Sign in to follow this  
RoBro

looting bodies

I just ran an adventure that required the acolytes to fight Eldar Dire Avangers, they knew that eldar weapons were very rare so they looted them off the bodies and plan to sell them. Now would the inquisition want these or are they aloud to sell them?

Well, really depends on how you would want to take it. For my Campaign, if their Inquisitor found out what they had on them he probably would burn them alive. But if it was his associate that found out first, he'd confiscate the weapons.

I don't see how they would sell them unless they have underground connections to the black market and get a fencer.

Do they realize what they are getting theirselves into by looting Xenos?

It really depends on how puritanical/stupid your inquisitor is. Even if he's a zealot, he might see reason in turning over xeno technology to the AdMech so they can study its weaknesses. So if your players found and turned over some Eldar weapons, he would most likely not punish. Hell, he might even reward them. However if your players tried to keep the stuff, most inquisitors would flip. Even a radical wouldn't want their acolytes using xeno-tech in public as it would compromise their missions by essentially redflaging them to any adeptus in the area.

A radical would probably be fine with using them, if they were discreet about it. As for selling them, they'd have to frame it to the inquisitor as a matter of establishing underworld contacts for use in future investigations, not just making a quick Throne. A more fanatical Puritan probably wouldn't see it that way, though.

LordMunchkin said:

It really depends on how puritanical/stupid your inquisitor is. Even if he's a zealot, he might see reason in turning over xeno technology to the AdMech so they can study its weaknesses. So if your players found and turned over some Eldar weapons, he would most likely not punish. Hell, he might even reward them. However if your players tried to keep the stuff, most inquisitors would flip. Even a radical wouldn't want their acolytes using xeno-tech in public as it would compromise their missions by essentially redflaging them to any adeptus in the area.

Back in the day thier used to be a "Mars Pattern" Shuriken Catapult.  It was a dodgy copy based of salvaged and retroengineered Xeno-tech.

- Raith

I should think the Inquisitor would expect then to take the weapons, if for no other reason than so they might be destroyed and not get back into the hands of the enemy.  However, only a fairly open minded master would overlook his acolytes using the weapons, and I don't think any would allow them to sell the arms without - very likely - having their minions executed.  

Remember, dealing with xenos tech is Heresy, and making it available to those dealing in black market goods - possibly, and even very likely, heretical extremists - is high treason.

well if an inquisitor of the order xenos caught them the best they can expcet is the weapons confiscated, but carrying could put them in danger of being shot by any of the ordos of the inquisition and many of the adeptus forces. my inquisitor would expect them to hand them over unless they had a bloody good reason to use them

Alos not that the Inquisitor might not even bother to rummage through his/her acolytes' gear. Sure, some Inquisitors might be paranoid in the extreme and make their acolytes go through a scrutinized pat-down every time they come back from a mission, but that sort of behaviour is in no way a standard procedure. Although it might be a bit hard to smuggle out rifle sized weaponry without being discovered, a pistol or two does not pose the same kind of problem as long as you wear voluminous clothing.

This sounds like a terrable case of greed. From the origional post they were going to take them to sell them for the vast amount of thrones they are worth. I would let them play it out, not even having to speak to their inquisitor before hand. If they are dumb enough to go into a weapons dealer shop on a hive world, or something like a pawn shop, then the man would probably call the enforcers or local Aribites. When the group gets locked up (if they are smart enough to not resist), then they will have to answer to their inquisitor. Hell, theres even a chance they will get to take their way out of it with some crazy rollplaying and good rolls. But no matter what the weapons are confiscated.

Even if their inquisitor is cool with it, most Enforcers, Aribites, Shop keepers with a knowlege of weapons, ect; will not be cool with it. Weapons like that are dangerious to own.

Ira said:

Even if their inquisitor is cool with it, most Enforcers, Aribites, Shop keepers with a knowlege of weapons, ect; will not be cool with it. Weapons like that are dangerious to own.

Most Enforcers, Arbites an Shop Keepers have never even seen alien weaponry. You'd have to have some rudimentary knowledge of Xenos other than Imperial propaganda about them in order to identify specific weapons as alien design. Techpriests scrutinizing the weapon on the other hand would probably recognize it as non-human build, but regarding enforcers, arbites and shop keepers, they'd have to be of high rank or education in order to recognize it.

However, getting the proper amount of thrones for the weapons in question might be harder. In order to know what they're worth you'd have to take a skillcheck in Evaluate, and it would probably be laden with penalties due to such specific knowledge involved. Then you're gonna have to convince the buyer of their worth without actually revealing the fact that they are of alien design. (revealing such information MIGHT get you more money, but then you'd have to take the risk of revealing the fact that you are dealing in xenos tech, something that will sooner or later reach the ears of the authorities).

Varnias Tybalt said:

Ira said:

Most Enforcers, Arbites an Shop Keepers have never even seen alien weaponry. You'd have to have some rudimentary knowledge of Xenos other than Imperial propaganda about them in order to identify specific weapons as alien design. Techpriests scrutinizing the weapon on the other hand would probably recognize it as non-human build, but regarding enforcers, arbites and shop keepers, they'd have to be of high rank or education in order to recognize it.

