Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emirikol

The state of our Hobby

78 posts in this topic

The issue, for me, isn't the price (still high for the main box). If I want that game and I have the money, I'll buy it.

The way I see it is how they are selling an hybrid between RPG/boardgame/card game. Like and RPG.

Perhaps I'm an old gamer, but these are "experiments" that torn apart my belowed hobby, on the long run. The focus of these new games (genres?) are more and more towards fighting, cards, miniatures, boards, etc.

More and more merchandise and the like, sporting very little substance, very little innovation in how you immerse yourself in a world of imagination.

Games like D&D 4th aren't, Imho, an example of game design geniuses. Not they are RPG anymore. They are other games. Nothing more. Nothing less.

To me a good designed world, described in details with flavour and peculiarities, with ad-hoc rules that catch the world's feel and makes we wonder... are way more important than using a card for reading my class/career/whatever.

It's more important how I use my dice, instead of using a die with an hammer or star drawn on it.

Well there is no denying the hobby as we know is dead again and will no longer be supported except by the true fans with fan material, nothing new really. Considering FFG still has the license there isn’t any hope of a revival at this time.

There is a game called Battlestations which is a hybrid board game and roleplay game sort of like this new 3E is. They make no claims to being a RPG though and it is a fun game for what it is. Hell if 3E was a new game that wasn’t replacing my favorite RPG then I would be happy for the possibility of it bringing more players to the game. I do not like seeing this type of a trend though in the RPG market. Even though the individual pieces may eventually be sold separately at a cheaper price (no word of FFG doing this though) it does add up. Call it conspiracy if you want, but if you think they were not considering the implications of proprietary playing pieces that make your character a total pain to manage if you don’t use, then you’re mistaken. If you think they didn’t split up the player content that used to exist in one book into multiple supplements to rake in more money then you’re mistaken again.

I like seeing supplements that expand upon the game world, but I don’t like seeing a trend where they take existing material that used to exist in one book and rehashing it out into multiple supplements which forces you to spend more money buying all these additional supplements. It isn’t to hard to figure out why they’ve done it though really, obviously money, but traditionally it is the GM who buys all the additional supplements where as the players typically just buy the main rule book and be done with it. Now by splitting out the player content into these supplements the goal is to have both GM and players buying all supplements.

How can one not look at that and see a company taking advantage of a games fans.

What really should of have happened was they should have make the Rat Catcher’s Tale they advertised into this new game instead of replacing WFRP with it. It’d have received a much better receptions and support from the fans.

Foolishboy said:

The one FFG constant is the poor forum software. A lot of people just copy and paste the quotes in italic text rather than struggle with the forum quoting.

Somehow, I manage to quote without difficulty most of the time, however...