Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Despereaux

Q+A of deck building and cards

Recommended Posts

 

I've been collecting the cards for awhile now.  I play yugioh on a regular basis and needed a break from the game.  So I've gotten bored and decided to pick up KH.  So I've been going over the website for a week now looking at everyone's  various deck lists and checking out some of the popular cards.  I do have some questions though. I'm working on 2 decks right now one being a valor and the other being a dark deck. Obviously I'm a new to the game, so plz be gentle.

I also have been buying packs whenever I find them. I picked up my first starter deck at Barnes&Nobles(who knew?), purchased the new starter decks, and now I've bought about 20 of breaking dawn.  I've also found a few key packs and what nots here and there. Hopefully this gives you a idea of what I have and don't have.

1. What are some of the more popular decks to play? (i.e. What's consider some of the more meta decks?)

2. How exactly does the Dark Player card aspect of the game work? I have an Ansem player card. It looks cool but then again I know just because something looks cool doesn't mean it's any good. I would like to build a dark deck.

3. Are there any staples needed to build aggro decks? I'm working on my valor deck, while I think it's awesome, looking at some of the decks here have really told me otherwise.

4. What are some of the needed player cards to have and where do I get them?

5. I have maaged to collect all the base set simba cards, I think they are amazing, am I wrong?

6. What are some good world cards to have when building valor and dark deck?

7. Is the wisdom form any good or do I just like the color blue?

8. How do I build an aggro deck?  What should I put in there and what do I need to avoid?

9. Is there any kind of ban list or restricted list that I'm missing? I know the rule on promos. 

10. What kind of heartless are good?  I

11. Maybe, because I'm unsure of what some cards do, but I don't see alot of draw power in decks.  Not many decklists have a call for bambi of any level or bouncywild.  Do these cards suck or is there not a huge need for draw power in this game?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despereaux said:

1. What are some of the more popular decks to play? (i.e. What's consider some of the more meta decks?)

Light/Aggro or World Racers.

Despereaux said:

2. How exactly does the Dark Player card aspect of the game work? I have an Ansem player card. It looks cool but then again I know just because something looks cool doesn't mean it's any good. I would like to build a dark deck.

Dark/Aggro loses 9 times out of 10. Light/Aggro has a lot of field control, and since Dark decks rely on having lots of Friends out, they tend to get blown away pretty quickly.

Despereaux said:

3. Are there any staples needed to build aggro decks? I'm working on my valor deck, while I think it's awesome, looking at some of the decks here have really told me otherwise.

Monstro LVL1. Valor Form. The King. Sephiroth. Auron. Jack Sparrow. Simba.

Despereaux said:

4. What are some of the needed player cards to have and where do I get them?

Sora LVL1, Flag Sora (Promo Sora LVL2) if you're running Light/Aggro or Light WR. There's an alright Riku available at level 2, Dark Riku LVL3. Ansem might look cool, but he sucks.

Despereaux said:

5. I have maaged to collect all the base set simba cards, I think they are amazing, am I wrong?

No. They are still quite staple.

Despereaux said:

6. What are some good world cards to have when building valor and dark deck?

If you're thinking about casting Magic a lot, grab Agrabah LVL2, Wonderland LVL2 and Deep Jungle LVL2. Also Monsto LVL1 for field control.

Despereaux said:

7. Is the wisdom form any good or do I just like the color blue?

I like it. It's definitely good for WR and it can be used for Aggro. It's not exactly a mainstream card though.

Despereaux said:

8. How do I build an aggro deck? What should I put in there and what do I need to avoid?

See question 3 for what you need. What to avoid comes down to how you play the deck really.

Despereaux said:

9. Is there any kind of ban list or restricted list that I'm missing? I know the rule on promos.

Nope.

Despereaux said:

10. What kind of heartless are good? I

Bouncywild should always be used IMO. CoWG is useful, Cerberus, Hydra, DragMal. The Dark/Villains are known for being awesome as well.

Despereaux said:

11. Maybe, because I'm unsure of what some cards do, but I don't see alot of draw power in decks. Not many decklists have a call for bambi of any level or bouncywild. Do these cards suck or is there not a huge need for draw power in this game?

You draw up to 6 cards a turn, not without any random draw cards on top of that. Draw power isn't a major issue in this game.

However, there are 2 'draw engines' though they might be getting removed as soon as me and the other errata-writers sit down and fix things. The Aggrobah/Agrabah Aggro/Agrabah whatever, which relies on having a Sora/Riku/Dark Riku as a Player and Agrabah cards. The other is the Olympus engine which uses Olympus cards to draw lots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add onto what Troth said:

 

Good Dark Cards - these also include Behemoth, Gargoyle, Stealth Sneak, and Parasite Cage...Wizard is also good as a Dark friend, but not so much as a Dark Card.

