Sign in to follow this  
9thimmortal

Seattle Regional 9/26/09

What the hell, where are my results! SLACKERS!!!!

(actually I'm still in Thailand I have no idea what day or time it is over in the states, but that obviously won't stop me from demanding results. :) )

Top 4 results:

1) rings (Lanni) defeats Egg (Bara)

2) cha0s (Lanni) defeats meyers (Bara)

rings defeats cha0s with some Lanni vs. Lanni action in the Battle for Lannisport (only fitting).

That, and I drive a Dodge Stratus!

Considering that this was my first foray into competitive AGoT I'm going to give a small tournament report even though I see that they are usually reserved for those who win.  There were 9 players.  

4 Lannister:  rings, cha0s(KoW), Deathjester, binder

2 Baratheon:  meyers, Egg

2 Targaryen:  not sure of names, sorry

1 Stark:  Jesse?

I was using a Baratheon deck based on Salladhor Saan with 40 characters.  Thanks to binder for letting me use An Empty Throne, and Stay of Execution.

Round Robin:

Game 1 vs binder (Lannister):  A turn 2 Ruled by Decree(he had 7 cards in hand I think) set me up strong but after he got Salladhor and Renly in my dead pile early I thought I was screwed.  Luckily on a turn when I started with 0 cards and played A Time for Ravens plot, I drew into Sam and regrouped to pull out a win. 1-0

Game 2  vs Jesse? (Stark):  I got Salladhor out early with Lightbringer and a dupe and I don't think he drew very many characters.  After his Wildfire I was able to respond with 2 House Tyrell Guards and still have 5 characters and was able to win the game.  This was the game I think my deck worked the best/I drew all the cards I wanted.  2-0

Game 3 vs cha0s (Lannister Kings of Winter):  Turn 2 Rule by Decree was not enough this game.  This was a sad tale of hand advantage where near the end the only character I drew was Salladhor and his own dupe while cha0s had more characters.  After a promising start he ran away with the victory.  2-1

Game 4 vs meyers ( Baratheon):  I thought loosing the coinflip for turn 1 initiative would loose me the game as I had The Fox's Teeth and a Seductive Promise(which he claimed for intrigue first round) in hand.  He was running Bay of Ice which I got to draw with on the next round and the game finished with a classic 15-13 win for me in the 3rd round.  3-1

So I think I finished 2nd or 3rd as cha0s went 3-0 + a bye, and rings and I both went 3-1 both losing to cha0s.  Meyers got 4th with 1-2 + a bye (don't ask me how that works).

Semi-Finals vs rings (Lannister):  rings had a Lanni deck surprisingly strong on power icons and thin on non-uniques.  Talking to him after he said that his weakness was actually intrigue icons.  He got Ser IIyn Payne out right away which is a not so great card for my deck.  I was able to Seductive Promise him round 1 but my options were Carrion bird or Cersei's Attendant.  I took the chick and it proved useful after a turn 2 Wildfire and I was able to kneel Payne but it was all downhill from there.  I know I didn't win a challenge after that because I was never able to use Claw Isle.  I probably misplayed the next round when he played Snowed Under as he returned Davos to my hand and then Valared on turn 4.  With just Davos and Salladhor after my draw I knew I was toast.  I don't think I drew a card outside of the draw phase all game.  Rings won and went on to beat cha0s in the final so I don't feel all that bad for my first tournament and thought I represented Canada quite adequately.  

I had lots of fun( like when they announced the final score of the Oregon/Cal game) and met some cool people.  I had to leave after the Joust so I can't comment on all of these other questionable events but my imagination is taking me places I'm not prepared to go.  Thanks rings for hosting a great "Struggle for Lannisport" and I also got a cool preview book of A Game of Thrones with GRRM's signature!

-Steven from Canada

Guest Not In Sample

Egg said:

-Steven from Canada

Greetings and thanks for the report, I like a lot to read them! ;-)

I'm very happy to hear something good from the Baratheon side ;-)

I'd like to make you a couple of question about the tournament (to you and to any other player):

1- You played against a Stark Deck...What kind of Stark deck? Winter? Shadow? just curious...

