Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Emirikol

Which Careers do you think will make it in? (if there's only 40)?

23 posts in this topic

Which Careers do you think will make it in? (if there's only 40)?

Do you think they'll bring back the Bawd? ;)

jh

Here is a list of careers I think (or hope) will make it to the new edtion:

1. Wizard (Confirmed)

2. Priest (Confirmed)

3. Coachman (Confirmed)

4. Envoy (Confirmed)

5. Outlaw (I hope they will have this one)

6. Kithband Warrior (or a cool archer of some type)

7. Mercenary (those greedy fools gran_risa.gif)

8. Noble (One of my players likes to play rich characters)

9. Norse Beserker (I wish... but it's doubtful)

10. Sheild Breaker (or iron breaker)

11. Thief

12. Troll Slayer (confirmed)

13. Vagabond

14. Watchmen (I like to use these guys as npcs so it would be good to have a career)

15. Hunter

16. Hedge Wizard

17. Burgher (You always need more shopkeepers)

Advanced careers:

18. Assassin

19. Charlatin

20. Courtier

21. Crime Lord

22. Engineer

23. Highwaymen

24. Spy

25.Witch Hunter

26-40 Anything else I guess...

The careers may not work quite like we're used to. You'll see on the character sheet that there's a space for Current Career and then Career Rank. This sounds like it's borrowing ideas from Dark Heresy, when each Career Path is divided into a series of ranks (a.k.a. levels).

So V3's Troll Slayer might have enough ranks within it that make it the equivalent of V2's Troll Slayer+Giant Slayer. If that's true, then 40 careers might be enough to cover the number of careers that we're used to in earlier editions.

Also, having the Rat Catcher in a supplement is weird -- but there might be a good strategy behind it. If the core game includes middle-powered careers (Troll Slayer, Priest, Wizard), expansions might be where we get the extreme lows (Beggar, Rat Catcher) and extreme highs (Daemon Slayer, Battle Wizard). This makes some sense to me because not everybody picking up this game for the first time will be interested in the dregs or the superheroes. As long as you include a nice cross-section, you can explore the fringes later. But I'm only guessing.

That will probably be an iron breaker, but pronounced with the F from Dwarf slurred into the word. 'Dwarffffirnbreaker'.

Lol, people complained about naked dwarf syndrome in previous editions. Ironbreakers are equipped AS STANDARD with GROMRIL full plate armour.

Hellebore

Jacques el arcabucero said:

40 Careers? sorpresa.gif
Where are the 60 other professions which are in my older collection WH1 & 2?
Ah!... in further supplements... ok.

Some may have been 'condensed' into one career. For example, there wasn't really a need for seperate Soldier, Mercenary, Militia and Marine careers. They could all be grouped together under one Soldier career.

I hope we'll have roadwarden, protagonist and pit fighter careers too, and witch or warlcok for NPCs. Kislevite kosar, norse berserker are unlikely, since the core books are focusing on the Empire.

Hope to see some knights . . .

Knights of the White Wolf

Knights of the Blazing Sun

Knights Panther

Any or all of these would be great.

I suspect we will get a generic knight career class . . .

Free Lance

Hedge Knight

Always enjoy playing a knight as a character!

macd21 said:

Some may have been 'condensed' into one career. For example, there wasn't really a need for seperate Soldier, Mercenary, Militia and Marine careers. They could all be grouped together under one Soldier career.

I actually disgree with that idea, I like similar Careers seperated because I see Careers as more than just blocks of Advances. I feel that different Careers encourage different types of roleplay, I would expect a Militiaman to be reasonably different to a Marine despite having very similar advances.

Foolishboy said:

macd21 said:

I actually disgree with that idea, I like similar Careers seperated because I see Careers as more than just blocks of Advances. I feel that different Careers encourage different types of roleplay, I would expect a Militiaman to be reasonably different to a Marine despite having very similar advances.

I think this is one of thouse issues that depend on what you want from the game. Essentially the more you are intrerested in 'world-building', the more important lots of detailed separate careers becomes.

WFRP1 and 2 were very focused on that kind of GM, (hence the popularity of Warpstone), but I suspect that WFRP3 will not be.

I'd like to see several name options for the same career.  One of the things I thought was retarded about WFRP2's bestiary was "footpads" and "beggars" being in the bestiary..an obsolete leftover from WFRP1, but they're not listed as being part of the appropriate career description for the players.  If you've got those "words", use them.

jh

Emirikol said:

I'd like to see several name options for the same career.  One of the things I thought was retarded about WFRP2's bestiary was "footpads" and "beggars" being in the bestiary..an obsolete leftover from WFRP1, but they're not listed as being part of the appropriate career description for the players.  If you've got those "words", use them.

I believe it was actually intended to show how thouse WFRP1 roles still existed but had been folded into other careers.

Surely :)    I just think they missed the opportunity to allow more variance between careers using simple language, whereas for the bestiary the same could have been done.  NBD of course, but I just thought it was odd while I was doing up my game tokens for play on Maptool.  Why footpad?  WHy not just call it a thief and then in the text, note "footpads, thieves, second-storey-men, etc."

jh

I hope Witchhunter, Knigt of the Blazing Sun, and Knight of the Inner Circle, etc. make it in.  I also hope to finally see the elven White Lion make it into the game.

The problem I see with 40 careers is that we have 4 very different starting races. They all have some unique careers that will not bend to other races. Slayers, wardancers etc. So if they intend to include any of the unique careers, and by pictures of Slayers i believe they do, this will narrow done the more generic careers even more.

This will propably mean that we will get careers bundled up, and we still will have very few of them. Which means that to get the 3rd ed mechanic actually work good, you need to buy at least the adventure kit with more careers (and unique action cards as said in the video.. *sigh*) and still be far behind the versatility of 2nd or 1st ed.

Question remains if they intend to hold on to advanced careers. If they do the careers might be even more narrowed down.

When we count Adventurers kit into, I'm pretty sure we have most of the careers from the MMO: ironbreaker, slayer, engineer, witch hunter, knight of the blazing sun, warrior priest, wizard, swordmaster, shadow warrior

I suspect the new careers will be:

• Apprentice Mead Brewer
  • Witch Hunter's Costumier
  • Seamstress
  • Ringmaster
  • Daemonographer
  • Sewerage Technician
  • Bum Bandit
  • Dominatrix
  • Bridge Designer
  • Ox Rustler
  • Cathayan Chef