Draw Power - Cards like Bambi have started to dissapear simply because of Owl and other field control cards, this has also hurt Simba's playability a bit as well and requires you to play around their control. Tidus to kill the Owl for example.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Thanks for all the info thus far. I'm also curious on some of the jargon used. I'm new so you'll have to break things down to help me out.  More questions if it's not a lot of trouble.

1. What are the princess cards?  I have CInderalla and Snow White.  Snow White requires a lot of friends.  Can you really play all those friends?  I've read the rule book.  It says unlimited.  Is it really? Are these cards any good?

2. What is any easy deck to run for someone starting out?  I'm thinking my Aggro Valor deck but I may be wrong. 

3. Could you explain some of the draw power engines to me?

I really appreciate the help.  I'm wanting to get more into the game. There are not any tournaments around me and no one else plays that I know.  I've got four other people interested and I'm trying to help them out with learning the game too.  So my last question is:

*Are there any technical things I should know?  (i.e. In yugioh, we have a lot of strategy of when to play things, how things are used, and of course my favorite timing.)*

I would also like to thank you guys for helping me out a lot. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despereaux said:


I'm also curious on some of the jargon used. I'm new so you'll have to break things down to help me out.

Aggro, Joat and WR are pretty much all there is to it. We'll occasionally refer to a card as 'DiZ'd' or whatever, but it's kind of made up on the spot.

Oh, and you need to get that Aggrobah = Aggro Agrabah deck.

Despereaux said:

1. What are the princess cards? I have CInderalla and Snow White. Snow White requires a lot of friends. Can you really play all those friends? I've read the rule book. It says unlimited. Is it really? Are these cards any good?

Cinderella? Why can't I remember a Cinderella card...

Yes, your Friend zone has infinite space, until a Monstro LVL1 gets played.

Despereaux said:

2. What is any easy deck to run for someone starting out? I'm thinking my Aggro Valor deck but I may be wrong.

Any WR. Aggro Valor.

Easiest decks in existence.

Despereaux said:

3. Could you explain some of the draw power engines to me?

Agrabah relies on Wishing Lamp Equipment. With Wishing Lamp equipped, you get to draw 1 card for every 'Agrabah' card played, which includes Worlds entitled 'Agrabah' and any Friend card with the 'Agrabah' world icon on it (Only from set IV).

Someone else will have to explain Olympian draw engine as I didn't read enough into it.

Despereaux said:

*Are there any technical things I should know? (i.e. In yugioh, we have a lot of strategy of when to play things, how things are used, and of course my favorite timing.)*

Hmmmm....I'm going to leave this question with this rather ominous answer. I advise that you wait a week or two before you look too much into this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trothael said:

Despereaux said:

 


I'm also curious on some of the jargon used. I'm new so you'll have to break things down to help me out.

 

 

Aggro, Joat and WR are pretty much all there is to it. We'll occasionally refer to a card as 'DiZ'd' or whatever, but it's kind of made up on the spot.

Oh, and you need to get that Aggrobah = Aggro Agrabah deck.

Despereaux said:

 

1. What are the princess cards? I have CInderalla and Snow White. Snow White requires a lot of friends. Can you really play all those friends? I've read the rule book. It says unlimited. Is it really? Are these cards any good?

 

 

Cinderella? Why can't I remember a Cinderella card...

Yes, your Friend zone has infinite space, until a Monstro LVL1 gets played.

 

I pulled the CInderella and Snow white out of the Break of Dawn pack tuesday.  They have a little "P" on the bottom right corner and no number. 

Also what is Joat? I'm also wondering if the Mysterious Boy deck is worth building?  I noticed it says it can only play certain friends. Does that mean you can't play XII cards as friend cards?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despereaux said:

Trothael said:

 

Despereaux said:

 


I'm also curious on some of the jargon used. I'm new so you'll have to break things down to help me out.

 

 

Aggro, Joat and WR are pretty much all there is to it. We'll occasionally refer to a card as 'DiZ'd' or whatever, but it's kind of made up on the spot.

Oh, and you need to get that Aggrobah = Aggro Agrabah deck.

Despereaux said:

 

1. What are the princess cards? I have CInderalla and Snow White. Snow White requires a lot of friends. Can you really play all those friends? I've read the rule book. It says unlimited. Is it really? Are these cards any good?

 

 

Cinderella? Why can't I remember a Cinderella card...

Yes, your Friend zone has infinite space, until a Monstro LVL1 gets played.

 

 

 

I pulled the CInderella and Snow white out of the Break of Dawn pack tuesday.  They have a little "P" on the bottom right corner and no number. 

Also what is Joat? I'm also wondering if the Mysterious Boy deck is worth building?  I noticed it says it can only play certain friends. Does that mean you can't play XII cards as friend cards?