However, getting the proper amount of thrones for the weapons in question might be harder. In order to know what they're worth you'd have to take a skillcheck in Evaluate, and it would probably be laden with penalties due to such specific knowledge involved. Then you're gonna have to convince the buyer of their worth without actually revealing the fact that they are of alien design. (revealing such information MIGHT get you more money, but then you'd have to take the risk of revealing the fact that you are dealing in xenos tech, something that will sooner or later reach the ears of the authorities).

That's a great note, about it reaching the ears of the authorities. Almost makes me want to suggest that the Inquisitor sends the Acolytes to find out where this Xeno-tech weaponry is coming from. Could lead to some hilarity as the Acolytes probably will attempt a cover-up.

Fideru said:

Varnias Tybalt said:

Ira said:

That's a great note, about it reaching the ears of the authorities. Almost makes me want to suggest that the Inquisitor sends the Acolytes to find out where this Xeno-tech weaponry is coming from. Could lead to some hilarity as the Acolytes probably will attempt a cover-up.

That would be a great "Oh Sh*t!!" moment.

"Listen, I think the cleric is going to talk. I say we take care of him."

Varnias Tybalt said:

You don't have to have seen xenos weaponry before to realise that a Eldar weapon =|= human technology. Any enforcer, arbite or shop keeper who saw a shuriken catapult would realise straight away that there's something wrong with it.

Selling the weapon will be difficult, unless the characters have contacts in the Cold Trade (which is the kind of activity the PCs are supposed to be breaking up, not participating in!). They could probably sell them on the normal black market, but will get only a fraction of their worth (I'd say not more than 20%).

Besides all the above points, Eldar weaponry is gene locked, designed to be fired only by the person the weapon was grown for. So they might just not work in the hands of mon keigh!

Or some Eldar Rangers are dispatched after the acolytes to bring the weaponry back...

macd21 said:

You don't have to have seen xenos weaponry before to realise that a Eldar weapon =|= human technology. Any enforcer, arbite or shop keeper who saw a shuriken catapult would realise straight away that there's something wrong with it.

Uh, wait a minute. Technology and most knowledge of it's workings in the Imperium of Man is highly monopolized by the AdMech, that includes weaponry as well. And considering the fact that nobles frequently carry sidearms of highly unorthodox and ornate design, I find it hard to believe that a low ranking Arbitrator or Enforcer would "simply know" that he's looking at an eldar weapon when he's only seen one in the hands of a human.

For all they know, it could just be a very fine crafted las-pistol, or some sort of weapon design from off-world (from another imperial world). If they have "Forbidden Lore (Xenos)" it would be a different story of course, but if they don't then I find it highly implausible that you "could just tell" that a shuriken pistol is an alien weapon, from the ridiculously large arsenal of exotic human weapons (just rifle through the pages of Inquisitors Handbook and you'll know what I mean).

Of course, some weapons will be more obvious in alien design than others (like the Slaught Necrotic Sceptre), and will probably be more easy to recognize. But Eldar weaponry would require more specialized knowledge. They aren't the most common threat to the Calixis Sector after all, and most propaganda about hostile alien species is mostly about Orks or Tyranids. Encounters with the Eldare are extremely rare, and so is knowledge of their technology. If you're nothing but a dirt-side living Enforcer or Arbitrator or Shop keeper, you will have seen a myriad of different pistols, rifles and close combat weapons, each more strange looking than the other. It would be nigh impossible to differentiate an eldar weapon out of that mix if you don't have the special skills to spot them.

DivinatorVictus said:

Besides all the above points, Eldar weaponry is gene locked, designed to be fired only by the person the weapon was grown for. So they might just not work in the hands of mon keigh!

Where does it say that? Although I might have missed it in Creatures Anathema because I haven't read much of the Xenos chapter in detail, but im pretty sure that there is no rule that states that all eldar weaponry is gene-locked.

Sounds more like a GM invented machination to prevent players from ever using xenos weaponry, which is the GM's prerogative of course (although a quite boring one if you ask me).

I can relate to why the GM wouldn't like his or her players doing frantic looting of slain aliens only to try to sell the weapons off on the black market, but actively preventing them from taking a trophy or two that they MIGHT find use for in the future sounds awfully stifling and boring.

Fideru said:

That sounds like a great idea! gran_risa.gif

It could even work for acolytes belonging to the "wrong" Ordos (it's primarily Ordo Xenos that investigate the Cold Trade and xenos occurences in general). But let's say that the acolytes belong to either Ordo Hereticus or Ordo Malleus, then they might find themselves confronted by agents of the Ordo Xenos somewhere down the line. Perhaps giving birth to some really dangerous enemies.

After all, Inquisitors and their retinues fight amongst themselves all the time. "Trust in your suspicion" is a common motto.

