Sign in to follow this  
SuperKalelJorson7

New to the Warhammer Universe- any novels to recommend?

• Mathias Thulman Omnibus (Witch Hunter)
  • The Cold Hand Of Betrayal / Invasion (2 books including short stories)
  • The Adventures of Florin & Lorenzo (Lustria, Ogre Kingdoms, Bretonia)
  • Time of Legend - Series (Sigmar, Malekith, Nagash)
  • A Murder in Marienburg / A Massacre in Marienburg
  • Angelika Fleischer Series (Honour of the Grave / Sacred Flesh / Liar's Peak
  • Malus Darkblade

and many many more ...

Anything in the Genevieve line is good, including Silver Knives and Drachenfels as previously mentioned. The Florence and Lorenzo books are also fun in a very wicked way, and do a good job of exploring areas of the Warhammer World outside of the Old World. The Malus Darkblade comics I also highly recommend

Cynical Cat said:

Malus Darkblade if you don't mind a protagonist who is a complete bastard

...and who has a pretty cliché, goofy name. partido_risa.gif

I mean, seriously: did he give that name to himself to sound ominous and cool?

"I need to strike fear into the hearts of men when they hear my name. Darth Mortis... No... Sinistrar Bloodblade... Naw... Morbius BlackenstoneRavenBlade... too long...."

I hope some other character does a double take in the story and goes: "What? MALUS? Seriously? What a ******. Is he in a goth black metal band??"

Malus Darkblade entered the room, striking a cool pose that revealed a troubled past, a heart of iron, yet just enough of a hint of goodness so that he can attract the ladies. Oh and his black cape flows in a non existent wind, like all the time. You know, like in Spawn, or Batman. Like that. He scowls all the time, gritting his teeth like in a Rob Liefeld comic.

HA HA AH HA HA AH AHAH AHA HAH A

Necrozius said:

Cynical Cat said:

Malus Darkblade if you don't mind a protagonist who is a complete bastard

...and who has a pretty cliché, goofy name. partido_risa.gif

He's a Dark Elf. By and large, they all have names like that. At least, when they're not good-hearted Drow attempting to throw off the oppression of their evil society.

"Malus Darkblade entered the room, striking a cool pose that revealed a troubled past, a heart of iron, yet just enough of a hint of goodness so that he can attract the ladies. Oh and his black cape flows in a non existent wind, like all the time. You know, like in Spawn, or Batman. Like that. He scowls all the time, gritting his teeth like in a Rob Liefeld comic."

Probably (well, not probably, they're actually decent novels for an insight into Dark Elf culture), but without the 'hint of goodness' (the man is a ruthless bastard whose hobbies include flaying people alive and breeding giant man-eating lizards as cavalry mounts). Not a troubled antihero by any stretch of the imagination...

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Probably (well, not probably, they're actually decent novels for an insight into Dark Elf culture), but without the 'hint of goodness' (the man is a ruthless bastard whose hobbies include flaying people alive and breeding giant man-eating lizards as cavalry mounts). Not a troubled antihero by any stretch of the imagination...

I'll bet that their culture is hardly any different than the Drow in Forgotten Realms, or Elric of Melniboné's race of evil elves.

They're all so evil that they all wear black leather with spikes, and they thrive on the slave trade. Torture is an art form and casual pastime, and all the women regularly bathe in blood to maintain their hot dominatrix look. ...and they all have names like Grimdark Scytheskull and Voluptia Bloodfetish. gran_risa.gif

Necrozius said:

I'll bet that their culture is hardly any different than the Drow in Forgotten Realms, or Elric of Melniboné's race of evil elves.

They're all so evil that they all wear black leather with spikes, and they thrive on the slave trade. Torture is an art form and casual pastime, and all the women regularly bathe in blood to maintain their hot dominatrix look. ...and they all have names like Grimdark Scytheskull and Voluptia Bloodfetish. gran_risa.gif

Pretty much, but clichés exist because they're frequently used, not in spite of that fact. Though those kinds of names tend to end up on the less imaginative Chaos Warriors instead.

Nobody ever claimed the Warhammer World was original... doesn't mean it's not any good, though. A cliché well-executed is still worth the attention, IMO.

Start with Tales of the Old World, a brilliant set of short stories, and then go on to the Vampire Wars Omnibus, probably the best Warhammer book written. The Genevieve omnibus is also good, especially for settings within Altdorf.

Malus Darkblade saga is great. I loved that character. He is twisted and evil all the way. He starts as a jerk and ends as a jerk. But god is he a cunning deceitful and delightful sadistic character! It's my favourite WH:F novel series by far.

Necrozius said: ...and who has a pretty cliché, goofy name. partido_risa.gif

"I need to strike fear into the hearts of men when they hear my name. Darth Mortis... No... Sinistrar Bloodblade... Naw... Morbius BlackenstoneRavenBlade... too long...."

I hope some other character does a double take in the story and goes: "What? MALUS? Seriously? What a ******. Is he in a goth black metal band??"

