Sign in to follow this  
Gizlivadi

What faction is there left?

My question is, what faction or trait is there left in the lore for the game to explore? If we consider that we'll get Noldor, Ent and Rohan development in the near future, will we have another trait focus deluxe expansion and stuff? What do you think?

I think they could flesh out the Dale trait some more, and maybe the Woodmen of Wilderland. Also, they could do the Lossoth in Forochel if they really run out of ideas. Maybe some Easterling stuff, since we know from Dorwinion that not all the people of the east were "evil." And we NEED Thranduil for Silvan.

This is a very interesting question. I am kind of rusty on the books and most of my memory on the lore derives from the Peter Jackson movies. Thus I can not answer this question sufficiently, although I am sure others will. What I don't want to see in the future however is FFG start coming up with its own heroes and allies when the roster pool runs thin. This will put me off. As far as the factions are concerned, I can't think of any interesting addition.

Also I wonder if they will ever touch on Silmarilion lore, although card from that book would not be on the same timeline as those of the current game. Plus they would be op..

Edited by dimile

I'd love to see some Wose player cards. Maybe a few more Beornings and Woodmen. And I definitely want a Deluxe box set in Dale, maybe with a new Dain hero.

They could probably stand to do a second pass on some of the traits, too. Mirkwood Silvans, South Gondor, etc.

This is a very interesting question. I am kind of rusty on the books and most of my memory on the lore derives from the Peter Jackson movies. Thus I can not answer this question sufficiently, although I am sure others will. What I don't want to see in the future however is FFG start coming up with its own heroes and allies when the roster pool runs thin. This will put me off. As far as the factions are concerned, I can't think of any interesting addition.

Also I wonder if they will ever touch on Silmarilion lore, although card from that book would not be on the same timeline as those of the current game. Plus they would be op..

They can't touch Silmarillion unfortunately.  No one has the rights to that and probably won't until it goes public domain.  The only Silmarillion references allowed are those published in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books.  They could invent and embellish, but I'm not sure if that would be too divisive for the community.

I would be interested in some profession traits, Like Seafarers or Sailors from Gondor and Grey Havens. Merchants of Bree, Tharbad, Isengard, Gondor. Minstrels of elves, hobbits, men - how importat are songs in Middle-Earth world! 

Craftsmen, Ringmakers, Weaponmakers, Bakers - in a way there could be ways of introducing new rpg-ish elements to new kinds of quests (some kind of crafting, seabattles, festivals with songs). Also minor wizardry, lesser wisemen, not istari, dabbling into supernatural. 

Dale + Laketown + their trade connection to the East (with an Easterling hero) would be just great. 

Dol Amroth and Edhellond and their connection to Lothlorien, Amroth and Nimrodel is thematically my favourite places - by which I mean a non battle focused Silvan approach could be interesting. But first lets see what will happen to the Noldor trait.

The Blue Wizards and their cults!

This is my strongest wish.

It would be epic. Near the end of his life Tolkien said that the Blue Wizards worked against the forces of Sauron in the east, ultimately aiding in the Free Peoples victory. A change from an earlier version of their backstory that had painted them as failures & cult leaders.

It would be epic. Near the end of his life Tolkien said that the Blue Wizards worked against the forces of Sauron in the east, ultimately aiding in the Free Peoples victory. A change from an earlier version of their backstory that had painted them as failures & cult leaders.

I have an idea that the Blue Wizards are not covered in the licensing for TLOTR copyright material - because the source is not the text of TLOTR itself but Unfinished Tales - I think that the old MECCG needed a special dispensation to include them. This would/could mean that FFG couldn't use them.

I may have imagined this or got it wrong though...

So bearing in mind that there is pretty much an unlimited supply (imagination-wise) of adventures, quests, items, spells, events, un-named basic allies... the only bottle-neck in future expansions could be heroes and/or named allies.

So would people at that stage generally preffer the game to halt, or simply no additional heroes in expansions, or recycled existing heroes with new abilities, or made-up heroes? Im curious to know.

Would you even preffer a world-flip where they release a deluxe with new enemy heroes with new spheres, allies etc against encounter decks of hobbits and men, with scenarios like catch the hobbits before they get to the ford of rivindell? Heroes like the witch king, golumn, nazgul, grishnak etc (if this actually happens can I get a credit on the box please Mr ffg, pm me for full name :) )

Edited by alexbobspoons

Man, you don't have to worry about tolkien running thing.  If they made 100 aps and 15 deluxe they would have just scraped the surface of all that tolkien wrote, even if they are just using lotr and hobbit. 

