Sign in to follow this  
Angryjoeshow

AngryJoe's TableTime - Star Wars: Armada Video!

Hey guys,

I wanted to share my video on Star Wars: Armada with you here!

AngryJoe's TableTime - Star Wars: Armada

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik3jCom0RSc

We had a ton of fun, theres so much depth and potential here my head is spinning.
I gave it a 10/10 and 9/10. Looking forward to more sessions!

And also ask some questions (frequent rookie 1st/2nd time play mistakes) we had from our play session!

1. When can command tokens be spent? Only in command phase?
  2. How are critical hits resolved when the target ship still has shields but not enough shields to block all incoming successful hits? (1 critical hit, 3 normal hits vs. 2 shields)
  3. Accuracy results flip defense tokens and do not effect command tokens? what affects command tokens to be discarded?

4. Players can spend more than one command token in a single round?

5. Only one critical can ever be inflicted past shields per attack? Say 5 crit rolls but only one face up damage card and four facedown if there were no shields?

6. A fleet must have a flagship, does that mean a fleet will always have a commander? Meaning every battle is fought between mod vs Dodoma until more come out?

7. Intention or unintentional ramming does one damage to both attacker and defender, correct?

8. Purpose of, a ship cannot overlap its movement tool when moving if it does, use other side of movement tool?

Hey guys,

We had a ton of fun, theres so much depth and potential here my head is spinning.

And also ask some questions (frequent rookie 1st/2nd time play mistakes) we had from our play session!

• When can command tokens be spent? Only in command phase?

You spend them in the ship phase.

• How are critical hits resolved when the target ship still has shields but not enough shields to block all incoming successful hits? (1 critical hit, 3 normal hits vs. 2 shields)
  • If at least one damage of a critical attack goes to the ships hull, it gets a face up damage card.

Accuracy results flip defense tokens and do not effect command tokens? what affects command tokens to be discarded?

You don't exhaust (flip) the defense token . You just can't use it against this attack.

• Players can spend more than one command token in a single round?

you can spend as many as you have.

• Only one critical can ever be inflicted past shields per attack? Say 5 crit rolls but only one face up damage card and four facedown if there were no shields?

That's correct. No matter how many crit symbols you roll, if you at least have one, the whole attack is critical, which means that the First damage card will be dealt Face up.

• A fleet must have a flagship, does that mean a fleet will always have a commander? Meaning every battle is fought between mod vs Dodoma until more come out?

thats right.

• Intention or unintentional ramming does one damage to both attacker and defender, correct?

yes

• Purpose of, a ship cannot overlap its movement tool when moving if it does, use other side of movement tool?

yes

Edited by FrozenFlesh

2. How are critical hits resolved when the target ship still has shields but not enough shields to block all incoming successful hits? (1 critical hit, 3 normal hits vs. 2 shields)
  3. Accuracy results flip defense tokens and do not effect command tokens? what affects command tokens to be discarded?

5. Only one critical can ever be inflicted past shields per attack? Say 5 crit rolls but only one face up damage card and four facedown if there were no shields?

6. A fleet must have a flagship, does that mean a fleet will always have a commander? Meaning every battle is fought between mod vs Dodoma until more come out?

7. Intention or unintentional ramming does one damage to both attacker and defender, correct?

8. Purpose of, a ship cannot overlap its movement tool when moving if it does, use other side of movement tool?

1. In the ship phase

2. The critical is counted as a damage and a critical 'token'. So you do 4 damage and can spend the critical 'token' on an effect, the standard effect is to flip the first damage card face-up

3. They don't flip them, only prevent them from being used. And no attack does that, however there is a crew card which does (in upcoming expansion I think)

Edit: Not a crew card, but an Ion Battery upgrade: Ion Cannon Batteries

ion-cannon-batteries.png

4. Yes

5. Yep

6. Yes, however: It looks most expansions, bar the fighter ones, will have a new commander.

7. Correct

8. Again, correct

Edited by VikingMaekel

hah! The picture "thumbnail" on that video is my stuff :) I was like "Whoa! Someone has the same mat as me! And they did one Neb B and one Corvette with blue! No way! Oh... that's my picture" :)

Anyways, that was an enjoyable watch!

How did you embed the youtube video so nicely!?

Thanks for the replies to the questions!

And to WWPDSteven I saved your image from here on the forums, and I planned to use it to model my own miniatures after. I hope you were okay with me using it, it was in my opinion the most beautiful way to show my audience what it could look like to grab their eyeballs!

Edited by Angryjoeshow

2. The critical is counted as a damage and a critical 'token'. So you do 4 damage and can spend the critical 'token' on an effect, the standard effect is to flip the first damage card face-up

Im still failing to understand how it interacts with shields. Do criticals go through shields or does the first damage blocked by a shield get to be the critical that your opponent rolled?

Edited by Angryjoeshow

Dude, it's really you! I LOVE the Angry Joe Show! It's awesome to see, that you are also into boardgames!

It's really simple. As long as you roll at least one crit, the whole attack is critical.

That means, when at least one damage of this critical attack goes to the hull, the first damage Card is dealt face up.

If all damage goes to shields, no damage cards are dealt, so there is also no face up card. So critical hits are worthless, as long as the target has enough shields to soak the damage.

