Sign in to follow this  
barnabys

How I learned to stop hating Roxas and win Gencon, Part 3

So I figured now would be as good a time as any to post part 3 as part 2 has tragically turned into a massive flame war.  There are plenty of points with merit (the ones that are on topic) to be seen there though, so I'd advise reading parts 1 and 2 before starting on this.

So after Gencon was over I started thinking over what I would do differently with the deck if I was to do it again and if I had an unlimited card pool.  Thing was, there's only so much you can do with the deck, it has some fairly strict rules:

1.  World racer has to be your primary victory condition.  It can switch fairly well, but if you're main goal is aggro and you run up against another aggro deck, you'll probably lose.

2.  It needs to stay as close to 41 as possible.  Your card draw sucks, so to make sure you see everything you need to, you need to maximize your chances.

3. This one is obvious, but your player card is very restrictive.

So I'm just gonna go down type by type and say how I would do this/what changes to make:

Player cards:

1x Roxas

No change obviously.

Equipment cards:

2x Oathkeeper

1x Oblivion

Goes up to 2 Oathkeepers in response to assumed equipment hate.

World cards:

3x Twilight town

2x Disney castle

2x Monstro

2x TImeless river

Big changes here, twilight goes up to 3, I add another disney castle and nix the coliseums.  I kept finding myself wanting more level 3 worlds and since you actually want to be fighting dark cards (assuming you still have oathkeeper out) there's really no downside.  I also kept wanting another Disney Castle, I would consider going up to 3, but then you might get the double castle draw, which is no fun.  An extra Timeless river could be good too, but I think 2 is probably just right.

Attack cards:

1x Ultima weapon

1x Oblivion

I alluded to this change in the original decklist.  While I didn't have divine rose, it was only ran because an Ultima Weapon wasn't available.

Dark cards:

2x Stealth sneak

2x Gargoyle

3x Cave of wonders Guardian

2x Pete

Again this is just an overhaul of what I'd run given a better card pool.  I think the 2/2 split of stealth sneak and gargoyle is right as they both good in different ways.  CoWG is probably the best dark card.  And as I said before, I think pete is real good.

Event cards:

Yea, I cut it, made me sad too :(

Friend cards:

3x Samurai

3x Olette

3x Rai

3x vivi

2x Fuu

2x Hayner

1x Pence

Friends just received an overhaul based on use.  They're actually listed in order of value there (though you could argue hayner is above Fuu).  Hayner went up to 2 in response to possible equipment hate.

So there it is, right at 41 cards.  To be honest I would not advise playing the deck in a tournament as it's probably not the best choice if people are expecting it.  It is fun though, so if you were going to run a Roxas deck, I'd say it should be this one.  The big strengths of the deck are some very high raw attack numbers on Roxas (up to 15).  The ability to drop any of your friends the turn you draw them.  The ability to switch pretty well. And of course, the value you get by flipping over Roxas and your opponent writing you off.

I hope you enjoyed this series.  i've got a couple decks working on that I think are power that I will be posting once I do a little more testing/refinement on them.  So uh, until that day.

Highjack said:

So I figured now would be as good a time as any to post part 3 as part 2 has tragically turned into a massive flame war.  There are plenty of points with merit (the ones that are on topic) to be seen there though, so I'd advise reading parts 1 and 2 before starting on this.

So after Gencon was over I started thinking over what I would do differently with the deck if I was to do it again and if I had an unlimited card pool.  Thing was, there's only so much you can do with the deck, it has some fairly strict rules:

1.  World racer has to be your primary victory condition.  It can switch fairly well, but if you're main goal is aggro and you run up against another aggro deck, you'll probably lose.

2.  It needs to stay as close to 41 as possible.  Your card draw sucks, so to make sure you see everything you need to, you need to maximize your chances.

3. This one is obvious, but your player card is very restrictive.

So I'm just gonna go down type by type and say how I would do this/what changes to make:

Player cards:

1x Roxas

No change obviously.

Equipment cards:

2x Oathkeeper

1x Oblivion

Goes up to 2 Oathkeepers in response to assumed equipment hate.

World cards:

3x Twilight town

2x Disney castle

2x Monstro

2x TImeless river

Big changes here, twilight goes up to 3, I add another disney castle and nix the coliseums.  I kept finding myself wanting more level 3 worlds and since you actually want to be fighting dark cards (assuming you still have oathkeeper out) there's really no downside.  I also kept wanting another Disney Castle, I would consider going up to 3, but then you might get the double castle draw, which is no fun.  An extra Timeless river could be good too, but I think 2 is probably just right.

