FoeHammer618

Naturepocalypse scenario

So I wasn't as excited about this scenario until it hit me: dinosaurs. If nature is taking back the earth I could see dinosaurs reemerging from the current lizard species or possibly after years of surviving. What does everyone else think?

I don't see why nature would need to bring back dinosaurs to retake the earth. Simply have all the insect life on earth start attacking people and I think a good chunk of the human population is gone. But, if you want to run dinosaurs there is nothing stopping you from doing so.

Would you have it so the dinosaurs are rapidly evolved from other animals? Or, perhaps some dinosaurs were kept by the earth deep inside it's self for just this kind of situation.

Would you have it so the dinosaurs are rapidly evolved from other animals? Or, perhaps some dinosaurs were kept by the earth deep inside it's self for just this kind of situation.

Dinosaurs are really aliens who colonized Earth millennia ago.  Now their descendents from offworld have returned, and take umbrage at the fact that their colony was wiped out by tiny little ape-men.

I suppose that's stepping on the toes of the alien apocalypse book, but it's so cheesy it would be awesome by default.

There was a comic book series a while back called Xenozoic Tales. The premise was that civilization was destroyed by a genetically engineered plague that that caused the re-emergence of earlier species from their decendent's genetic code, resulting in the world being overrun by dinosaurs, mammoths, sabertooths, etc. Worth a look.

Edited by Adeptus-B

Have any of you seen Dinosaurs Attack (trading cards from the 80s and a comic from a few years ago)?

It has dinosaurs transported from their own time into our world by a science experiment gone wrong.

Said dinosaurs all want to kill humans (not just eat. Kill. Even the herbivores attack humans!)

But wait there's more:

Two words:

Dinosaur. satan.

Have any of you seen Dinosaurs Attack (trading cards from the 80s and a comic from a few years ago)?

It has dinosaurs transported from their own time into our world by a science experiment gone wrong.

Said dinosaurs all want to kill humans (not just eat. Kill. Even the herbivores attack humans!)

But wait there's more:

Two words:

Dinosaur. satan.

Oh yes, love that series of Cards.  I was thinking though, since it's the end of the world and the gods are having at it...what if they just used their supernatural powers to resurrect the dinosaurs?  :P  I mean, in a game where you can have nutty stuff like Zeus, Thor, and Cthulhu going at it, why not go for broke and have them resurrect dinos and mammoths and such?  :P  Plus, I'm sure space-time will probably break down when the Great Old Ones show up anyway. 

Also, on a unrelated note, I do remember a Robert E. Howard story (but I forget the title), where he made Thor a Lovecraftian entity/god. 

Sweet!

Tyranosaurus Deus: "THE TIME OF MAN IS OVER! NOW BEGINS THE REIGN OF THE SAURIAN!" Bwahahhaha!

Yeah i can definatly see this working.

Have you read the CoC supplement Malleus Monstorum? Its sort of an expanded bestiary of all the mythos deities and creatures (with some awesome "historical" images and art depicting said creatures) but best of all; it folds all sorts of other fictional characters into the mythos, such as Stephen King's "He who walkes behind the rows" and Randall Flagg (who is an avatar of Nyarlathotep of course.)

Sweet!

Tyranosaurus Deus: "THE TIME OF MAN IS OVER! NOW BEGINS THE REIGN OF THE SAURIAN!" Bwahahhaha!

Yeah i can definatly see this working.

Have you read the CoC supplement Malleus Monstorum? Its sort of an expanded bestiary of all the mythos deities and creatures (with some awesome "historical" images and art depicting said creatures) but best of all; it folds all sorts of other fictional characters into the mythos, such as Stephen King's "He who walkes behind the rows" and Randall Flagg (who is an avatar of Nyarlathotep of course.)

I really like the avatar of Cthulhu who is a giant power surge on the electrical network. :)

Hey well waddayaknow? 7th ed. Mind you I haven't been folowing CoC much after the 1950s book. ('cuz that was two things Ilike: 50's and Mythos) The site does say it's backwards compatible with all other available chaosium titles, so I wouldn't throw out the mallus monstorum just yet.

Just finished reading "The Next Species: The Future of Evolution in the Aftermath of Man" by Michael Tennesen.  One of the topics he mentions is Pleistocene rewilding; the use of megafauna proxies from other continents to fill the roles left vacant by the loss of our native Pleistocene megafauna.  Elephants to fill the vacancies left by mammoths and mastodons for example, lions and cheetahs for the native subspecies lost at the end of the last ice age.  He didn't say anything about artificial wombs but with advances in technology it might be possible to bring back some species directly instead of using substitutes. 

He did mention global warming, antibiotic resistant diseases, rising sea levels, soil depletion, shifting weather patterns, and contaminated water but failed to mention salt water encroachment.  The next two decades should be unpleasantly surprising and problematic for human survival.

The book came out in 2015 before the antivaccination cult got people to stop vaccinating their kids against measles so he didn't mention that either.  I saw in the morning paper how measles infections are increasing.  I don't have a scientific calculator to do logarithms on but I believe it is a logarithmic progression.  I think we had about 5000 die during the influenza epidemic and I guess that we will reach 5000 measles infections before people realize that the disease is more dangerous than the vaccine.

So, collapse of ice sheets raise sea levels one or two feet killing tens of thousands and dislocating millions.  Drought, soil depletion, and salt water encroachment lead to crop failure resulting in famine.  Predator loss leads to the spread of disease carrying vermin, along with antibiotic resistant disease, and decreased sanitation resulting in epidemic outbreaks of disease.  Also we can expect fighting over access to drinkable water. 

I Just read this lovely little Blog from Organic Consumer

Positively Frightening

microscopic view of a bacteria cell

As if industrial factory farms weren’t bad enough, now they’ve brought us something new to worry about: a fungus, described as “deadly” and “mysterious,” that preys on people whose immune systems are already compromised.

Last year, Candida auris (C. auris) killed an elderly man who was admitted to the Mount Sinai Hospital in Brooklyn. According to the New York Times:

The man at Mount Sinai died after 90 days in the hospital, but C. auris did not. Tests showed it was everywhere in his room, so invasive that the hospital needed special cleaning equipment and had to rip out some of the ceiling and floor tiles to eradicate it.

Dr. Scott Lorin, the hospital’s president told the Times:

“Everything was positive — the walls, the bed, the doors, the curtains, the phones, the sink, the whiteboard, the poles, the pump. The mattress, the bed rails, the canister holes, the window shades, the ceiling, everything in the room was positive.”

C. auris is one of dozens of dangerous bacteria and fungi that have developed resistance. Similar to how antibiotics are overused in livestock, scientists believe that overapplication of fungicides to prevent food crops from rotting may be contributing to drug-resistant fungi.