Malus Darkblade entered the room, striking a cool pose that revealed a troubled past, a heart of iron, yet just enough of a hint of goodness so that he can attract the ladies. Oh and his black cape flows in a non existent wind, like all the time. You know, like in Spawn, or Batman. Like that. He scowls all the time, gritting his teeth like in a Rob Liefeld comic.

The books are worth a read, not LOTR level certainly but decent for pulp fantasy. The characters grow on you and (with the exception of the protagonist) their names are believable, thank goodness. 

It's not as corny once you realize that 'Darkblade' is the dark elf version of 'Doe'. IIRC darkblade is a term used to describe an ill-finished, defective weapon. Bastard dark elven children, especially those born of the lineage obsessed nobility use that as their last name. Some illegitimate fellow from Ghrond could be named 'Yrhen Darkblade' yet have no relation whatsoever to Malus' family. The only thing I do agree with is that Dan Abnett could have chosen a better first name for the main character, 'Malus' is a little too obvious . Funny thing is that Malus is not particularly handsome, is rather short (for an elf) and about as charming as a cragwyrm...

Although not a Warhammer series, the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie is fantastic if you wanted to get a parallel universe feel for low magic gritty character driven fantasy.  There are a lot of themes, characters and scenes Mr Abercrombie uses that would be right at home in the Empire.

The Blade Itself.   Before They Are Hanged.  The Last Argument of Kings.   Joe Abercrombie should write scenarios for WFRP imo.

I can recommend Gotrek & Felix saga (the oldest being the best ones).

If you are looking for non Warhammer but warhammerish setting  I can recommed you the "Coldfire trilogy" from C S Friedman, or the Withcer books.

I have read only two trilogies of Warhammer novels.

I liked a lot the Witchhunter one (Witch Hunter, Witch Finder and Witch Killer) and it gave me a lot of inspiration and ideas for my own campaign.

I did not like so much "Vampire Wars: The Von Carstein Trilogy". I found the plot obvious and the writing not so good. It did not inspire me much for my RPG campaigns.

So, the only novels I can recommend is the Witchhunter trilogy.

Another book I can recommend you is Liber Chaotica. If you want to run adventures using Chaos cults it's a great source of material... don't show it to kids (this one is for mature people) or to people not into RPGs (they'll think you are completely nuts and dangerous) because some of the illustrations and texts are really scary... they make great handouts for the PCs when dealing with chaos cults.

Athenys said:

Necrozius said: ...and who has a pretty cliché, goofy name. partido_risa.gif

The books are worth a read, not LOTR level certainly but decent for pulp fantasy. The characters grow on you and (with the exception of the protagonist) their names are believable, thank goodness. 

It's not as corny once you realize that 'Darkblade' is the dark elf version of 'Doe'. IIRC darkblade is a term used to describe an ill-finished, defective weapon. Bastard dark elven children, especially those born of the lineage obsessed nobility use that as their last name. Some illegitimate fellow from Ghrond could be named 'Yrhen Darkblade' yet have no relation whatsoever to Malus' family. The only thing I do agree with is that Dan Abnett could have chosen a better first name for the main character, 'Malus' is a little too obvious . Funny thing is that Malus is not particularly handsome, is rather short (for an elf) and about as charming as a cragwyrm...

Well he had to work with the name of the miniature. So I think he handled it quite well.

Ah yes! The Liber Chaotica! Hands up from me also on advicing you such masterpieces!

I suggest you Liber Chaotica Complete that not only collects the four previous ones but adds an inedit chapter (damned commercial strategies!!!)

On the same line I suggest you "The life of Sigmar", "Liber Necris" and "Witrch hunter's handbook", great GW background books.

Oh, if you happen to put your hands on the mythical "Realms of Chaos" carpe diem and get them! In fact besides being storical pieces aging from the very beginning years of Warhammer are also unvaluable masterpieces for both backgrounding and depicting (they're full of awesome illustrations) Chaos, as well as providing you with easy to convert rules and adventure aids for your campaign if heavily based on Chaos.

phobiandarkmoon said:

Anything in the Genevieve line is good, including Silver Knives and Drachenfels as previously mentioned. The Florence and Lorenzo books are also fun in a very wicked way, and do a good job of exploring areas of the Warhammer World outside of the Old World. The Malus Darkblade comics I also highly recommend

Agree totally - esp on the Genevieve novels - however they do stray a bit from what some would consider normal WFRP world - although it more fits the Warhammer world I actually use.  It was however, pleasing to see referecnes to Gene in the Vampire sourcebook..............

also recomend

Honour of the Grave by Robin D. Laws (although not managed to get the sequals as yet)

Wild Kingdoms and Savage City by Robert Earl are both good. (and have useful NPCs / encounters)

Deaths City, Deaths Messenger and Deaths Legacy by my fav Black Library author Sandy Mitchel are very good. I feel they capture the whole doom laden Warhammer atmosphere very well........again lots of good adventure / encounter possibilites.

Gotrek and Felix, as noted by others are good tales :)

Anything by Dan Abnett is always worth a read...............