Sign in to follow this  
Crabbok

New Star Destroyer in EP 7 Trailer

Well, apparently the remnants of the Empire are now called 'The First Order" and the Rebels are now officially called "The Resistance". So, we might be seeing two whole new factions instead of new ships for the existing ones.

Well, apparently the remnants of the Empire are now called 'The First Order" and the Rebels are now officially called "The Resistance". So, we might be seeing two whole new factions instead of new ships for the existing ones.

Source?

Is it a sign of the nature of the two games that whilst the Armada forum has one neat little thread discussing the the new trailer, the X-wing forums have about a dozen topics going "ZOMG!!!!! NEW TRAILORZ GAHHHH SPLOOSH I don't like it kill Jar Jar Han is old"

Its just an observation, but amusing

Is it a sign of the nature of the two games that whilst the Armada forum has one neat little thread discussing the the new trailer, the X-wing forums have about a dozen topics going "ZOMG!!!!! NEW TRAILORZ GAHHHH SPLOOSH I don't like it kill Jar Jar Han is old"

It's because we're secretly plotting how to beat all the new ships and are devising ways to destroy them. 

And the reason I follow only the Armada forum on this one...

FFG are a business, a business that's paid Disney bucks for the rights to make Ep 7 based miniature games. Ep 7 Ships will be happening, and they will be happening to take advantage off the hype of the movie release alongside or soon after.

The old EU ships will continue to be brought out in the periods between new movie releases I expect.

I think 7,8,9 are going to be better than 1,2,3, but not as good as 4,5,6. For me any movie about star wars is awesome, I may not like 100% of the films but there will be parts I love and hate, but most movies I watch are like that (Even 4,5,6)

The reason for that is that 4,5,6 we watched when we were kids ... and we watched them with rose color glasses, we watched them with the love and wonder ... we grew up dreaming about being Jedi and flying in the stars.  Honestly if those movies were made today 5 would probably be well received but 4,6 would be torn apart.

Ask kids and alot of teenages who grew up with all the movies and they like 1,2,3 ... so I think at this point NOTHING is going to surpass that which we grew up with.

I agree with you TrentL, with one exception: Name one living being that actually liked Jar Jar. Imagine episodes 1,2,3 without him (and his stupid fellow water dwellers..) and you would have pretty decent, well above average movies. Would not even change much of the story.. 

I agree with you TrentL, with one exception: Name one living being that actually liked Jar Jar. Imagine episodes 1,2,3 without him (and his stupid fellow water dwellers..) and you would have pretty decent, well above average movies. Would not even change much of the story.. 

No you would not. Jar Jar was bad, but those movies sucked a big one even without him. He was barely in Episodes 2 or 3 and they sucked hard anyway.

While I certainly think the OT is the best Star Wars I've never hated the prequels like so many people seem too. I especially enjoyed episode III and think it was at least getting close to the quality of the OT. That being said I have high hopes that 7-9 will at least equal the overall quality of the OT. I guess we will know in about 7 months.

To further improve them, you could recast Anakin (both child and teen) with people who could act, and hire a script re-writer to smooth out some of George's cringe-inducing dialog.

I dont think we will see Ep 7 ships in a few years. Dropping such things right away will ruin any older ships they want to use. 

No way.  

First off, we don't KNOW that the newer ships are more powerful.  It is entirely possible that the new empire (First Order) has had to scale down it's costs, and has cheaper, less blasty-blasty ships.  Since they do not have the resources of the old Empire, it is very possible that Wave 7 ships could be weaker in some respects than the OT ships.   the OT represents the Empire at the HEIGHT of its power. 

On the other hand however, if the New Trilogy ships are stronger, then they can still easily fit, because all FFG has to do is make them cost more. An EP 7 Star Destroyer might cost 130 points.... which still keeps Victorys entirely valid.  For example.

There is more Hill to that beast of a Star Destroyer, and it definitely has some sort of armoured prow. Still has a lower Hanger bay too.

I'd say just for the mass of this thing it would have more hull points than and Imperial Class maybe a similar armament, maybe less but more equally spread?

It must have some sort of ram based rule, deals damage cards face up...

I think we can be fairly certain she will be turning up in Armada at some point... I can't wait. 

No you would not. Jar Jar was bad, but those movies sucked a big one even without him. He was barely in Episodes 2 or 3 and they sucked hard anyway.

Biggest mistake in the PT that good old tripple chin made was not Jar Jar. It was killing off Darth Maul in TPM.

Count Chocola and the Asthma Droid where horrible replacements as the "visible" bad guys. Darth Maul was freaking awesome. He should have been there at Revenge of the Sith and have Anakin kill him to further move next to Palpatine's side.

So back to topic...

I'd put money on this Episode VII Star Destroyer being the bigger than ISD ship everyone seems to want. Looks like it won't take up half a table either.

Edited by Jo Jo

While I certainly think the OT is the best Star Wars I've never hated the prequels like so many people seem too. I especially enjoyed episode III and think it was at least getting close to the quality of the OT. That being said I have high hopes that 7-9 will at least equal the overall quality of the OT. I guess we will know in about 7 months.

