DScipio

Custom card/ship yard: Star Trek (Armada)

3 hours ago, NebulonB said:

I am sure you are already planning a visually stunning vasall adaptation ?

I already lead the creation of the Vassal 40k Mod and know how much work and pain that is. ^_^

One change I think that Star Trek Armada should do is instead of having a speed 0-4 dial they should have an Engines dial in 1/4 increments {Reverse, Stop, 1/4 Impulse, 1/2 Impulse, 3/4 Impulse, Full Impulse}. This will make room for a greater variety in ship movement profiles. Sure the bigger sluggish ships will still be lumbering, but in this way you can better represent that as a ship could have great turning ability but only at 1/4 impulse, and it takes pressing the engines to get it up to speed.

Edited by Marinealver

2 hours ago, Marinealver said:

One change I think that Star Trek Armada should do is instead of having a speed 0-4 dial they should have an Engines dial in 1/4 increments {Reverse, Stop, 1/4 Impulse, 1/2 Impulse, 3/4 Impulse, Full Impulse}. This will make room for a greater variety in ship movement profiles. Sure the bigger sluggish ships will still be lumbering, but in this way you can better represent that as a ship could have great turning ability but only at 1/4 impulse, and it takes pressing the engines to get it up to speed.

Interesting idea.

How exactlly do you imagine the rules for that?

On 2/7/2019 at 2:03 PM, DScipio said:

Interesting idea.

How exactlly do you imagine the rules for that?

So the row that tells the speed, replace with impulse power. 

Each step up is the distance traveled or speed and then you have a yaw value for each step just like armada. You will only need maybe one more column for reverse that is if you don't just put it in the top left corner.

So this is a little sideways because it is text but something would be like this for 2 different ships .( 0 not in speed, - no yaw, I 1 click, II 2 clicks)

Excelsior Class

• R   :  I , - , 0 , 0
  1. 1/4 : II , - , 0 , 0
  2. 1/2 : I , I , 0 , 0 
  3. 3/4 : - , I , I , 0
  4. Full: - , - , - , I

Vorcha Class

• R :  I , 0 , 0 , 0
  1. 1/4 : II , 0 , 0 , 0
  3. 3/4 : I , I , 0 , 0
  4. Full: - , - , I , 0

Now Star Trek ships are a little more maneuverable that Star Wars ships especially with the reverse moves. For the Excelsior ship as you see 1/4 impulse power and 1/2 impulse power have the same speed of 2. The difference is that at 1/4 power it has 2 yaws early on making for tighter turns than at 1/2 which has single yaw in both 1st and 2nd step. Now we go to the Klingon Vorcha class which is a little more ponderous than the Federation cruiser. Notice that 1/2 and 3/4 power has the exact same values. This makes the Klingon Cruiser more sluggish in that in needs to decide if it wants to go at a slower speed or a faster speed much further in advance than say your excelsior. The only reason to stay in 3/4 power over 1/2 is if the Captain of the Vorcha has reason to believe he might need to jump to full power to reach the top speed of the cruiser. If the Captain was as dumb as a Targ and guessed wrong he will be stuck in the same movement pattern as he has to drop down to 1/2 power before he can drop down to 1/4 power and a speed of 1.

Edited by Marinealver

6 hours ago, Marinealver said:

So the row that tells the speed, replace with impulse power. 

Each step up is the distance traveled or speed and then you have a yaw value for each step just like armada. You will only need maybe one more column for reverse that is if you don't just put it in the top left corner.

So this is a little sideways because it is text but something would be like this for 2 different ships .( 0 not in speed, - no yaw, I 1 click, II 2 clicks)

Excelsior Class

• R   :  I , - , 0 , 0
  1. 1/4 : II , - , 0 , 0
  3. 3/4 : - , I , I , 0
  4. Full: - , - , - , I

Vorcha Class

• R :  I , 0 , 0 , 0
  1. 1/4 : II , 0 , 0 , 0
  3. 3/4 : I , I , 0 , 0
  4. Full: - , - , I , 0

Now Star Trek ships are a little more maneuverable that Star Wars ships especially with the reverse moves. For the Excelsior ship as you see 1/4 impulse power and 1/2 impulse power have the same speed of 2. The difference is that at 1/4 power it has 2 yaws early on making for tighter turns than at 1/2 which has single yaw in both 1st and 2nd step. Now we go to the Klingon Vorcha class which is a little more ponderous than the Federation cruiser. Notice that 1/2 and 3/4 power has the exact same values. This makes the Klingon Cruiser more sluggish in that in needs to decide if it wants to go at a slower speed or a faster speed much further in advance than say your excelsior. The only reason to stay in 3/4 power over 1/2 is if the Captain of the Vorcha has reason to believe he might need to jump to full power to reach the top speed of the cruiser. If the Captain was as dumb as a Targ and guessed wrong he will be stuck in the same movement pattern as he has to drop down to 1/2 power before he can drop down to 1/4 power and a speed of 1.

That are very interesting ideas.

Anyone ideas which ships should get the "Salvo" defense toke?

Borg for their huge ships?
Klingons/Jem`´´' Hadar for their will to fight to the death? Klingon got a lot of contain tokens so far because of that (and the resiliance of their not very refined ships)?

Here is a Federation way of obtaining a salvo defense token, I thought Paul Rice is the best choice as he "invetend" a new fourth solution to a acadamy test and is described as a agressive officer and Worf seemed to be a logical choice as well.

10240h.jpg?cache=156579077710241h.jpg?cache=1565791822