SAY WHAT?

EASILY AVAILABLE PROMOS

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

 

Joat stands for Jack Of All Trades. It's a deck that contains Aggro and WR in equalish balance

Roxas deck is quite viable. In fact it won the only tournament KH has this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I do have those princess cards. So that "P" means promo then?  It was in the pack. Also pegasus says all "olympus coliseum" cards. Does this mean phil, hercules, and the hydra? 

I'm sorry I have a lot questions, but as I said, I'm trying to teach 4 other people how to play.  Two of which are with me now asking questions too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, be thankful you're talking to one of the errata writers then :P

Note the difference between Set IV Friends and the other set's Friends. They've got a 'Home World Icon' somewhere about themselves. In Set IV that should be Pegasus, Megara, Phil, Hercules.

Dark Cards from set IV get the Home World Icon thing as well, so yeah: Hydra.

 

As for promos >.< Whosoever prints cards for FFG need to get their act together. Promos are meant to be difficult to obtain ¬_¬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trothael said:

Either. It prevents your death.

LOL

Thanks for all your help I'll post again with my deck list as soon as I get a chance.  I'd like some help with it if it's not too much trouble.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, yeah...I was wondering how you got a Snow White and Cinderella...

Snow White was only given out to top players at GenCon and Cinderella hasn't been released yet (Jaffer showed it to me, along with Belle and Aurora), but I haven't seen it in print form.

As HighJack said though...with Monstro Level 1 being such an Aggro Staple, it would be incredibly difficult to rely on Snow White's ability.

 

To better explain the Olympus Draw Engine...It's usually a Valor Aggro deck, that runs the Olympia Equipment Card.  all the worlds are usually Olympus Coliseum and plays a lot of Olympus Coliseum Friends (Friends from Set IV with the Olympus Coliseum Symbol, all others before Set IV don't count.) These include: Phil, Hercules, Megara and Pegasus...Pegasus being the Engine that will allow you to draw cards off of. Also as you mentioned, Olympus Coliseum Dark Cards also fit into this deck, as they will also let you draw cards from Pegasus, They include:  Cerberus, Hydra, Pain, Panic (Not Hades though, he hurts all your Olympus Friends, lol.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trothael said:

Well, be thankful you're talking to one of the errata writers then :P

Note the difference between Set IV Friends and the other set's Friends. They've got a 'Home World Icon' somewhere about themselves. In Set IV that should be Pegasus, Megara, Phil, Hercules.

Dark Cards from set IV get the Home World Icon thing as well, so yeah: Hydra.

 

As for promos >.< Whosoever prints cards for FFG need to get their act together. Promos are meant to be difficult to obtain ¬_¬

Chotiz pulled Aurora too, so lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*coff* 

I don't know what you're talkin bout.  I didn't just pull Aurora, but the other lvl 3 Sora promo too....... in the same pack!!  VWooT!!

*coff coff* 

I mean, what?  Who?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Choitz said:

*coff* 

I don't know what you're talkin bout.  I didn't just pull Aurora, but the other lvl 3 Sora promo too....... in the same pack!!  VWooT!!

*coff coff* 

I mean, what?  Who?

C'mere.....lemme chop off that foot....I need some good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

I don't have a scanner.  I'm thinking about ordering a new camera for putting stuff on ebay.  I do have the Cinderalle card though.  It's effect is decent.  It just searches out the end of the world card.  I was looking at those world cards and they didn't seem that great.  I'm thinking the princess cards are the equivelent to secret rares in yugioh.  I maybe wrong, but I was also thinking that the "P"  at the bottom right hand of the card stands for princess, but after reading all the current posts I've found I'm wrong....again. :(

On other news, I've managed to stumble across the olympia draw myself.  I've built this awesome aggro valor deck (atleast I think it's awesome).  As soon as I get a day off from work I'm planning to post my deck and get your opinions.  On the subject though, should I run lvl 1 monstro in it?  I've managed to build the whole deck around that draw enging while maintaining high support with friends and equip cards.  All the world cards in my deck right now are currently olympia.  My world count is 3,3,3,3,1.  Good or Bad?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

a bunch of 3s and a 1 is bad if you're world racing, though you said it was an aggro deck, so is this a Joat thing?  probably still bad to have that high of world counts.  Monstro is pretty staple, but if your deck relies on having a lot of friends out, then it's probably not so good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 33313 is the ideal way to WR though, with the 1 being a disney castle.  The problem is that now, with Monstro, you need to be able to clear 3 dark cards off a world with 3 friends.  And you need to be able to do it without magic, in case Phil is out.

 

World crawling seems to be the way to go right now, especially because it blanks the Cave of Wonders Guardian if you only have lvl 1 worlds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...