Sign in to follow this  
tripecac

Revisting old quests, expansions, cycles

How often do you go back and revisit old quests? 

When you do revisit them, do you play through entire expansions and cycles, or do you just focus on your favorite single quests?

Also, do you play the old quests with "today's" decks, or do you limit yourself to "contemporary" decks (only those cards available at the time the quest was published)?

When the meta changes and new deck types become available I tend to go back and play almost every quest with the new deck, like with Gandalf, the Silvans and now the Dunedain after having played the new quests. I do skip about 5-10 quests which I really don't like or which are completely unsuitable to the deck type.

I started playing this game a year ago. I own Core, Mirkwood, Khazad-Dum + Dwarrowdelf, Hobbit saga, Heirs of Numenor + Against the Shadow, and Massing at Osgiliath, Battle of Lake-Town and Stone of Erech. That having been said, I have yet to play the last two quests in the second Hobbit expansion, and have not yet played HoN, AtS, or Stone of Erech.

When first playing quests, I first limit myself to cards that were available at the time of release. I like to get my money's worth for APs and expansions, so even after I win, I'll play them multiple times before moving on. I played all of Core and Mirkwood straight solo first, then played it all over again solo 2-handed with 2 decks… then played them again with different hero combinations. For KD/Dwarrowdelf/Hobbit, I have been doing it the other way around -- play everything 2-handed first, then straight solo (have not yet attempted the Hobbit quests straight solo).

Later, I intend to revisit those early cycles with more thematic decks -- dwarf decks, elf decks, etc, and especially other decks that are as thematically consistent with a cycle's storyline/historical timeline as possible (e.g., elf/ranger or elf/ranger/eagles decks for Mirkwood). At that point, any player cards will be fair game -- I have already proved that I can defeat the quests with cards available at the time of release straight solo and 2-handed (whether thematically or not), so if I'm developing thematic decks, the only limit will be the cards in my pool. I've attempted to play the Hobbit quests as thematically as possible, given the vast array of dwarf and dwarf-synergy cards available at that point in the game.

I have also ordered a fan-made PoD deck that adds cards for the Core/Mirkwood quests in order to transform them into a more cohesive campaign. I haven't played that PoD deck yet, but at a glance it looks good. 

And when I do revisit quests, I intend to revisit entire cycles rather than individual quests, but there may be occasional exceptions (e.g., I'm more likely to play Journey Along the Anduin as a stand alone, without necessarily playing Passage through Mirkwood or Escape from DG). If I can play the same solo or same pair of thematic decks with minimal changes through an entire cycle, it will make for a more satisfying "campaign" experience. I may also tinker around and see if I can create some home rules for cycles that were not designed with the campaign rules found in the LotR saga expansions.

And then, eventually, I'll have to get some of my friends on board in 2-4 player games, which should make for an entirely different experience. 

The only limits I have on replaying older quests pertain to time, money, and fun (any quest can be fun again if you give it a break and "rediscover" it later with a different set of decks)… and since I'm still a long ways from being caught up with all APs/expansions/PoD/Nightmare releases, I'm not worried that I'm in danger of exhausting the fun/replayability of any quest.

Edited by TwiceBornh

Im only a newbie, but already the way I am playing and intend to play is very similar and in the spirit of Twicebornh above.

Ive just beaten Journey Down The Anduin again and was going to step into Dol Gulder, but had a timslot not long enough so designed a new deck from different spheres instead with a view to taking that down Anduin and yet Ive realised I want to take it through Mirkwood first :)

1) I play old quests about as much as I do new quests.  I'm just as likely to pull out Journey Down the Anduin as I am Deadmen's Dike.

2) When I go back and play older quests, it's more on a "what do I feel like playing today with this deck" basis, so I skip around the cycles and generally play my personal favorites more than other quests.

3) I don't play contemporary because I have a limited enough card pool as it is so I don't want to limit myself further, plus I don't have any full cycles yet.

I still enjoy old quests. They feel more whimsical (thematically) than most of the recent ones, and it is fun to see if I can beat my best scores as new cards are released.

Context: I've been playing the game since it was first released and practically everything for the nightmare decks (of which I own just a handful).

While most of my focus is on playing recent quests / saga expansions as they are released due to limited time to play, when there comes a pause between cycles, I  go back and play through an entire earlier cycle.  I'll create a themed set of decks to do this (I play two handed solo almost all the time) and so, to answer you question - no I don't limit myself to just the cards that were available at the time the quest came out.  As needed I may swap some heroes and tune decks along the way - so it's not a case of "One pair of decks to defeat the cycle" type of thing.  For instance, right now I'm currently working my way through Heirs of Numenor + Against the Shadow using Silvan / Noldor (primary) with Rangers (minor).

The older quests are still fun, especially since the mechanics are always changing.  Going back to an older cycle I get to rediscover what treacheries / locations / enemies I used to hate all over again. 

As a last note: over time the oldest of the quests do get quite easy with the full card pool. But, as Glauring noted, that's when Nightmare decks are for.  :)

Quest tracking:  I use Google Spreadsheets to keep track of the decks I use.  As decks evolve I just add new tabs to the spreadsheet so I can follow the progression over time. There's a spot on the sheet to track what quests the decks were used for.

I used to keep track of score, but grew tired of the book keeping. I also realized that what mattered to me what really just how often a deck would win or lose, so now I just have a win column with entries like "2 of 3".  

As a last note: over time the oldest of the quests do get quite easy with the full card pool. But, as Glauring noted, that's when Nightmare decks are for.  :)

Some of the old quests were already easy with the cards available at the time of release...

How do you keep track of the quests you've played, and (if you're keeping track) the scores you received?

Do you use a spreadsheet?  Notebook?  The FFG score sheets?

So far, spreadsheet. But I've been falling behind, lately, so not sure how much longer I will want to spend time catching up on "data entry"… 

Some old quests are so cool! Specially in Nightmare mode

You just don't stop for loving those beasties  :P

I myself only have Emyn Muil quest as nightmare but it's just amazing, so thematic and challenging but still at the same time really enjoyalbe quest. Especially those nameless thingies and Brambles and thorns locations are causing to me serious problems all the time.

But to the topic:

I (or we) play always new quests if i have them and try to beat them, but if i don't have them i usually try to make a new high score or test new decks and combos by playing quests that are good for those decks.

Depends on whether we're in the "drought" or "flood" period of releases. During a long break between releases, I'll play a lot of older quests. When we start getting flooded with content, like now, I'll focus most of my energy on new stuff. I tend to skip around when playing older quests, although it's fun to do a "cycle campaign" now and then. Since I played all of the old quests with the content released at the time when they came out, I don't really ever limit myself and use my full card pool.

I just bought Heirs of Numenor (already have everything before that). 

The plan is to first play all quests once before buying new ones. 

So far I have revisited old quests, when I found them to be interesting enough. 

I play the older quests all the time. I only ever play theme decks, so the older quests can still present interesting challenges that, even though I've overcome them in the past, I still find it enjoyable to play through them again. I tend to go for a couple of quests in a mini-campaign, though now I think about it, they always tend to come from the same cycle... might try mixing that up a bit more...

It's always been an interesting thing for me that this game is much more like a traditional boardgame in its expansion model, where we essentially get nine new games out of each deluxe/cycle, and I replay stuff like Runebound with its expansions all the time.