Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

What Ships are Left for waves plus other questions.

Crabbok asked the question in the forum how many waves does X-wing need, (https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/171589-how-many-waves-does-x-wing-actually-need/)

As a follow-up what ships are left and with the EU being destroyed will we see new ship based on the new star wars lore? (I believe FFG worked with Disney to create the raider)

Will we see different ways to play or elements introduced unto the game?

(Maybe defend a position being legal in turny of the idea of planets as a base where your ships are launched from on something bigger then 3X3)

Aces are a great way to spice up new ships but could we see overhauls of units like Warhammer does down the road more then just Aces? (A re-balancing of ships and upgrades that are pointless, like expose)

Sorry if this is a lot, it is just is burning in my head what the future will look like.

Edited by Cubanboy

Well, hopefully Episode VII will feature enough new ships to cover the time window until Episode VIII's out. Plus, as you said, they created ex nihilo the Raider, so, I'm expecting this to happen again.

And I want a MonCalamari huge ship. And a Nebulon B frigate.

Well, hopefully Episode VII will feature enough new ships to cover the time window until Episode VIII's out. Plus, as you said, they created ex nihilo the Raider, so, I'm expecting this to happen again.

They're too big. Just the Nebulon-B frigate would be like three feet long on the table.

XG1, R41 T-wing, the galaxies scum ships, mist hunter, missile boat, the prequel ships, scimitar assault bomber, the cloakshape, the XWA invented pirate ships, persuer...

Lots of ships to add. Any one of these INCLUDING THE PERSUER (slave 2) I would have added before the tie interdictor or Kwing. But there we go.

There's a ton of EU legends material left, but most of it (for rebels and imperials anyway) is either going to be controversial (like the K-wing and Interpunisher) or too obscure for MOST people to get excited about.

According to Alex Davey they are already working on wave 8 so I would assume they are going to introduce the Episode VII stuff then.  Or they could pull from Rebels, which has given them a few ships to work with that are more well known.

So I guess the *real* question is how will wave 8 fit into the current game?

a.  wave 8 will be X-wing 2nd Edition.  It will not be compatible with previous waves and will have 2 factions:  First Order and Resistance.

b.  wave 8 will introduce 2 new factions to the current game:  First Order and Resistance.

c.  wave 8 will introduce new ships to existing factions:  Rebels, Imperials and Scum.

I'd think that given how hard Disney seems to fighting any spoilers from being unleashed prior to their marketing strategy, I highly doubt we'll see much of anything E7 related until after E7 has its theatrical release. My guess would be that any E7 tie-in for a Wave 8 release/announcement wouldn't come until after E7 is out. If FFG is going to keep pushing with Epic play, then a S&V huge ship needs to come out and I think that would be a good place-holder Wave 7.5 kind of release to keep everyone quiet until E7 comes out.

They're too big. Just the Nebulon-B frigate would be like three feet long on the table.

Interesting. I was wondering about Nebulon just because the CR90 and the Nebulon B in Armada are similar in size

Depends what you want to consider "left".  There's a lot of EU stuff from video games and comics mostly, I mention those because we know what they look like.  

are we all forgetting the **** Hot TIE Avenger? 

15-500x375.jpg

I would love to see that. Thing is, wouldn't it essentialy just be another interceptor?

Interesting. I was wondering about Nebulon just because the CR90 and the Nebulon B in Armada are similar in size

Armada uses a sliding scale for its ships.  Otherwise it would get unweildly.

X-wing has a firm scale of 1/270 for small and large ships.  Epic ships use a different scale (I forget what it is) but it is still a fairly firm one.  

Edit: grammar and  :ph34r: 'd

Edited by Jaster Mereel

Depends what you want to consider "left".  There's a lot of EU stuff from video games and comics mostly, I mention those because we know what they look like.  

15-500x375.jpg

I would love to see that. Thing is, wouldn't it essentialy just be another interceptor?

I think we're at the point where more ships will be crowding existing roles. What can FFG do to make an Avenger stand out from an Advanced or an Interceptor, or make it an expensive hybrid.

We have the K-Wing and Punisher coming in wave 7, but we already have the Y-Wing and the Tie Bomber.

If the K/P are better ordinance ships than the Y/Bomb, then they replace those ships. If they're worse, well they won't get played, if they have some squirrley new mechanic, then they run the risk of Phantom-ing and again having them dominate existing ship's roles.

Same basic problem faces any new ships they introduce.

Edited by Koing907

There are plenty of ships left. The real question is what roles are left to be filled? I would expect a second edition/update with some new mechanics at some point to introduce a greater number of possible roles. In terms of ships there are a great many, so that isn't the real question.

15-500x375.jpg

I think we're at the point where more ships will be crowding existing roles. What can FFG do to make an Avenger stand out from an Advanced or an Interceptor, or make it an expensive hybrid.

We have the K-Wing and Punisher coming in wave 7, but we already have the Y-Wing and the Tie Bomber.

If the K/P are better ordinance ships than the Y/Bomb, then they replace those ships. If they're worse, well they won't get played, if they have some squirrley new mechanic, then they run the risk of Phantom-ing and again having them dominate existing ship's roles.

Same basic problem faces any new ships they introduce.

I see the Avenger being that Interceptor-Advanced hybrid as it rightly should be.  It'll have a dial with close to the same options as the Interceptor, but with fewer greens, probably 3 attack die and 3 defense die, and then maybe three hull and one shield?

So very similar to the INT, but can take a slightly bigger beating and isn't quite as nimble.  And maybe TL and minor ordnance instead of boost.

If the K/P are better ordinance ships than the Y/Bomb, then they replace those ships. If they're worse, well they won't get played

I would expect them to be better, but to cost more points and offer some support to other ordinance carriers. I'm hoping to see lists using one K or Punisher with an element or two of Y/B or TIE/sa backing them up.

Well they have slave 1 and aggressor already. They are adding bossk's ship now. That leaves us dengar, 4lom, and zuckuss. Dengar's ship is really cool and would be a slick large ship to see. 4-lom and zuckuss used the same ship which would be a small one, and if released would probably include both hunters as pilot and crew, like dash rendar and leebo in the yt-2400.

It is even a little surprising to see bossk added before dengar, as I would think that ship would be better received.

I hope the hound's tooth includes some brutal trandoshan crew, too.

The Nebulon B's twice the length of the CR90.  It looks pretty good on the table, actually.

nb-cr90_zps0756cb3a.jpg

If they include EPVII stuff we'll probably see it around the time Hasbro reveals it's EPVII action figures this fall. My major concern will be the power curve for any of the new ships.

However, they could use the new X-wings to make them relevant in the meta again. New models plus a title card for the existing models?