Sign in to follow this  
Radarman5

Any advice for running our first Campaign?

So far we've only played a few Skirmish matches, and now we're going to start the campaign. It's a 2 player campaign but the rebel player will be running 4 heroes. Any advice is appreciated. Here's our set up:

Imperial Class Cards:

Subversive Tactics

Agenda Deck:

Agents of the Empire

Crimson Empire

For the Right Price

Imperial industry

Lord Vader's Command

Retaliation

Side Mission Deck:

Armed and Operational

Homecoming

Target of Opportunity

The Spice Job

A Simple Task

Imperial Entanglements

Luxury Cruise

Viper's Den

Heroes:

Gaarkhan, Gideon, Jyn, and Diala.

Subversive Tactics: Surgical Strike and No Quarter should be your first priorities.

As the imperial player, it is your job to know the rules back and forth. Even if you think you have a mechanic down, if you have even the inkling of a doubt you should be running to the RRG, because there might be a small rule you're missing.

Common mistake: The Rebel class and item cards refresh when they activate, not at the end of the round like the Imp cards. This makes the application of your own cards a little different than you might expect, so keep an eye on it.

Stun and Bleed are your best friends. Each action the turrorists spend on clearing a condition is one less they can use to achieve their objectives.

Finally, there are a lot of threads on this board with advice for both Rebs and Imps. Poke around a bit and you will find a treasure trove of useful information.

Thanks, this helped. I still missed a couple small but crucial rules, but I'll have them down for the next session at least. It was pretty awesome regardless.

1) In Under Siege we didn't understand that a "healthy hero" just meant one that hadn't had it's card flipped to the wounded side, so wasn't claiming the tokens even though the hero guarding it was severely wounded. I also thought reinforcing a unit worked the same as in Skirmish, so I was adding the new figure adjacent to others in it's group, not the green deployment space. And we thought that you had to be in one of the four square that the token intersected, rather than just controlling the tile/room itself. 

2) In High Moon, I though the Special Setup was meant as special rules that override the standard rules, so I applied it to each round. I was gaining twice the threat at the end of each round starting with the first, rather than starting with a minor threat boost. So I started with 0 threat, and no Optional Deployments added.

I think the way FFG lays out their books, and scatters the rules over 3 books tends to lead to these kind of mistakes. The RPG books have similar issues (my players hate the organization of the EotE CRB). I found this link to a rules summery in another thread here, and it's really well made. It lays everything out in a more logical, procedural order. 

http://www.orderofgamers.com/games/star-wars-imperial-assault/

Re: the three rule books, Once you're past the tutorial mission in the L2P guide, your ONLY use for that badboy should be the handy summaries on the back cover.  Everything else is covered in the RRG.

A read-through of the RRG probably isn't as dry a read as you'd think and if you're playing Imps, it'll definitely do you more good than harm.

Re: the three rule books, Once you're past the tutorial mission in the L2P guide, your ONLY use for that badboy should be the handy summaries on the back cover.  Everything else is covered in the RRG.

A read-through of the RRG probably isn't as dry a read as you'd think and if you're playing Imps, it'll definitely do you more good than harm.

I would say that the campaign rules are pretty handy in the learn to play guide.  It tells you at a simple glance what to do between missions which is pretty handy for new imperial players imo.