Sign in to follow this  
NewTroski

New Wave 2 size estimates

I know that we won't get 100% accurate results from scaling photographs, and I have tried to be clear where I have made assumptions and estimates. 

However, I think I am getting pretty close. I went back and used the same technique on the ships we already know, and got estimates of 56mm for the CR-90, 89mm for the Neb-B, and 143mm for the VSD. When I estimate the Raider from the pic, I got 57mm, so right in line with the CR-90. All less than 5% off of the actual value.

This is really just me following along with where some simple estimation techniques and math take me. I find it interesting, so I plan to keep up with it as more stuff comes out. I am not saying this model is right or wrong, rather, it is the best cohesive explanation for the available evidence I have right now. Another explanation could be that FFG is treating every model individually with no overarching system, in which case it is just an amazing coincidence and my bad luck that the first few models coincide so neatly with a logarithmic scale ;)

I know that we won't get 100% accurate results from scaling photographs, and I have tried to be clear where I have made assumptions and estimates. 

However, I think I am getting pretty close. I went back and used the same technique on the ships we already know, and got estimates of 56mm for the CR-90, 89mm for the Neb-B, and 143mm for the VSD. When I estimate the Raider from the pic, I got 57mm, so right in line with the CR-90. All less than 5% off of the actual value.

This is really just me following along with where some simple estimation techniques and math take me. I find it interesting, so I plan to keep up with it as more stuff comes out. I am not saying this model is right or wrong, rather, it is the best cohesive explanation for the available evidence I have right now. Another explanation could be that FFG is treating every model individually with no overarching system, in which case it is just an amazing coincidence and my bad luck that the first few models coincide so neatly with a logarithmic scale ;)

I think you are pretty close. Good work. We know the ISD will be bigger than the VSD and I think we are pretty confident it will be smaller than it should be if it had the same scale as the VSD. My guess was around 190-200mm just based on comparisons and educated guesses. 200mm would put it at a ~1/8000 scale.

Unfortunately, there isn't a nice long vertical piece for me to use for comparison, so getting height values is more difficult. Using photo techniques, I get numbers from 56-94 mm, not very consistent. If we assume the length/height ratio of the ISD is the same as the VSD, and assume that the ISD length is 215mm, that gives a height of about 63mm... which is within the range, but the range is kinda terrible. So in this case, I think your eyes will give as good an estimate as this technique, sorry.

As someone who went to Celebration (and it was great) I spent a lot of time staring at the ISD, just because it was so beautiful.

However, while I can't provide accurate dimensions, this thing is Big. Almost X-Wing Rebel Transport big. It's definitely going to be bumping into some things unless the player plans well ahead.

I simply measured the ship cards (2.5" wide) then took the pic and used the tops of the cards which are visible to come up with 7.5-8" for an ISD. I doubt I will be far off. I assume there will be tears of nerd-rage over my measurements hahaha