Sign in to follow this  
JMichael

Hyperspace vs Warp Speed

A fun discussion, but to put it into perspective.

Traveling across the Milky Way, roughly 100,000 light years would take:

The Enterprise-D (Next Generation) and ships from that time (DS9, Voyager, etc) at Warp 9.6 (1,909 time the speed of light) would take roughly 33 years.

While, according to StarWars.wikia anyway, ships traveling through HyperSpace could cross that distance in a few hours to a few days depending on the actual path.

Imagine having Fleets on standby at various points of interest throughout the galaxy. It is easy to see how entire Fleets can arrive to the battle within minutes!

Star Wars: Rebellion begs to differ. It would take several days just to travel to planets within the same system. Emipre at War holds more true to the above travel times, but that game was more about the RTS than long term strategy.

I also appticiate how Star Trek trys to keep their science stuff as accurate (term used loosely) as possible by having scientific consultants on staff.

<shouts>Star Trek is the superior fiction!!</shouts>

*runs*

Star Wars: Rebellion begs to differ. It would take several days just to travel to planets within the same system. Emipre at War holds more true to the above travel times, but that game was more about the RTS than long term strategy.

I also appticiate how Star Trek trys to keep their science stuff as accurate (term used loosely) as possible by having scientific consultants on staff.

*runs*

Rebels, Imperials, does it matter? Let's toss this guy out of an airlock and see if we can hear him scream in space. ;)

I think the issue is largely that Trek has had far longer and far more episodes to sort out how their tech works. Tech in Trek is like magic in fantasy literature. If you don't have rules and stick to those rules it is just pulling rabbits out of hats.

Star Wars is always far less concerened (on screen anyway) with the tech partly because they don't have the time and partly because it isn't that important for the stories they're telling. Trek is often much more concerned with that sort of thing.

The other thing is that warp and hyperspace and the FTL in BSG are very different concepts.

And just like all ships in Star Trek are not capable of warp 9, I would assume that in the Star Wars universe different ships have different size hyper-drives.

Try limping back to base with a class 13 back-up Hyperdrive.

You'll know how true that statement is!

Voyager could go to warp 9.98 under maximum power. Here is a chart for speed reference.

4487455b.jpg

Sorry but when I read what Warp 10 is like I thought of The Heart of Gold. (Which if you were to imput the provability of all the intertwind relationships of Star Wars into it it would drive the ship for ten years.)

Voyager could go to warp 9.98 under maximum power. Here is a chart for speed reference.4487455b.jpg

Sorry but when I read what Warp 10 is like I thought of The Heart of Gold. (Which if you were to imput the provability of all the intertwind relationships of Star Wars into it it would drive the ship for ten years.)

What's funny is that is pretty acurate according to the "science".

*runs*

Rebels, Imperials, does it matter? Let's toss this guy out of an airlock and see if we can hear him scream in space. ;)

**** Beatty, that's bloodthirsty.

fcfbc336b5f580f66e39e6cbcb70bdc6f56c349c

A powerful Sith you will become!

I think in Star Wars the different ships have different classes of hyperdrives-the smaller the faster.

The Falcon has like a 0.5-class and an ISD has a class-2. That's how Han was able to outrun them,

Size matters not.

The Falcon's .5 is a tricked out, finicky drive. The standard for the galaxy is 2, or even 3, with Military Grade being 1 or 2 for bigger ships. Most space transports have slower drives, and the backup drives are even ridiculously lower (as I mentionned above thread, try using a class 13)

The Virago and the Outrider, I believe have .75 hyperdrive; still custom jobs, but less finicky than the Falcon's, though slower, by a thin margin.

I think in Star Wars the different ships have different classes of hyperdrives-the smaller the faster.

The Falcon has like a 0.5-class and an ISD has a class-2. That's how Han was able to outrun them,

Size matters not.

The Falcon's .5 is a tricked out, finicky drive. The standard for the galaxy is 2, or even 3, with Military Grade being 1 or 2 for bigger ships. Most space transports have slower drives, and the backup drives are even ridiculously lower (as I mentionned above thread, try using a class 13)

The Virago and the Outrider, I believe have .75 hyperdrive; still custom jobs, but less finicky than the Falcon's, though slower, by a thin margin.

Yeah, when I said "the smaller the faster" I was referring to the smaller hyperdrive class the better. I agree about the rest.

Star Wars - Science Fantasy

Star Trek - Science Fiction

Star Wars - Mythology
Star Trek - Morality Play

Star Wars - The Odyssey and The Iliad
Star Trek - The Tortoise and The Hare

Star Wars - Needs a giant screen and 2 plus hours
Star Trek - Works best in 1 hour chunks while sitting on a couch

Both have a place within the greater society and deserve proper attention being given to them but they fill different space and should not be compared as if they were the same thing.

I would like to say that there are differing sources and opinions about how long it takes to cross the SW galaxy. For myself, I stick with the old-school West End Games understanding that it would take the better part of a month.

That's also what I based my nav computer on, which calculates that it takes nearly 18 days to get from one end of the Hydian Way to the other at a hyperdrive multiplier of x1.

But I know that other people like to understand the SW galaxy differently. More strength to you.

Well much like the rumors of a Star Wars and Star Trek cross over movie Trekkies need to be stopped. Luckily they don't really breed. :P

Are you kidding? Kirk has populated whole planets of green-skinned love children

Its neat how the different series each have a unique take.

ST has warp speed, which seems much like the idea behind scram jets.

SW has hyperspace, which seems to be connected to dimensions and topology in mathematics.

40k has the immaterium, which is basically the end of Event Horizon and is a psychic swimming pool filled with monsters.

Hitchhikers has an improbability drive, which seems to be very close to the ideas of quantum superposition and collapsing wave functions.

Enders Game addresses the information problem, how to send a message over extreme distances.

Out of the different ones, I like the more mathematical ones the best.

Both go at the same speed: The speed of plot. Just like every other space vehicle in every other science fiction story. Star Trek has always tried to stay close to the veneer of scientific plausibility, but Star Wars was all about the theatrics. And I think that's why Star Wars is more fun between the two of them.

I think hyperspace travel is faster but it's best to stay on known routes.  It looks like they don't have a good method of detecting things outside of hyperspace.  That's why Han was worried about dropping out of hyperspace in the heart of a star.  You have to know exactly where you're going and where you'll end up. Warp travel is slower but you can observe and communicate outside of it.  If you have a known route mapped across the galaxy hyperspace is probably the way to go but if you are exploring a new route warp travel may end up being faster since survival is the ultimate victory.