Man, you don't have to worry about tolkien running thing.  If they made 100 aps and 15 deluxe they would have just scraped the surface of all that tolkien wrote, even if they are just using lotr and hobbit. 

I don't think this is true: how many significant (and indeed not very significant) named characters from TLOTR/The Hobbit have yet to feature in the card game? Answer: almost none.

Blue Wizards ftw!

Moreover I would like Wose allies, Dunlending allies and more Isengard. Rangers could use a bit more of boost, Gondor that is. I feel that the trap mechanic just ain't there yet, but maybe the upcoming APs will still fix that. 

Dwarves from the Blue Mountains could form a subtrait. Dwarves from the East (again, we need a Blue Wizards thing for that, maybe FFG should do a crowdfunding to buy the license or a petition (lol) to send to Christopher) could still form something.

Also, we have barely scratched Harad, Rhûn and Umbar. Up in the North, north of Erebor, north of Gundabad. Mirkwood Elves of course. Marines from Gondor. The Beorning trait is nothing yet, Woodsman and Esgorath alike.

And above all, the Creature trait. WARG ALLY   :ph34r: . I love LOTR fauna.

So bearing in mind that there is pretty much an unlimited supply (imagination-wise) of adventures, quests, items, spells, events, un-named basic allies... the only bottle-neck in future expansions could be heroes and/or named allies.

So would people at that stage generally preffer the game to halt, or simply no additional heroes in expansions, or recycled existing heroes with new abilities, or made-up heroes? Im curious to know.

Would you even preffer a world-flip where they release a deluxe with new enemy heroes with new spheres, allies etc against encounter decks of hobbits and men, with scenarios like catch the hobbits before they get to the ford of rivindell? Heroes like the witch king, golumn, nazgul, grishnak etc (if this actually happens can I get a credit on the box please Mr ffg, pm me for full name :) )

I think you're right that the heroes present the biggest hurdle for expansions going forwards.  Personally, I like the idea of non-cannon heroes.  Seems like the possible problem is how to balance them to be good enough to have people use them, but not outshine the cannon (Aragorn, Frodo, Boromir, etc) heroes.  I'm more into that than having each hero have a version for each sphere.  The world flip is also an interesting idea, but would be a pretty big change!

It's a matter of time until we get all sphere versions of the main cast and possibly everyone esle too. FFG has managed to pull a 15 ( I think) year run out of Game of Thrones LCG. I hope they can do the same here.

It's a matter of time until we get all sphere versions of the main cast and possibly everyone esle too. FFG has managed to pull a 15 ( I think) year run out of Game of Thrones LCG. I hope they can do the same here.

For sure. FFG mentioned recently that LOTR LCG is an extremely well-selling product. AGOT has had multiple versions of certain characters for a long, long time, and it works well. I can see a case for not only different-sphere versions of LOTR heroes, but also different versions of them within the same sphere. I also like that certain characters have appeared as both allies and heroes; that forces some interesting deck-building decisions and considerations for multiplayer games. 

Given Caleb's, Matt's, Nate's, Christian's, and others' knowledge of the LOTR universe, there is a tremendous depth and breadth to the potential content that we can and will see from the game. 

I hope we get to see Alatar and Pallando. The game would feel so incomplete without them. I really hope they get the rights. But then again, no one has had access to that content since Meccg, and it does make sense not to have them considering they were mostly forgotten by the peoples of Middle Earth except for the other wizards.

I have an idea that the Blue Wizards are not covered in the licensing for TLOTR copyright material - because the source is not the text of TLOTR itself but Unfinished Tales - I think that the old MECCG needed a special dispensation to include them. This would/could mean that FFG couldn't use them.

I may have imagined this or got it wrong though...

This is correct. MECCG (Iron Crown Enterprises) got special permission to include the Blue Wizards. FFG could theoretically do the same, but MECCG existed in the pre-movie era and the Tolkien Estate is much less willing to give such permission in the post-movie era, when they have become very reluctant to give out any rights at all.

Edited by Raven1015

Regarding the original question, I think that Northmen (Dale, Beornings) are the biggest unexplored faction.  As a whole I believe that all of the factions can still be explored further.

I would love, in time, to explore the coast and have seafaring quests, but I haven't thought about it deeply and am not sure how well it would work.  I don't want there to be the weird situations that I hear of in Warhammer: Conquest where a spaceship is attacking some guy on the ground. etc...