Attack cards:

1x Ultima weapon

1x Oblivion

I alluded to this change in the original decklist.  While I didn't have divine rose, it was only ran because an Ultima Weapon wasn't available.

Dark cards:

2x Stealth sneak

2x Gargoyle

3x Cave of wonders Guardian

2x Pete

Again this is just an overhaul of what I'd run given a better card pool.  I think the 2/2 split of stealth sneak and gargoyle is right as they both good in different ways.  CoWG is probably the best dark card.  And as I said before, I think pete is real good.

Event cards:

Yea, I cut it, made me sad too :(

Friend cards:

3x Samurai

3x Olette

3x Rai

3x vivi

2x Fuu

2x Hayner

1x Pence

Friends just received an overhaul based on use.  They're actually listed in order of value there (though you could argue hayner is above Fuu).  Hayner went up to 2 in response to possible equipment hate.

So there it is, right at 41 cards.  To be honest I would not advise playing the deck in a tournament as it's probably not the best choice if people are expecting it.  It is fun though, so if you were going to run a Roxas deck, I'd say it should be this one.  The big strengths of the deck are some very high raw attack numbers on Roxas (up to 15).  The ability to drop any of your friends the turn you draw them.  The ability to switch pretty well. And of course, the value you get by flipping over Roxas and your opponent writing you off.

I hope you enjoyed this series.  i've got a couple decks working on that I think are power that I will be posting once I do a little more testing/refinement on them.  So uh, until that day.

Very well constructed, but I have some cards you should consider that might run a little better for you in the long run

Olympus Coliseum lvl 3 - You're not playing Magic or Magic/Friends so it's basically a lvl 3 with no draw backs to you and a limit 3 dark cards.

Oathkeeper (ATK) - You can only use one but that's a +5 support and a +2 HP.

other than that, it's about as good as it will get for now.

I definitely have to say that this is hands down the best Roxas deck I've seen.

I have to be hoenst though, I'm not sure about the Gargoyles.  While they are good for a Light deck running Phil, I'm not sure how well they'd do in a deck that doesn't restrcit Magic.  More than likely an aggro isn't gonna get that high in worlds and most WR decks nowadays run some form of magic or the good ol' Beast/Herc/Jack combo....maybe some Cerberus would be better?

I look forward to seeing some more of your deck ideas sir.

Light decks run magic?  Really?  And Jack?  I just don't get it.  Magic gets nerfed by probably at least half the decks out there (go phil!), and if they run Jack, it just allows dropping of big dark cards earlier.  Beast and Herc have also dropped significantly in effectiveness with the appearance of villains.  So, unless you are holding a jack to prevent them from dropping their darks, and then you drop him to kill a gargoyle/sneak, the other player gets to abuse your jack.

And my comment about magic is a bit unjustified.  I'm sure some of them do run magic.  But he'll be a bigger pain in the ass for the ones that don't than a sneak will, and I think that's where the 2/2 comes from.

Also, Cerberus or Behemoth should be in every deck running the CoWG, as it either requires a board wipe with the behemoth, or requires they commit 3 friends to it with the cerberus (combos particularly well with Monstro lvl 1...)

Olympus coliseum is a solid enough idea, but it's not better than twilight town in this deck, you could do a 2/2 if you felt that was worth your while. Oathkepper (atk) while seemingly cool is entirely not needed.  You shouldn't ever need attack cards to kill the dark cards and the HP bonus you already get is more than enough.  It's kind of a win more.  Fairbanks summed up my feelings on gargoyle, if you wanted to cut em for a stealth sneak and some cerberus action that works.  I could see running more cerberus in general, it makes perfect sense, I'm just not sure it's necessary, CoWG does everything I want it to with the dark cards already in there.  The dark cards are really all just preference.

so you play this deck and hope your oppoenent doesnt play stealth sneak and crush you?  i really hope roxas either gets a way to deal with the sneak or a card that lets him take more then one hp away.  that fact is the only thing stopping him from being really good

stealth sneak is only relevant if they go through their deck fast enough to see them consistently.  The proper play is to just run away as soon as they play stealth sneak, this came up a few times during the tournament and only against Fairbanks did it matter.

Swordsman_Joe said:

so you play this deck and hope your oppoenent doesnt play stealth sneak and crush you?  i really hope roxas either gets a way to deal with the sneak or a card that lets him take more then one hp away.  that fact is the only thing stopping him from being really good

There's a rulebook effect, called "escape."

thanx o could you email or pm me a full deck list ive been looking for a roxas deck o and could you possibly try working on a haloween town  deck id like to see on but im deffintly going to give this a try cerberos poor cloud now they need one for sepiroth