I'm with you - I enjoyed the prequels. I've actually crawled out on a limb once (and was promptly snapped at) and said I wouldn't be surprised if I end up personally ranking episode 3 above some of the 7-9 films. There is so much prequel vitriol, and what is most surprising to me is that some of these people who want to take away the "fan cards" of anyone who doesn't obliterate the prequels have so much hope and expectation built up in 7 and beyond. Sometimes it feels almost as if they are setting themselves up to justify any potential disappointment to give the sequels the same prequel treatment. The negativity just seems to feed upon itself, and there were several years that I was buying into it myself. What kind of woke me up, so to speak, was a critical conversation about the prequels when I realized that I hadn't watched any of them in about five years. I felt like I lost touch with my own opinion of them, and committed a Sunday to watching them all. I had a lot fun in the process, and aside from enjoying them, I didn't even realize that I missed them.

An individual's fandom is what they make it, and if you enjoy Star Wars, you are a sister or brother to me in that alone - I don't care what parts of this ever expanding universe that you prefer. I tend to shy away from the classic trilogy vs. prequel trilogy thing, as no one is being asked to choose. I grew up with the classics and I remember the moment when my fandom exploded at 11: when I saw the special editions on the big screen with my dad. The classic trilogy will always be on a pedestal in my heart as it is for so many of us, but it doesn't have to be divisive. For instance, I have a friend who is only a fan of the classic trilogy. I got him the first X-wing novel once, and I don't think it stuck. That happens, and that's cool, it just frames our interactions as Star Wars fans.

Are the prequels the story of Darth Vader that I would have told? Probably not, but it is not my story to tell. And maybe those of us that feel that way do so specificially because we grew up with the classics and because we consumed EU material and painted our own picture of Vaders' fall and ensuing destruction of the Jedi. Similarly, a lot of people may be hard on the sequel trilogy because of all of the legends material that until now has been the only continuation of the story for decades. There is such a significant period of time between the three trilogies that head canon and actual canon had time to be both established and then brushed aside.

I didn't mean to bust out a prequel wall of text - it just seems like these conversations about what Star Wars means to people and how it relates to the trilogies and the future are happening more and more often as we venture closer to episode 7. So between nostalgia, personal preferences and what people thought of the legends material, discussions about Star Wars have never been more interesting to me. It is a great time to be a fan.

Edited by Dusksong

Apparently lots of young kids did like Jar-Jar, but then they were not the audience of the original Star Wars trilogy.

When I rewatched the prequels I did think they were terrible. I was cringing at much of the dialogue, and wincing at much of the rest. However, though I think the original trilogy were better, it wasn't like they were masterpieces of cinema. The dialogue in Star Wars as a whole, prequel and original, was on occasion just as wooden, and frankly some of the actors were not exactly good. In fact, much of the surprise in the prequels is having genuinely good actors giving stilted or insipid performances (which does suggest the problem was script and direction, rather than the actors). The original trilogy had barely any known actors in it. Harrison Ford had been in films, but he was barely a big figure. Only Peter Cushing and Alec Guinness could really have been said to have had much of a profile before Star Wars, and even then I don't actually know how much so in the States. However, the main difference was that the initial film concentrated on being what it was, a pulpy adventure romp. In that context it was very good, especially in the lack of anything similar at that point. The prequels tried to have more character pieces and complicated plotting (which truthfully a story about the fall of a hero probably requires), which didn't really play to Star Wars' (or George Lucas's) strengths.

Personally I am unsure what to make of the new films. The trialers have been exciting, but very little has been revealed (understandably), and I have been disappointed by Abrams take on Star Trek. I am hoping he does a better interpretation of Star Wars (he always said he was more a Star Wars man than a Star Trek man), but I am still worried he will balls it up. My current fear is that the bad guy might be a reincarnated/clone or something of Darth Vader. Now, I will admit I don't have much to go on for that (purely them having the blackened skull and helmet of Darth vader in that trailer), but it is the kind of nonsense Abrams pulls, so I am currently waiting to give judgement. Not keen on the overly sleek stromtroopers though. I didn't think Abrams needed another thing in his films that looked like it was bought in an Apple shop...

As to Darth Maul being good: He wasn't. He wasn't anything aside from a snarling lightsaber wielder. He was the "only good thing" in that film because he didn't appear long enough to actually be developed. I suspect if he was, he would have been shite. There wasn't any sense of real menace to him... or even competence. Of the bad guys of the trilogy Christopher Lee's was the best, as he at least seemed like someone you could entrust with a job.

Edited by borithan

Anyone else notice that the crashed x-wing in the foreground around the 25 second mark seems to be the traditional x-wings we are accustomed to?

the-force-awakens-crashed-x-wing.jpg

Notice the ^ engine assembly.

Watch the trailer in fullscreen and look closely at the wing configuration.

Edited by Deathseed

Yeah I did notice that.   Basically confirms that JJ was erasing our classic X-Wings.   Confirms the new ones are an upgrade rather than a retcon.

That and they name the model of the new x-wing:

CCvLM8oUEAA2fjp.jpg

T-70, not our beloved old T-65.

Seems the rebels resistance have been updating their weapons of terror ships.

I think everything I didn't like about the Star Trek movies done by JJ (too much focus on action, overly-simplistic story) would make him a solid choice to direct the new Star Wars films.

I also think movie opinions are a subjective thing, and it's difficult to put opinions into words sometimes, so I don't want anyone to feel like they have to defend their opinion of any of the Star Wars movies, but...

The prequels were bad. Like, embarrassingly, terribly bad.