremor' he'd be having a fliping seizure given that both his kids, his old mate, his two droids and a pilot who used to work for him landed on his front drive.....