Sign in to follow this  
Doc, the Weasel

New teaser

An explanation for Han and Chewy not being in possession of the Falcon is that they have simply outgrown her. If you think about it, Han especially was both leader and victor of the most pivotal battle to date. This would probably have propelled him into a position of high authority. The Falcon is also kind of a bachelor smuggler's ship. If he married and had a child/children with Leia, he would have had to give up that life.

I've read that the person handing Leigha the light saber is Lupita Nyong'o's character, who is reported to be a short, somewhat CGI alien

Edited by Teelk

No, that would be the autocorrect on my phone...

Edit: There, I fixed it. Cut me some slack, I got the actress' name in the spoiler tag right. I googled it, but still...

Edited by Teelk

Killing off popular characters is an old trope. Or at least looking like you did. It was trope of the old cliffhanger serials if only till the next episode. And comics of all types have been doing it for years. Considering how many sources Star Wars draws on I'd be surprised if they didn't use such a trope. They did use it in what is now legends with Boba Fett.

Judging by some Battlefront 3 screenshots they'll be doing it again, canonically.

Yup, according to this article Boba Fett survives.

Edited by mouthymerc

Killing off popular characters is an old trope. Or at least looking like you did. It was trope of the old cliffhanger serials if only till the next episode. And comics of all types have been doing it for years. Considering how many sources Star Wars draws on I'd be surprised if they didn't use such a trope. They did use it in what is now legends with Boba Fett.

Judging by some Battlefront 3 screenshots they'll be doing it again, canonically.

Yup, according to this article Boba Fett survives.

That link raises all kinds of questions for me.

First, if Boba is brought back to life after being eaten, I personally think that is a bad decision.

Second. The image from Battlefront is confusing. I agree that appears to be the Star Destroyer from the new Ep IV trailer crashing in the background (in the same exact direction). The new info says that is "Jakku" and thus must mean Boba survives. But, isn't that a Sand Crawler in the lower left? Of course that vehicle isn't limited to only Tatooine, but it seems a big coincidence to find it again on a desert planet and the next place we see Boba. Perhaps he killed the Sarlaac, stole a sand crawler as part of his getaway, retrofitted Slave I's engines to it, just in time to land on Jakku to fight in a large pivotal battle? Joking of course. I suppose sand crawlers could be old mining vehicles found commonly throughout the galaxy.

Is "Jakku" a load of crap we are being fed and we're actually going to find out it's Tatooine? I hope not.

Edited by Sturn

Yes, that's a Sandcrawler in the bottom left. But those are, in fact, old mining vessels found throughout the galaxy. The ones on Tatooine were abandoned and then repurposed by the Jawas, so there's no reason at all why there can't be others on other desert worlds.

Personally I don't think it's a stretch that Boba Fett survives the sarlacc. Someone with his resources and equipment should be more than able to blow a hole in the thing and kick his way out: after all, it takes a thousand years for someone to be fully digested down there so it's not like he was in a hurry.

And as for the timing, sources so far only states that there was a battle over Jakku "in the aftermath" of the Battle of Endor. "Aftermath" can be stretched quite a bit, so he could have had plenty of time to get out, recover and then hire out to one side or the other before Jakku.

I'm not disputing that image is Jakku.

am disputing that image is canon.

Battlefront is a shooting game that mixes and matches stuff all the time. Darth Vader was on Endor in the trailer -- does that make it canon now? In the first and second games, Vader could be used as a hero for the Empire on Tatooine, and he never set foot on that planet.

Disney's going to have to make Fett's survival a lot more explicit than his inclusion in a historically non-canon video game.

Personally I don't think it's a stretch that Boba Fett survives the sarlacc. Someone with his resources and equipment should be more than able to blow a hole in the thing and kick his way out: after all, it takes a thousand years for someone to be fully digested down there so it's not like he was in a hurry.

I've never assumed Boba Fett was dead. The dude is swallowed. There is no chewing, body parts, or body to confirm he's dead. All he needs to do is fix up his jetpack and blast his way out. I'm sure within 5 minutes of the battle he was free.

I've never assumed Boba Fett was dead. The dude is swallowed. There is no chewing, body parts, or body to confirm he's dead. All he needs to do is fix up his jetpack and blast his way out. I'm sure within 5 minutes of the battle he was free.

Some people I know and work with are hoping that Max Von Sydow is playing an older Boba Fett but I remain skeptical on that...

Some people I know and work with are hoping that Max Von Sydow is playing an older Boba Fett but I remain skeptical on that...

Yeah, that sounds like a bit of a stretch. von Sydow is much older than Boba Fett would be, and I got the impression from the (admittedly unreliable) leaks that he was playing a less prominent character from the OT. But hey, if I'm wrong it would be awesome.

...with six screaming Weequay holding onto his legs. :P

First, if Boba is brought back to life after being eaten, I personally think that is a bad decision.

Second. The image from Battlefront is confusing. I agree that appears to be the Star Destroyer from the new Ep IV trailer crashing in the background (in the same exact direction). The new info says that is "Jakku" and thus must mean Boba survives. But, isn't that a Sand Crawler in the lower left? Of course that vehicle isn't limited to only Tatooine, but it seems a big coincidence to find it again on a desert planet and the next place we see Boba. Perhaps he killed the Sarlaac, stole a sand crawler as part of his getaway, retrofitted Slave I's engines to it, just in time to land on Jakku to fight in a large pivotal battle? Joking of course. I suppose sand crawlers could be old mining vehicles found commonly throughout the galaxy.

