Sign in to follow this  
awp832

Score your BSG games

My friends and I like to score our Arkham games just to see how we did.   I've been thinking the past few days that I wished BSG had a score system as well.   So I decided to make one.   Without further ado I'm going to list the system, and add more comments and notes later.

1.  +1 point per  remaining point of Fuel, Food, and Morale.

2.  +3 points per remaining point of Population.

3.  +10 points per unspent Nuke token.

4.  -10 points per unrevealed Cylon who is not in the brig/detention.

5.  -5 points per human who is in the brig/detention.  Infiltrating Cylon leaders who are in the brig/detention do not affect score.

6.  -5 points per human executed during the game.

7.  +10 points if a Cylon leader fufilled an agenda in which Humans Win.

8.  -10 points if a Cylon leader fufilled an agenda in which Humans Lose.

Designer notes:   First of all, this is kind of just version 0.1, so any comments or suggestions are definitely welcome.   As you may see, rather than devising two separate score systems, I decided that Humans would play for as high a score as possible, and Cylons would play for a low score.   In making the system I tried to keep in mind thematic goals, but also to encourage the sneakiness in BSG that we all know and love. 

I made population worth 3 points apiece instead of just 1 to reflect that early FTL jumps make the game eaiser.    A tried and true strategy is: Last Jump?  Higher than 3 pop?  Pull the switch!   I thought humans might be a little more concerned about the welfare of their race, so I wanted to reward them a little for planning jumps acurately.

Nukes are really good,   big points award if you manage to save them.

#4 is because I wanted to reward sneaky Cylon play.   Chances are that a Cylon will have to reveal during the course of the game,  but if not, than Kudos to you, sir.   #5 seemed a logical corralary of the above, and you also don't want to be imprisoning too many humans for crimes they didn't commit.

#6 was to hammer you for using the airlock a little further. 

#7-8 were big points awards that I decided to make.  I figured that each side (human/cylon) has very little incentive to win 'with' the Cylon leader.  So I decided to award a score boost if they did.  I also think this gives a Cylon leader a nice little tool in their toolbox.   "Hey, you can trust me.  You want the 10 points, don't you?"

Any thought to a minor loss of points if a Cylon revealed while not in the Brig/Detention - i.e. got his special ability to go off?  If that happens, it means the humans weren't good enough/fast enough in rooting out the Cylons.  I wouldn't make it a major loss of points, maybe just -3 or something, because if the Cylon wanted to, he or she could do that at the beginning of the game.  But it could represent a Cylon playing well by picking the right moment to stab the humans when they were not playing well enough to prepare for it.

+3 per population seems really high.  I would keep it the same as all commodities (or value fuel as the highest seeing as in a base game getting a head of the fuel curve is the 1st priority)

If you play the New Caprican way of the Boardgame my expirience tells me population is one of the most valuable ressources. All games ended with 1 or less population. So it seems to be reasonable thought with +3 :)