2- What's about Targaryen? How did they do?

3- I know that they won...But did you feel Lannisters as the strongest ones? Even if you beated them once  (it's not impossible, fortunately), did you feel they're so said "ultra-power" that someone usually tell?

4- I'd like to see a list of the Winner ;-) "Lannister weak on intrigue" sounds like "Daenerys is a man" ;-)

Thanks

Bye

Deathjester26 said:

cha0s was playing a normal Lanni deck (no Shadows).  I think you're thinking of Freerider's Lanni Shadows deck froma couple of weeks ago.

We had nine people for the joust, but I'm not too sure of the breakdown.

Oops, my bad.  And Egg, we'll take tourney reports from whoever wants to write them!

Deathjester26 said:

cha0s was playing a normal Lanni deck (no Shadows).  I think you're thinking of Freerider's Lanni Shadows deck froma couple of weeks ago.

Yes you must be thinking of someone else...my deck was regular old Lanni that had only 1 shadow card (Tyrion). I will post a tourney report and deck list later.

Here are the 9 players and their Houses:

Rings - Lannister

cha0s - Lannister

Binder - Lannister (KoW)

Egg - Baratheon

Dave (meyers?) - Baratheon

Deathjester - Baratheon

Nick - Targaryen

Jim - Targaryen

Jesse - Stark... or was it GJ?

So here is my decklist, it went 4-0 in regulation (of course the first win was against Bye and he always gets stomped) so really I played 3 games and won them all which put me in the top 4. From there I proceeded to beat the 4th seed and advance all to finally end up the looser of the final game and runner up! I will write up a tourney report soon.

Lannister (no agenda)

----- Plots (7) avg income: 4 -----
A Time for Ravens x1 A Change of Seasons F59
The Winds of Winter x1 The Winds of Winter F40
A Song of Summer x1 A Song of Summer F20
Wildfire Assault x1 Core Set L191
Hear Me Roar x1 Core Set L192
The Power of Arms x1 Core Set S200
Fury of the Lion x1 Ancient Enemies F26

----- Characters (35) avg cost: 2 -----
* Joffrey Baratheon x3 Tales from the Red Keep F64
* Ser Jaime Lannister x1 The Tower of the Hand F44
* Tyrion Lannister x1 City of Secrets F5
* Tommen Baratheon x1 Scattered Armies F106
Mountain Refugee x2 Refugees of War F85
River Bandit x2 Refugees of War F95
* Samwell Tarly x1 The Raven's Song F66
* Mance Rayder x1 The Winds of Winter F33
Carrion Bird x3 The Winds of Winter F35
* Tywin Lannister x1 Core Set L40
* Ser Ilyn Payne x1 Core Set L41
Cersei's Attendant x3 Core Set L50
Lannisport Steward x3 Core Set L52
Lannisport Weaponsmith x3 Core Set L53
* Varys x1 Core Set L142
* Ser Lancel Lannister x1 Calling the Banners F103
Castellan of the Rock x2 The Battle of Ruby Ford F93
Lion Herald x2 Sacred Bonds F52
Vendor of Venoms x2 Sacred Bonds F60
* Jhalabar Xho x1 The War of Five Kings F2

----- Locations (11) avg cost: 1 -----
Lion's Gate x2 A Song of Summer F17
* Lannisport x1 Core Set L55
Golden Tooth Mines x2 Core Set L57
Sunset Sea x3 Core Set L65
Toll Gate x3 Ancient Enemies F33

----- Attachments (7) avg cost: 0.5 -----
White Raven x1 The Winds of Winter F24
Summer Tax x3 A Song of Summer F3
Devious Intentions x3 The Battle of Ruby Ford F94

----- Events (11) -----
Condemned by the Council x3 A Time of Trials F38
A Lannister Pays His Debts x3 Core Set L166
You've Killed the Wrong Dwarf! x3 Core Set L167
Compelled by the Rock x2 Calling the Banners F106

cha0s said:

Deathjester26 said:

Yes you must be thinking of someone else...my deck was regular old Lanni that had only 1 shadow card (Tyrion). I will post a tourney report and deck list later.