This might even give rise to even stranger events, where an Ordo Xenos Inquisitor accuses the PC's from trading in Xenos weaponry, but their own Inquisitor might actually DEFEND them (either due to feeling insulted by a snippy Xenos Inquisitor, or simply because it might just seem like the OX Inquisitor is out to injure his reputation by dragging the PC's through the mud).

This could turn out to be a scenario reminiscent of the movie "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels", but set in the 40K universe instead. And rather than two ancient shotguns of high value being the major plot device, you have a stock of eldar weaponry instead. gran_risa.gif

Varnias Tybalt said:

DivinatorVictus said:

Where does it say that? Although I might have missed it in Creatures Anathema because I haven't read much of the Xenos chapter in detail, but im pretty sure that there is no rule that states that all eldar weaponry is gene-locked.

Sounds more like a GM invented machination to prevent players from ever using xenos weaponry, which is the GM's prerogative of course (although a quite boring one if you ask me).

I can relate to why the GM wouldn't like his or her players doing frantic looting of slain aliens only to try to sell the weapons off on the black market, but actively preventing them from taking a trophy or two that they MIGHT find use for in the future sounds awfully stifling and boring.

Its mentioned in the 2nd edition Eldar Codex for the TT game as afar as I remember. Plus it was generally just the aspect warrior weaponry which was locked. So no, there is no actual DH rule that does prevent them being used but its not a stretch.

Obviously its better if the GM gives the players rope to hang themselves with but it depends on whether Robro feels confident enough that it wont completely derail the direction of the plot to run with this.

Depending on the quantity of weapons, it could be passed into the black market without an Inquisitor's notice... or it could cause a planet-wide crackdown.

If the players wanted to keep the weapons for themselves, keep in mind that ammunition for it would be extremely hard to come by, and they would have to get special training to use the weapons without incurring the usual penalty for untrained weapon use.

Varnias Tybalt said:

Uh, wait a minute. Technology and most knowledge of it's workings in the Imperium of Man is highly monopolized by the AdMech, that includes weaponry as well. And considering the fact that nobles frequently carry sidearms of highly unorthodox and ornate design, I find it hard to believe that a low ranking Arbitrator or Enforcer would "simply know" that he's looking at an eldar weapon when he's only seen one in the hands of a human.

Eldar hands are longer and thinner than human hands, right? The handle will be all wrong.

A shopkeeper would probably notice that an Eldar weapon was unusual. Depending on his inclination, he probably would do one of three things:

1) Alert the authorities/Redeption (if he's a fanatic, especially superstitious, or even just a little on the paranoid side)

2) Simply refuse to buy it (if he's a pragmatic person who doesn't want trouble and minds his own business)

3) Warily purchase it for sale on the black market (if he's a crooked dealer with the connections to find a buyer for a strange or even heretical item).

Varnias Tybalt said:

For all they know, it could just be a very fine crafted las-pistol, or some sort of weapon design from off-world (from another imperial world). If they have "Forbidden Lore (Xenos)" it would be a different story of course, but if they don't then I find it highly implausible that you "could just tell" that a shuriken pistol is an alien weapon, from the ridiculously large arsenal of exotic human weapons (just rifle through the pages of Inquisitors Handbook and you'll know what I mean).

Of course, some weapons will be more obvious in alien design than others (like the Slaught Necrotic Sceptre), and will probably be more easy to recognize. But Eldar weaponry would require more specialized knowledge. They aren't the most common threat to the Calixis Sector after all, and most propaganda about hostile alien species is mostly about Orks or Tyranids. Encounters with the Eldare are extremely rare, and so is knowledge of their technology. If you're nothing but a dirt-side living Enforcer or Arbitrator or Shop keeper, you will have seen a myriad of different pistols, rifles and close combat weapons, each more strange looking than the other. It would be nigh impossible to differentiate an eldar weapon out of that mix if you don't have the special skills to spot them.

They wouldn't recognise them as Eldar Weapons (most would never have heard of the Eldar), but they are instantly going to realise that it isn't a normal weapon and is probably proscribed. Sure, it could be a highly obscure weapon owned by a noble - but probably not. They will probably assume that it is either xenostech or a heretek device, unless the acolytes can prove otherwise.

I'd agree with macd21. Even the most ignorant shopkeeper would probably notice that Eldar weaponry are not made of metal, plastic, or in fact any identifiable substance and look inhuman. They'd be suspicious. However, give your techpriest some plating and some time and he could probably do a decent job in disguising it as an exotic needler-variant. It wouldn't stand up to any close scrutiny but it might give you the deniability you need for a moment.

However, given the rarity and value the Acolytes themselves would place on the weaponry it's unlikely they would find any buyers that would give a near reasonable price for it unless they had at least an inkling of what they were dealing with.

RoBro said:

I just ran an adventure that required the acolytes to fight Eldar Dire Avangers, they knew that eldar weapons were very rare so they looted them off the bodies and plan to sell them. Now would the inquisition want these or are they aloud to sell them?

What, your players don't have faith in the weapons of the empire?  Just be ready with the line; they are trophies! gui%C3%B1o.gif