Sign in to follow this  
Gosric

Size of a Praetor class Battlecruiser

So  had a request for a Praetor some time ago in a scale thats seemed close to the one they are now using for Armada nd ewas debating with cleaning it up and making it a bit bigger to fit. The Praetor is 4000mtrs long according to sources. My question (since they are not using an exact scale) is how long should i remake it if i choose todo so. Right now it is 4.75 inches but that is barely bigger than an ISD

The scale of the Victory is 1/6417.8. It looks like the bigger ships are around that scale as well. Im really thinking the sliding scale is intended more to make small ships bigger than the big ships smaller. A Praetor in scale with a Victory would be 24.5 inches.

Well, a 24 inch ship sounds wee bit ridiculous when I try to imagine it on a 3x6 table, but 16" through relative scale could work much better in my opinion. :) That'd still make it much bigger than Imperial, clearly setting it apart from lesser ships and making it look goddamn impressive while still not covering 1/4 of the table all by itself. And then, trying to keep it in line too a ship like Assertor-class Star Dreadnought could measure 24-30" and, well, be relatively playable, AND look awesome on the shelf towering even over the Praetor!

Anything in the "Super" Star Destroyer classes would be way too big for Armada- the Praetor is one of the smallest classes if I remember right. The Executor-class, like Vader's flagship, were around 19 km long.

Messing with the scale would have to be a must, maybe having SSDs around 11-12 inches long would work. Still big, but not unplayable. Hull arcs might be killer though- massive broadside arcs.

Edited by Ikka

Anything in the "Super" Star Destroyer classes would be way too big for Armada- the Praetor is one of the smallest classes if I remember right. The Executor-class, like Vader's flagship, were around 19 km long.

Messing with the scale would have to be a must, maybe having SSDs around 11-12 inches long would work. Still big, but not unplayable. Hull arcs might be killer though- massive broadside arcs.

Couldn't you just do "fire corridors" instead of arcs. In the case of a SSD 12'' long  you could have 6 2'' parallel lines representing the broadside arcs with 4-5 dice per. It could be a way of representing the massive firepower of the ship but also the unwieldy nature of bringing every single gun to bear on anything but the largest of targets.

Good point- that would certainly give a SSD some unique style. I have a feeling that the ISD will be the biggest official ship we will see for awhile, but would love to see some fan-made SSDs.

The sliding scale means that the bigger ship the is, the more it gets scaled down.

Here is a plot of the currently known ship scales, the ISD estimate (using ~8 inches/~200mm), and a projection for how long the mini of a 4000m ship should be according to this scheme - about 240mm or 9.5 inches.

If you'd like to mess around with the graph, you can edit the data points at top, where it looks like this:

data set of {x,y} values: {{150,58},{300,93},{900,140},{1600,200},{4000,240}}

Each pair of numbers is the length in meters of the ship (from Wookiepedia), and the actual length of the miniature in millimeters. For the CR-90, Neb-B, and VSD, I measured my miniatures. The last two entries are the projections for the ISD {1600,200} and Praetor {4000,240}.

The more I read here the more I expected this thread to get Tarkined, but it didn't. :D (Ok it is a SSD thread so it is a Tarkin thread to begin with but the discussion is about another class of SSD.)

I am all for a Praetor SD and similar counterpart of the Rebels. (a few fit that size.) It is hard to imagine how its movement and speed will work as of right now but we have time before anything like this comes. Of course it could just have a speed of 1 and just play more of a support piece with tractor beams and fun command abilities.

Im actually not a fan of overly large ships strangely enough. I would have preferred it if the ISD had been the size of a WW2 Battleship but oh well.  The SSD always seemed a bit much to me. ans since there were a lot of them i aways thought they could have put a spinal mount gun down the length of each and destroyed planets without having to build 2 and a half Death stars.

That looks like a Bellator class battlecruiser

Here is a diagram with Praetor in scale with other ships courtesy of jonnyboy0121 from super star destroyer discussion.

All_SSD_v2.png

For its size, it it may be too big for Armada even if it were scaled down.

Having just experienced a tragedy there isnt anything currently on my list but when i get back to it all, hopefully soon, i can see about a vindicator. though my first priority is to redetail and if need be resize my nebulon variants like the Ion Tempest frigate and Quazon D carrier

Sorry to hear about your tragedy, best wishes!

Your resized Nebulons sound like quite a lot of fun. I don't know if there's any interest from anyone but me, but I would someday like to have scaled down CR-90s that look more "right" next to the VSD - so maybe half size, and I'd put two to a base...