Sign in to follow this  
Mndela

Forums Difference

I only write and read the post on this forum cause of my poor english, i need a lot of time to read english language; i dont have enough time then for reading all post in all forums.

However, i'm curious, there are any differences between all the forums? BoarGameGeek, CardGameDB, etc?

Why there are people that only participates in one forum and not in another? Is the FFG forum the official forum of the game? If you want to comment any question specially you must go to any particular forum of these?

How do you define each forum? have they got any preferences particulary?

Thanks

For me its the tone or tenor of the forum. A forum that is open and helpful gets more of my time then one with many negative members. I don't mind people saying discouraging things about a game, it's mea, it's publisher or whatever but say it nicely and articulate a change or fix that you think would help. Discussion is what we're here for but it needs to be civil and fluid. A stagnate statement, wether kind or discouraging can often bring a good conversation to a halt.

While I am a member of CGDB and browse the forum there I prefer to post here only because of the tone. I feel more at home here.

I just started visiting this forum due to the FFG overhaul on the website. 

I also check the BGG forums.

I find the community very supporting of this game and really enjoy discussing with other gamers about this game. 

I mostly use FFG, but I also check BGG.  I think the FFG forums have a larger pool of experienced players that's great for discussing deck ideas, new cards, and other random Tolkien discussions.  For example, the current discussion of whether or not Tactagorn needs errata would never happen on BGG.  BGG is better for newer players because it's a lot easier to find premade decks, rules, player aids, etc.  BGG is also more positive and has fewer arguments.  But I like the arguments, so I tend to spend more time on FFG.  :D

I've largely avoided the FFG forums for the past year or so because of the rampant negativity (which I've been guilty of, as well) that - at least used to - crop up here. BGG and the Facebook groups (COTR, Grey Company, Tales from the Cards) have always had a much friendlier atmosphere IMHO.

Edited by Dain Ironfoot

Well,

I mostly agree with Teamjimby. BBG is really a more novice place imo. (and i also hate it's lay-out)
These forums have brought me into the game, into a community I couldn't have found so easily otherwise and they teach me a lot.

I'm actually suprised to read Dain Ironfoots comment, because I find the people here very welcoming and respectfull. There are only two persons I know of who can come over harsh, but to quote two characters 'All that glitters, is not gold' and 'Who are you to pass judgement of death so easily upon another' (lacking time to find the full officaly quote) would make my statement about that. We don't know them really in person and maybe they meaning things otherwise.
We have things like discussions about erratta, although imo this one got a bit out of hand, we discuss new cards, spoilers, and old cards alike. The strategy section features cool decks and deck ideas, where people can pitch off their ideas and thoughts and recieve constructive feedback.
The rules section has some particular great members, like GrandSpleen and Alogos, who get great joy out of rules-science and are always willing to help people out. Great discussions about certain rules or FAQs pop up from time to time and it's fun to read and/or participate in.
The main section features as mentioned spoilers which are discussed thoroughly, but also events in the community ranging from CotR and The Grey Company to other smaller things. Lore has been talked about often and has a special questions topic.

Anyway, I think it's great here. I got to meet nice people here and I really enjoy it here. Everybody is really friendly, not only here but the whole LoTR Card game community. A fellow player even shipped me an Alternative Art Aragorn without us ever having met, for free! When I first googled 'lord of the rings board game' I never even dreamed it would go llike this. So, if you're readinf this Thomas, thanks mate!, and a thank you to all participants on this forum!

Edited by gandalfDK

At the end of the day, it's unfortunately the negative things that tend to pop out in your memory, whether we're talking about a forum or something else. It takes special attention and effort to try to remind our brains of all the positives. Which I think you've done a good job of, gandalfDK!

Edited by Raven1015

I'll add that there has certainly been outright nastiness here, but that tends to happen in waves, and it's been pretty decent lately. There's a lot more of the bad stuff that is the result of the tonelessness of internet communication and would probably not happen if we were talking face-to-face.

I spend most of my time here but also check bgg.

I have to say, for the many hobbies i have and thus the many forums i am a member of i think that this place doesnt seem to get arguments. Discussions and heratfelt opinions but all seems done with rrspect considerably more than most places.

Here is everything that i had to say and also great words from gandalfDK  ;)

I agree in that this forum is great now and has been great for a while. I mean I actually can't remember the last time I've seen negativity or nastiness in here. But even back when it was really nasty I didn't really care at all. Rereading them, they were pretty dumb. But as I said I can't remember when it happened last and can't remember Dain Ironfoot being rude. I think I prefer this forum for its more interesting and intellectual side. I mean as someone else said here we have the most interesting discussion, and in fact most of the internet discussion springs from here. About new sets, spoilers, and the game itself (this thread, for example). So this could be considered like the internet Lotr lcg Athens or something. It would be interesting to know how many other people play and discuss the game and do not post or read anything about Lotr lcg on the internet. But I don't think it's many.

Edited by Gizlivadi

Isn't it a rolling joke on CotR podcast that these forums are bogged with nastiness? I think at some point it might have been the case. But now it seems civil. Mostly.

I must admit, for me it is actually somewhat of a guilty pleasure to read trolly posts and the following drama (e.g. one recent "Tolkien's a sh*tty writer" post comes to mind). As long as it an exception to otherwise pleasant discussions then it is all good.

Still, comparing to BGG forums the overall feel here is very different. FFG forums seem more hardcore (if that is the correct word). On average I would say people here are more invested into LoTR LCG or generally collectible card games. On BGG it is more general board game fans, and the attitude is more relaxed, casual. So as a rule of thumb the discussions here are more interesting for the fans, deeper. And people are more opinionated, confident in their knowledge of the game/lore.

Also, I think the anonymity here is much more extended than on BGG. And we all know what that might mean on the Internet.

I just visit this place. I like it here.

Friendly people, mostly.

Yet when I was new here I commented alot more often.

Had a really bad year in 2014 (and going strong) and couldn't be bothered posting half the time.

Now I lurk a few times a week here, alot less then I used to.

That, and I simply don't have the time to browse all those other forums.

Tho I do know of them, 1 forum is enough for me.

I also read (almost) all of Ian's & Dan's & Derek's sites articles, but rarely comment.

I don't listen to any pot casts. I just never tried. But my play group friends both do listen; and lurk here.

And about the vibe here: yes there are arguments sometimes.

And why do those happen? Because we are all passionate about the game.

If people didn't complain or discuss or even argue for their opinion, they didn't care.

Constructive posting is what (most) of us try to do in our own different ways.

All because we all love this game, we take our time to post here. Remember that.

Well that, and also miscommunication between posters, reading something different then intended, or difficulty with the english language. Which is perfectly normal on most forums.

People are people, and this still is the internet.

In the end, we are all here for the same thing. Mostly.