Here are the 9 players and their Houses:

Rings - Lannister

cha0s - Lannister

Binder - Lannister (KoW)

Egg - Baratheon

Dave (meyers?) - Baratheon

Deathjester - Baratheon

Nick - Targaryen

Jim - Targaryen

Jesse - Stark... or was it GJ?

Jesse played Chiliburgers err...Stark

DB_Cooper said:

2- What's about Targaryen? How did they do?

Not very well. I tried out an experimental idea using both White and Black Raven and did not win a match. Nick I believe was out of practice and did not know all the new LCG cards.

Side: These boards should add an Edit function.

Guest Not In Sample

LaughingTree said:

Not very well. I tried out an experimental idea using both White and Black Raven and did not win a match. Nick I believe was out of practice and did not know all the new LCG cards.

Side: These boards should add an Edit function.

Aside the fact that I like experiments, maybe the idea is good but it lacks in consistancy...I don't know the deck, so I cannot say anything for sure...I just "try"...(if you have a list I'd like to see it ;-))...

But I think Targaryen have serious chances to be a "t1" in torunament terms...They've lot of inner power (attachment recursion + burn, tri-icons, Dragons, Summer)...

The problem (not a problem for me)  is that Lannister have STRONG "well-known" game mechanics...I mean...I'm a Lannister player, for the most, and they're pretty efficient even in the "old way" as chaOs stated...

Targaryen, as well as Bara need a bit more "analysis", but they're going to be very, very strong.

Anyway....Thanks for the answer ;-)

P.S. AGREE ABOUT EDITING. Edit is available for the first 5 minutes after publishing, I think...It's something that should be fixed RIGHT NOW.

Egg said:

I thought you used Kings of Winter Agenda?

Nope. Binder used the Lanni w/ KoW agenda.

I used winter effects (summer tax, white raven) in my deck but no agenda. gran_risa.gif

Yeah...i played KOW with Lanni.  The original idea was a few locations and gold producing characters with lots of cheapies and events.  Then i changed the idea and it never really found its footing.  Never drink two chocolate stouts and revamp your deck the night before.

Rings was the ultimate host and gentleman.  Pyke needs an errata as it ruined our meta.

aloha,

binder

Thanks to rings for hosting. That man is most generous. A prize table like I've never seen for a nine-person tournament! A basement set up for co-ed cube drafting, which if you didn't know what it was, might sound dirty. Anyway, thanks, rings.

I played a Bara deck dependent on getting one noble character really beefy with out-of-house Devious Intentions, Lightbringer, Bodyguard, Hunting Spear, then surrounding him with claim-fodder weenie characters. The usual cards that work off of power challenges like Seductive Promise, Support of the Kingdom, Martial Law, were key. Standy-Bob, Distinct Mastery, and the new Eddard also played integral roles. Renly and Stannis are no slouches though.  The plots are set up to keep my noble around for a few rounds while I race to the win (Power of Blood x2, Stay the Execution). Prosperity and Plenty gets my needed attachments back (and cheaper!) from the discard pile. I can post the deck on Tzumainn if anyone wants the list.

My first game was against Nick playing Targ.  I had everything working except for the fact that he kept discarding my needed attachments. I kept getting them back, then they'd go away again. It seemed I was always one card away from a swing. Right after his Valar, I drew my Bodyguard. He had one Shadow Card in his deck that he of course had in Shadows for most of the game (sit down, Standy-Bob!). I lost, it felt closer than it actually was.

Second round was a bye. I called my wife, did some homework, checked the football scores. Easy win.

Then I played John, who was also playing Bara. We thought it might be a mirror match, but after the first round he had four big characters in play, none of which I had in my deck. I Valared second turn after he commanded set-up and first round. Then I set up a Devious Renly with the plot protection and it was over.

Fourth round was against Egg, another Bara. His deck was slightly different than John's or mine, but we were both vying for power challenges. I intrigued his Seductive promise, which would have been game right there. I was able to Seduce him the next round. My Martial Law kept it close, but in true Bara fashion it was over on plot three with a total of 28 power on the board (15-13, for the math deficient). I got to 14 before his challenges and Dominance actions took him to 15.