Is "Jakku" a load of crap we are being fed and we're actually going to find out it's Tatooine? I hope not.

Battlefront takes place over the OT period at locations from the OT. It *also* includes an extra map set on Jakku that takes place between EPVI and EPVII. There's no suggestion in any of the material that Boba is on Jakku.

Battlefront takes place over the OT period at locations from the OT. It *also* includes an extra map set on Jakku that takes place between EPVI and EPVII. There's no suggestion in any of the material that Boba is on Jakku.

There's a screenshot of Boba on a desert-like planet with an SD crashing in the background in the exact angle we see an SD crashed on a desert-like planet in the Ep 7 trailer.

Good point. It's not as bad of a come back as Darth Maul. But, the intention of Ep. VI was he was dead. There was even an audible belch added to his stupidly comical death (imo). If the makers of Ep. VI wanted it to be more ambiquous then they should have had something like blaster bolts shooting out of the pit in the background as the heroes take off on the skiff. That didn't happen. The creature instead belched. Is it possible to make up a survival story? Of course. But that wasn't the intention of the movie-canon so it bugs me.

Has there been any more details of the possible Bounty Hunter movie? Is that dead or is it still going to be one of the 3? I would love to have such a movie start with the sarlaac pit battle from his point of view and later escape. Followed by the main plot of the movie climaxing with Boba on Jakku during a large, pivotal battle between Ep. VI and VII. Such a story on screen, not just in a video game or EU novel, fixes it for me.

Allegedly George told Dave Filoni that Fett survives, I'd say that trumps a game trailer.

And before you ask, no, I don't have a link. It was on one of his appearances of Rebel Force Radio, and I'm not sitting through them all to find it! Does anyone else remember this?

Allegedly George told Dave Filoni that Fett survives, I'd say that trumps a game trailer.

At this point I don't think it does. Lucas doesn't really have any say over Star Wars anymore. Even if Lucas told Filoni that he wanted Boba Fett to survive, the only that really matters is whether it ends up in a story.

If it appears now in a comic, novel, movie or TV show, that would be definitive but until then it's just speculation, isn't it?

At this point I don't think it does. Lucas doesn't really have any say over Star Wars anymore. Even if Lucas told Filoni that he wanted Boba Fett to survive, the only that really matters is whether it ends up in a story.

If it appears now in a comic, novel, movie or TV show, that would be definitive but until then it's just speculation, isn't it?

While Lucas doesn't have control over anything anymore, Filoni still seems to respect Lucas' vision and ideas. The few interviews I've seen with Filoni have had a few mentions of him discussing some aspects with Lucas at length to come to a decision on how they might play out in the stories he is telling.

But I am with you, until I actually see it happen or see some kind of official statement I will not take it is canon.

If we see Fett in one of these anthology flicks I have a feeling it will borrow from Rogue One and just place it at a time before Ep IV to just sidestep the whole issue.

A Star Wars underworld idea for one of those anthology movies would be fun, use Fett and Jabba as antagonists and cast some new protagonist(s).

At this point, if he survives or stays dead, I don't see it as a significant game changer unless they start doing a Fett comic or something. Until then, I could care less either way.

I'm not convinced. The hand that's receiving the lightsaber looks much younger than the hand that's giving it. But on my eleventh viewing in a twenty-four hour period, it does seem more ambiguous. I'll stand to my guns, though, in the event that I'm right and I score a billion units of nerd cred.

Did anyone else notice that in one of the images posted by Desslok, Finn has a lightsaber suspiciously similar to Anakin's old saber?

I thought it was pretty straightforward that Finn was the favorite to become Luke's student, but it could also just as obviously have been Rey. It could be Rey now, since the concept art might have been done for an earlier version of the script.

I am leaning to Rey or potentially both of them. Rey is generally rumored to be a Han-Leia child and has a very Padme-like appearance. 

For the lightsaber hand-off, I do think it's a younger hand giving to an older, I am thinking someone giving it to Leia but could be way off there.

I think it is a new alien species who is selling the light sabre to her. Luke's lightsaber was obviously recovered by some random maintenance person/droid and it has passed a few hands for big space bucks..

The one thing I find rather interesting after watching some reactions posted online to the new teaser is that as much as Luke speaking excites people, it is Han and Chewie at the end that just send people over the top.

Related to Boba Fett,

What I have read, and obviously all of it is rumor, is that there is going to be an anthology movie about Boba Fett. Not, however, Jango Fett's clone son. Instead, it's going to be a friend or acquaintance or someone that Boba Fett knows is going to take up the mantle of Boba Fett after he is killed. And, I don't mean killed in RotJ, before RotJ.  What I read was that Disney isn't happy with the way Lucas handled Boba's origin story and so were going to reinvent him as an anti-hero.  I think they weren't happy because he's such an iconic character that they would like to develop, but it's difficult to cast someone who is supposed to be a clone of someone else who, for age reasons, can't play a younger clone of himself again.  And, I think we can safely assume the sarlaac pit isn't going to be his demise. It wasn't in EU/Legends and it'll change in canon too, I'm guessing.