Sign in to follow this  
emmjay

Command Cards - Sleeves or No?

Regionals are starting up in a few weeks, and I just got done with a small local tournament just so we could all get some good tourney practice in before regionals start.  A question came up today that I think the entire community needs to know about.

From the Tourney FAQ under the heading COMPONENT MODIFICATIONS:

"Deployment and Mission cards must remain unaltered, though they may be sleeved for protection.  Command Cards must be sleeved, and their sleeves must be identical and unaltered."

Command card must be sleeved?  I have never sleeved cards before, why start now?  The TO didn't catch this and one "Rules Nazi" did and tried to get other disqualified from this event.  TO said that this little rule wouldn't be enforced.  

Now, what happens at Regionals, especially since FFG is sold out of their yellow sleeves?  

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?SKU=FFS01

I believe the reason for sleeving is to prevent someone from slightly marking cars with wear on the edges and such. I've never really seen that level of cheating in any Star Wars games,but apparently FFG must have gotten it enough in other games.

As far as being sold out, maybe the store could get a few packs before regionals and loan out 15 at a time or have that covered in the cost to play and give everyone a set that needs one.

Squid89, I understand what you're trying to say there. But what's stopping me from "marking" my cards, then putting them in sleeves? Or "marking" my sleeves? I think it's a vain attempt to get players to purchase card sleeves. Especially since those little card sleeves are near impossible (see: impossible) to find outside of FFG.

Thanks for that clarification. I haven't participated in any tournaments, so I'm not familiar with that aspect of it. Also, my FLGS only has the FFG small sleeves available in store (I haven't asked if I can get them another way).

Squid89, I understand what you're trying to say there. But what's stopping me from "marking" my cards, then putting them in sleeves? Or "marking" my sleeves? I think it's a vain attempt to get players to purchase card sleeves. Especially since those little card sleeves are near impossible (see: impossible) to find outside of FFG.

Nothing but hopefully you won't do it.

If anything this will prevent wear and tear from occuring, in most games marked cards become due to common use and wear and tear. Ideally there would be non see through sleeves but alas these are not readily available.

"Rules Nazi" did and tried to get other disqualified from this event.

Tried to get someone disqualified because lack of card condoms?

What a certifiable d-bag.

Edited by Fizz

That's exactly what I was thinking.

However, I play with sleeves on most of my games that have that option. I think it's just good sense in extending the life of my favorite games.

Oh, I sleeve everything too. Gotta protect my investment!

But the fact that this person wanted someone DQ'ed because of it is just flat out pathetic and just goes to show you how lame some people can be just to get a win. This person would get a real life /IGNORE from me!

Oh, I sleeve everything too. Gotta protect my investment!

But the fact that this person wanted someone DQ'ed because of it is just flat out pathetic and just goes to show you how lame some people can be just to get a win. This person would get a real life /IGNORE from me!

Listen, I'basically in full agreement that it could (in most cases) justly be considered a poor "move" but on the other hand: It says in the rules the card must be sleeved (in tournament play) so why does this person feel "entitled" to not follow this rule when everybody else have complied to it?? And what (hypothetically) you get the notion that a player has the card non-sleeved to gain an advantage? What then?

It's not like it is a million dollar "investment" to sleeve them, so why not simply do it and move on??

The d-bag part is the trying to get them DQ's it's easy enough to point it out have the player go buy sleeves at the store and sleeve them.

You can't really fault a player for calling out their opponent for not following the rules. "Card condoms" are required for skirmish in the rules, better get used to it.

We are only hearing this from the players end not the opponent. For all we know he just let the judge know that his opponent did not have sleeves and the TO said well that could be a DQ. As someone who's TO'd event for other games with similar rules this happens all the time and most of the time it's just a misunderstanding the opponent may want to make sure the player knows the rules for future more serious level events.

Edited by KennedyHawk

Just to reiterate: Sleeves are not the issue. The person who wanted an easy win via disqualification is. Where a simple "rules state you need card condoms" would have been acceptable.