Sign in to follow this  
FTS Gecko

The WH40K Forums Are Revolting

Unfortunately some of my armies, given the new force org changes, have become Unbound armies. The removal of "take X and make Y troops" is mystifying to me. I can't understand how that somehow reduces their profit and needed to be removed from codices. I've spent many, many, many hours converting models that are now illegal, neutered, or useless.

Yeah, the prices with GW are high, but you get what you pay for. 

If that were true people would not site their number one problem as prices being way too high.

£500 for a 2k army is insane, i own 3 factions of x-wing, multiples of most ships and i'm not even close to half that.

What type of mission was your friend playing with his Harlequins?  How was his list built?  Did he try to win by objectives or go for the kill?

If you are just playing to straight up kill each other, then yeah, the knights are going to win.  If you are playing a mission where controlling objectives is key, the Harlequins will win because they have more units that are more mobile.  If you are playing a maelstrom mission, the Harlequins will win because they have more units that are more mobile.  Having a shadow seer in ever unit of troops can effectively negate the advantage the Imperial Knights have over the Harlequins by taking away their range thanks to Veil of Tears.  Also take into consideration that Veil of Tears will stop an Imperial Knight from shooting at multiple units if it fails to be in range of the unit.  If he wants to kill the Knights, how many Haywire cannons does he have, is he trying to get units into as many armour arcs of a single knight as possible or is he pouring all of his shots into the Ion Shield?  Does he have a unit that has nothing but Harlequin Caresses that will drop an Imperial Knight in a single round of combat?

Harlequins really gonna need veil of tears. Having invulnerable saves is good but a knight with an avenger gatling canon will throw out 12 STR 6 Ap3 shots. add on a storm spear missile pod for another 3 STR 8 shots. And The laughing god help you if you're up against a Knight Crusader!

Edited by Robin Graves

Too much Scottish blood in my ancestry to burn what I can sell even at a discount, but i respect his choice.

He probably tought nobody would want to buy warhammer fantasy figs anymore.

He's probably wrong but i fear he may be right...

He probably tought nobody would want to buy warhammer fantasy figs anymore.

He's probably wrong but i fear he may be right...

Well, GW has always been a collector's hobby.  It's preyed on the gotta-get'em-all menatlity of their hardcore fans.

If this is it for Fantasy (as it looks like), then in a couple of years time the old Warhammer rulebooks and Army Books will be selling for a premium on eBay (just look at Realm of Chaos/Rogue Trader etc for comparison).

GW oop models already sell for a premium (I sold 20 old metal Juan Diaz Daemonettes and Seekers for £450, which paid for a hell of a lot of X-Wing stuff).  Depending on the reaction to AoS and demand for old-school Warhammer, prices could skyrocket.

I have a mint, unopened Space Hulk box sat in my cupboard, just on the off chance.

I have a mint, unopened Space Hulk box sat in my cupboard, just on the off chance.

What edition?

Hopefully not the latest because you can find that in shops still, £15 extra for five missions f€¥© GW's money grabbing ways.

I have the 2009 version safely in a cupboard.

What edition?

Hopefully not the latest because you can find that in shops still, £15 extra for five missions f€¥© GW's money grabbing ways.

Yeah, it's the 2013 version.

Amusingly, I bought the 2009 version, sold it in 2012 for three times what I bought it for on ebay, then bought the 2013 version when it came out with the proceeds.

What edition?

Yeah, it's the 2013 version.

Amusingly, I bought the 2009 version, sold it in 2012 for three times what I bought it for on ebay, then bought the 2013 version when it came out with the proceeds.

Oooh that was a mistake...:)

The 2013 has what? two new pieces of cardboard and some new missions?

Oooh that was a mistake... :)

The 2013 has what? two new pieces of cardboard and some new missions?

Something like that.  But overall I'm over £100 up on the purchase* and have the updated copy of Space Hulk as well, so I'm not exactly complaining.

End of the day, if GW goes **** up then more likely than not Space Hulk will be one of their most sought after boxed sets.

*or would be if I hadn't spent the lot on X-Wing.

I used to have an old copy of advanced space crusade. Traded it away for a ton of magic in my more hardcore Magic the gathering days. I've kept all my games GW did together with MB and of course still got all my old white dwarfs/ armybooks/codexes/ And those include both realm of chaos books. But I'll never get rid of those.

I used to have an old copy of advanced space crusade. Traded it away for a ton of magic in my more hardcore Magic the gathering days. I've kept all my games GW did together with MB and of course still got all my old white dwarfs/ armybooks/codexes/ And those include both realm of chaos books. But I'll never get rid of those.

*sigh* ah, the Realm of Chaos books.. probably some of the finest material GW has ever come up with.

If they wanted to do a Warhammer "skirmish" game to entice in new blood,they didn't need to look any further than the Chaos Warbands rules in Slaves to Darkness.  I've suggested earlier in the threads that AoS would probably work quite well in a warbands campaign - but of course, most of the rules for said campaign would need to be devised by the players themselves.

What a waste...