Then, miraculously, I was in the top four. There is no logical reason for this that I can explain. I beat one human opponent. I would've given up my seat to Jesse, but it seemed he was there mostly to play Halo, so I took my fourth seed. The game with Dan was a blur. I do remember he took the Motley that I gave him and put it back on my own Standy-Bob. That made it very expensive to keep that engine working. I even had Eddard out to keep all the Lanni trickery in check (~yeah, 'cause that is real Nedly). It came down to the 6th plot and I could either valar my own Bob and Ned or try for a 2 claim plot. I knew if I valared the game would drag and I'd be left to hope to draw one of my other nobles. So I went for claim and lost that round. Side note: I did have Bay of Ice for draw, which worked 80% of the time in my favor. Once during this game I took my extra draw and my 2 during draw phase and ended up drawing all three of my fiefdoms! Sweet!

All in all, it was a phenomenal time.  Even though Pyke spoiled multiplayer, cube draft ended up being excellent fun. Thanks again to everyone who traveled far, and to those locals who made us all feel welcome.

'Till next year!

-Dave "Whiskers" Myers

Guest Not In Sample

myersd37 said:

...Then, miraculously, I was in the top four. There is no logical reason for this that I can explain. I beat one human opponent...

Ahahahh, that was hilarious! ;-) Swiss round mysteries...

Anyway...I'd really like to see the list, if you can...Don't be afraid, I'm not going to use your own weapon against you for actual distance problem ;-)

I'm just curious ;-)

Bye

LaughingTree said:

Too bad Pyke and Littlefinger's Meddling ruined the competition.

greybinder said:

Pyke needs an errata as it ruined our meta.

myersd37 said:

Even though Pyke spoiled multiplayer

Is anyone ever going to say what poor Pyke did to deserve such condemnation?

Arma virumque said:

Is anyone ever going to say what poor Pyke did to deserve such condemnation?

Well you just had to be there to witness the broken-ness. It should be banned, really an errata isn't enough!

cha0s said:

Well you just had to be there to witness the broken-ness. It should be banned, really an errata isn't enough!

~Now you're just being mean....

Does "Pyke" mean Wex Pyke?  That poor boy.  Brings to mind another victim of the mob's howling cries for banishment:

wesleycrusher.jpg

Hey all!

I have been totally out of it since this tourney.  Long story...

#1 - just like Kubla we had more for the cube draft than for the main event.  Cube draft for the win!  i did have to re-balance it a little though after GJ seemed to win every match. 

#2 - as always, I had a really awesome time.  Thanks to all the people from 3 states and Canada.

#3 - I was disappointed in the locals.  We should have had 3-5 more people.  You know who you are!

I have already taken apart my deck.  It was Lanni control, meaning mainly it seemed to win by having 2-3 cards in shadows and then the Valar.  I was happy to win, mainly since I beat a Lanni deck that was playing the stupid Lanni Limited kneeling guy who i hate with every fiber of my being.  :)

To answer someone's question - I was very light on the intrigue icon.  Not sure why - but really Lanni doesn't have overpowering guys with the intrigue icon it seems.  Especially when you go non-unique light as I was doing (I hate Premptive Vengence).  Also, I do believe that Lanni is the best house, although GJ and Targ are close.  Bara is strong as well.  Really, this might be the most balanced the environment has been. 

I have a picture of the prize table (which did rock, I agree), but can't get it to work. 

Thanks again!

rings said:

Especially when you go non-unique light as I was doing (I hate Premptive Vengence). 

okay, i meant to ask this when i first saw it, but i must have been in a rush. Why did a Crown of Suns card play into your deck building thought process?

Lars said:

rings said:

Especially when you go non-unique light as I was doing (I hate Premptive Vengence). 

okay, i meant to ask this when i first saw it, but i must have been in a rush. Why did a Crown of Suns card play into your deck building thought process?

Seductive Promise...for some reason I always say PM (maybe since i used to love that card, maybe because they have the same basic cadence?).  Steal a non-unique one...