Sign in to follow this  
xanderf

New TIE Fighters!

The extended 'Force Awakens' trailer has shown off the new TIE fighters in more detail...

Same design as what we've seen so far, but definitely painted VERY dark grey or black, and the solar panels now look almost translucent...or at least, super reflective.

Take a look at 1:15 in the trailer...

When the helmet was first shown, I was very hesitant to adopt a new design. So far, I'm warming up to it.

What really got me was how great it looked on the TIE Pilot

And are bloodstripes entering canon, now, for elite TIE Pilots?

Or is this some kind of new Sith-Empire thing?

When the helmet was first shown, I was very hesitant to adopt a new design. So far, I'm warming up to it.

I thought that was what I saw! I wasn't sure if it was a stripe or just weird reflectionyness from the cockpit. WHO KNOWS?!

TIE fighter hover from Rebels is very much a canon thing now.

I have no problem with that.

All i see are changes for the sake of changes, i'm even more worried now than before.

It's 30 years on, and they're making a major point of that. I'm fairly sure that whole ISD junkyard exists entirely for the purpose of contrast.

Edited by TIE Pilot

All i see are changes for the sake of changes, i'm even more worried now than before.

It has been 30 years since the Battle of Endor - that things look as similar as they do worried me a bit.

But I think the effect of the changes (especially of those are translucent tiles) work, seeing it here - small evolutions of previous designs.  (Although the Star Destroyer scene at ~1:19 or so makes me wonder - that's a VERY different shuttle and some kind of bulkier fighter flying into a quite-different Star Destroyer.  Maybe the kinda-like-TIE Fighter craft are not the standard fighters of that period, but something from the wreck of the Star Destroyer on the planet??)

It's 30 years on, and they're making a major point of that. I'm fairly sure that whole ISD junkyard exists entirely for the purpose of contrast.

Even more important than the 'hovering' thing...

Take a look at that scene, again.  You can't see the fighter's cockpit - it's pointing the opposite direction it's shooting in.  The shots are coming from UNDER the bubble.

TIE Fighters with a Firespray-style auxiliary arc?!

I think the bulky fighter is a troop transport, the one from the first one (the insides of it).

What do you guys make of the shooting scene in the hangar? Was the TIE shooting backwards from a small turret at the bottom, or was that the front?

Take a look at that scene, again.  You can't see the fighter's cockpit - it's pointing the opposite direction it's shooting in.  The shots are coming from UNDER the bubble.

I thought I noticed something like that! Almost like there's a turret or something underneath the pilot sphere. That would almost make sense, actually, from a modularity point of view.

I'd need to see it in a higher resolution that looked like the top hatch to me when i watched it.

2 attack turret swarms though...

I'd need to see it in a higher resolution that looked like the top hatch to me when i watched it.

2 attack turret swarms though...

LOOKED like a turret, but it was not hanging down nearly far enough to clear the solar panels.

So it'd definitely be just a front/back thing like the Firespray, if included in the game.

(And let's be real, OF COURSE this thing is going to be in the game - FFG would be insane not to, given they already announced they've extended their license to include Episode VII)

The elite pilot in SWR has them.

I thought I noticed something like that! Almost like there's a turret or something underneath the pilot sphere. That would almost make sense, actually, from a modularity point of view.

Looks like just reflection given how shiny the black and white TIEs are: looks to me like its facing its targets.

Nope, backwards TIE with turret on the bottom. That, or this isn't a normal TIE fighter and it's facing us front on.

See times moved on so surely the tie interceptor should be the standard fighter now not the LN, but no he's instead messed with a classic design just because he can.

Yes, the TIE fighter's the ship that got the update because it's more iconic than the interceptor, FAR more iconic, but again, 30 years. This ship is much more advanced than the TIE interceptor.

Edited by TIE Pilot