Edited by FrozenFlesh

Hey guys,

Great stuff guys. You crack me up and do some of the most honest reviewing we get to see in any venue. Keep up the good work!

Im still failing to understand how it interacts with shields. Do criticals go through shields or does the first damage blocked by a shield get to be the critical that your opponent rolled?

It's like this, the standard critical result is a conditional effect. If any damage is left over after penetrating the shields, it is dealt as damage cards. If that same roll generated any critical faces on any of the attack dice, the first of those damage cards dealt gets to be face-up (and is thusly a critical hit).

So let's say you hit a shield value of 2 with 2 damage and 2 crit results, then you've done a total of 4 damage (because crit facings also count as damage). So 4 damage total - 2 shields = 2 damage cards dealt to the defender, and since 2 of those dice were rolled as crit facings (i.e. at least one die had a crit result) the first of those two damage cards is dealt face-up.

I hope that made some sense.

The Attack Example on page 16 of the rulebook gives a demonstration of this kind of thing in action if you want a more graphical representation of how it works to help you keep it straight in your head (I've reread it a few times myself).

Edited by Deathseed

• How are critical hits resolved when the target ship still has shields but not enough shields to block all incoming successful hits? (1 critical hit, 3 normal hits vs. 2 shields)
  • Accuracy results flip defense tokens and do not effect command tokens? what affects command tokens to be discarded?

• Only one critical can ever be inflicted past shields per attack? Say 5 crit rolls but only one face up damage card and four facedown if there were no shields?

• A fleet must have a flagship, does that mean a fleet will always have a commander? Meaning every battle is fought between mod vs Dodoma until more come out?

• Intention or unintentional ramming does one damage to both attacker and defender, correct?

• Purpose of, a ship cannot overlap its movement tool when moving if it does, use other side of movement tool?

It's like this, the standard critical result is a conditional effect. If any damage is left over after penetrating the shields, it is dealt as damage cards. If that same roll generated any critical faces on any of the attack dice, the first of those damage cards dealt gets to be face-up (and is thusly a critical hit).

So let's say you hit a shield value of 2 with 2 damage and 2 crit results, then you've done a total of 4 damage (because crit facings also count as damage). So 4 damage total - 2 shields = 2 damage cards dealt to the defender, and since 2 of those dice were rolled as crit facings (i.e. at least one die had a crit result) the first of those two damage cards is dealt face-up.

You were able to explain this better than me, with my bad english :P

If you have a ship with 3 shields and you roll 4 hits and a critical. You apply the 3 damage to the shields first, taking them down. Then you apply the critical to the hull, by taking a damage card and flipping it face up and applying it immediately. You then do the last damage to the hull.

If you have a ship with 3 shields and you roll 2 hits and a critical. You apply the hits and critical to the shield. In this case, because the critical did not hit the hull no critical effect is applied.

If you have a ship with 3 shields and you roll 4 hits and a critical (from a black dice) and you are equipped with Assault Concussion Missiles. Under Rules Reference page 2 under Resolve Damage, you can use the Critical effect to trigger the Assault Concussion Missiles critical effect to do damage to the adjacent hull zones. Then apply the last damage to the hull. As a result, because you used the Critical to trigger the Missiles you do not deal and flip up a damage card to the hull.

Hope this clears it up.

Hey guys,

3.Another thing you did wrong is spending defense tokens (when you shot 2nd Joe's Nebulon into the side arc). You can use one token of each type so 2nd Joe could use both evade and brace(halve damage) against that atack (but not 2 evades for example)

8. If your ships is going to leave the playing field after manouver you can try to make that manouver overlpaing the tool (thats the only instance when you are allowed to overlap the tool)

Edited by Microscop

• Accuracy results flip defense tokens and do not effect command tokens? what affects command tokens to be discarded?

You were able to explain this better than me, with my bad english :P

Nah man, you did fine. I was just wordy'er and boldy'er and all technical-like.

Loving the video, I always try and watch the Angry reviews for when I'm curious about different video games to buy.

Hoping the extra Armada publicity will help get more people into the game!

Edited by Texx

The Attack Example on page 16 of the rulebook gives a demonstration of this kind of thing in action if you want a more graphical representation of how it works to help you keep it straight in your head (I've reread it a few times myself).

This is incorrect.  Rules Reference guide pg 4 under "critical effects." 

"The attacker can resolve only one critical effect per attack. 

Edited by DarkTemplars

8. If your ships is going to leave the playing field after manouver you can try to make that manouver overlpaing the tool (thats the only instance when you are allowed to overlap the tool)

Is this correct? I'm not aware of any exception to overlapping the maneuver tool with your ship when you would put your ship off the play area. Actually, when looking this up, I found that it's actually legal to NOT end on the same side of the tool as you started so long as your ship base doesn't overlap the maneuver tool.

Is this correct? I'm not aware of any exception to overlapping the maneuver tool with your ship when you would put your ship off the play area. Actually, when looking this up, I found that it's actually legal to NOT end on the same side of the tool as you started so long as your ship base doesn't overlap the maneuver tool.

I'm almost positive that's wrong. I thought you had to start and end on the same side? And if that's the case, then if the maneuver tool is on either side, you would end up in the same place, wouldn't you? So it doesn't matter what side it's on, except for the ship overlapping it at the end?