Sign in to follow this  
patox

YEA or NAY on Episode 7 ships in X-Wing?

During the Star Wars Celebration FFG panel, did anyone ask whether episode 7 ships will come to the X-Wing game?

Based on other Episode 7 revelations, it doesn't seem like the T-70 or the white TIE will come to X-Wing

It sounds like the Rebellion and Galactic Empire are no more. The war in the stars is Resistance versus First Order. Which means it's a new conflict, a new war, a new era.

Chris Peterson has stated that X-Wing is set in a single era, the Galactic Civil War.

I think the timing would be perfect for 2nd Edition X-wing.  Have 2 timeframes available for play.  That way the old players could keep the stuff they've bought (they could sell a conversion pack like they do for descent).  Then also have the new trilogy stuff for the later First Order/Resistance factions.

Everything would be compatible, but tournaments would probably be timeframe specific

Galactic Civil War going forward.

No idea what they'll do personally. Start over, a separate Episode 7 edition, two new factions, leave X-wing as is and make new games for 7...

We'll see in December.

Quite frankly, I think that due to how similar the T-65 and T-70 would be performance wise?

It'd need a new edition.

First Order/Resistance factions.

Where did you get the info on the names of the factions?

It was mentioned yesterday on the Star Wars Live Feed.

Thank you, I for one totally support those names

If FFG don't have plans to release a new coreset based around the new movies then they are fools.

I personally love the K-Wing because I am sustained by the grief and suffering of my fellow players ENEMIES. So when the fan response is equivalent to " as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror" I am left quite happy with the end result. But right now FFG are mining the dregs of the EU to find new ships, which whilst tickling my obscurist fanboy tastes is not something I would consider a solid marketing strategy to produce a game with mass appeal. New movies with a massive marketing drive behind them to push associated merch, new ship designs are going to be everywhere as part of the toy sales campaign so a matching core set and wave would be the perfect chance for FFG to make a killing and bring even more players to this wonderful game.

All I wait for is to see how it will be implemented. My personal preference would be for some kind of Era play system where we gain 2 new factions of Resistance and First Order but games are played at 150 points. Rebels and Empire could stay in as obsolete/hold out factions and all the new ships could have points costs in the Tie Defender region and have Matching stat lines to represent technological progress. This could chime in quite nicely with FFG having a new look at epic play if they shift the points balance upwards in regular games as well. 

If I was a betting man however I would anticipate FFG trying to integrate the new ships into the existing factions across Wave's 8 & 9 to keep everything within one simple competitive framework, so they can keep on selling X-Wing as whole package with new players entering needing to pick a whole bunch of the old ships just for upgrade cards. 

The Elephant in the room however is Diney and their IP management. Its early days yet but seeing as we are dealing with Resistance and First Order rather than Rebellion and Empire it sounds like they want to establish their own separate IP concepts so would need to have them clearly distinguished a bit like GW re-branding Imperial Guard as Astra Militarum. So there is potentially a whole other layer in play to any decision which we will only hear about after the fact.

Edited by Ion Dave

I think eventually they will make there way into the game.  As for whether they make it in immediately, I find it unlikely.  I think the initial release is more likely to come in the form of new games/titles than additions to existing games because it exposes people to new things they may not have already got into.  If you put out Ep7 stuff for X-wing straight ways then people can just ride the coat tails of an existing game to get their Ep7 content.  People aren't going to throw up their hands and say "I am not buying Wave 9" because it contains no Ep7 ships (well a few might).  

As an example, Decipher put out Young Jedi when Ep1 released and didn't rush in and put Ep1 stuff out for the CCG.  Eventually they released it at a later point.  If it weren't for the delay nobody would have played Young Jedi (let's not bring hindsight into this).  At least this is my vague memory of that time period, a long time ago in a galaxy far far way.   

I am still waiting for a republic and seperatist factions.

(Cackles while strolling out.)

In all seriousness, I definately do think they need to introduce a new coreset to celelbrate the new movies. Though in all honesty? I don't think the X-wings would be sangificantly different. I imagine the only change that they would recieve is either a boost action or a barrel roll action or just simply use both old and new X-wings interchangeably. Same with ties, things have changed to make producing these ships more efficent, but everyone is forgetting that Star Wars is a very stagment galaxy as far as technology goes. Most super weapons/innverations have been from people applying technology that they already had, but never invested in.

Another thought I had that instead of releasing a starters set, they release a starters pack containing a small squad of these fellows. Though it would be more efficent, I doubt that happen.

I'm still waiting to see the Ghost and Gozanti carrier from Rebels. I'd be happy to see new inverse TIEs and T-70s. I think FFG deliberately gave us the version of the Z-95 that they did so it would be different to the T-70 down the pipeline.