Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nasher

What about Tannhäuser's background ?

Recommended Posts

Hello

As a french player, I'm concerned about FFG owning Tannhäuser.

Tannhäuser has a very rich and detailed background but in your upcoming version of the rules, i heard there will be not a single of the background documents that exist in the french version (and maybe the english one, I dunno the english version...)

These documents bring a particular ambience and give the game a different taste. I mean with these pieces of background and informations about the factions' organization, players can create kind of "roleplay" scenarios and campaigns, making Tannhäuser more than just a fighting game.

Depriving this game of his background will turn it into a void nutshell. Please, think about it before releasing your "V2" rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not too sure about FFG droping stories behind characters.

 

But hope they do not. The story lines and backgrounds are very rich and interesting. I hope FFG continues on adding to the rich story line. And keep it interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nasher said:

Hello

As a french player, I'm concerned about FFG owning Tannhäuser.

Tannhäuser has a very rich and detailed background but in your upcoming version of the rules, i heard there will be not a single of the background documents that exist in the french version (and maybe the english one, I dunno the english version...)

These documents bring a particular ambience and give the game a different taste. I mean with these pieces of background and informations about the factions' organization, players can create kind of "roleplay" scenarios and campaigns, making Tannhäuser more than just a fighting game.

Depriving this game of his background will turn it into a void nutshell. Please, think about it before releasing your "V2" rules.

 

I would imagine the reason for no background fluff in the 2nd edition rules is a matter of price: the rules update is going to be a FREE pdf download here at the FFG site, or available in hardcopy for just $5 USD. At that price,  it makes sense to make it just about the rules, and not the background.

 

That's my thought, for what it is worth here on the world wide web...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If FFG will remove detailed background from Tannhauser, this game will "die" for many gamers. Because, as for me, here in Tannhauser universe backstory makes this game much more interesting and one of the main reason why this game is liked by people. It would be great, if FFG could translate all story texts from french site. Those ones are really cool! Hope, FFG understands that and will make everything to attract more gamers to this unique and interesting universe! Just a thought.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Torbal said:

 

I would imagine the reason for no background fluff in the 2nd edition rules is a matter of price: the rules update is going to be a FREE pdf download here at the FFG site, or available in hardcopy for just $5 USD. At that price,  it makes sense to make it just about the rules, and not the background.

 

 

In the original (french) version there are 3 pages about the world's background (Lt Gal Patton's report, Eva Krämer radio report and the scientific speech about Ilirium) and 10 about the characters available in the first box... does it really represent a massive amount of pages which don't help understanding the rules ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad i can't edit my posts...

I've just taken a look to FFG's Novgorod's rules and they miss:

  • Imperial Okrana's Prime Investigator Anatoly Golovko's missive (page 4 in the french manual)
  • Discussion between President Edison and one of his counsellors (page 11 in the french manual)
  • Conversation at Teutonic Sabbath Lodge's Berlin Fortress (page 21 in the french manual)

FFG's version of the main Tannhäuser rulebook is a clone/translation of the french version. Luckily, background elements have been kept !

 

Furthermore, TH's french player community wrote many quality background texts, which are actually available on the original website... what will happen to them ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nasher said:

 

Too bad i can't edit my posts...

I've just taken a look to FFG's Novgorod's rules and they miss:

  • Imperial Okrana's Prime Investigator Anatoly Golovko's missive (page 4 in the french manual)
  • Discussion between President Edison and one of his counsellors (page 11 in the french manual)
  • Conversation at Teutonic Sabbath Lodge's Berlin Fortress (page 21 in the french manual)

FFG's version of the main Tannhäuser rulebook is a clone/translation of the french version. Luckily, background elements have been kept !

 

Furthermore, TH's french player community wrote many quality background texts, which are actually available on the original website... what will happen to them ?

 

 

Dear Nasher,

I didn't even know, that some interesting background is missing from FFG version Novgorod Rulebook (it would be very interesting to read these texts - for I translated the whole FFG Tannhauser Rulebook into russian language, and stories from original Tannhauser after translating were like detective stories, or like a sreenplays to some films!). When I bought it (by the way, I'm from Ukraine) I realized at once, that something is wrong with rulebook - it lacks backstories, but could not ask anyone on TOY forum, for alas, I dont know french language. I can say, that these cuts from original french version - is a big "-" to FFG staff. The Tannhauser story - is the key, which makes you play this intersting game.

I don't even say about texts from TOY site (I was translating them into english by google translator - and should say these ones are really great despite the quality of translation!). As for me, as FFG now has rights to Tannhauser universe these texts should be translated into english and placed on FFG Tannhauser page. I think, it will attract more people to this game's universe.

 

Sergey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sergey said:

I don't even say about texts from TOY site (I was translating them into english by google translator - and should say these ones are really great despite the quality of translation!). As for me, as FFG now has rights to Tannhauser universe these texts should be translated into english and placed on FFG Tannhauser page. I think, it will attract more people to this game's universe.

Hi Sergey and thanks for your answer. Texts you are talking about here are players submissions and TOY allowed them (sometimes after some corrections) to become official (fan)fictions.

That part of the game is going to disappear from what we, french players, have been used to for years as well as - i guess - the Community Board Game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given FFG's limited involvement with the forums here, we as fans could probably post background stuff here ourselves instead of waiting for FFG to get around to it. Or perhaps doing so would convince FFG to get the material translated and made available officially. That would be nice indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nasher said:

If we consider FFG as a profit making structure, we customers should show a massive interest in the game's background if we want them to react.

 

True.

 

I have not seen a whole of of interest or creation of  "TannTales" not nearly as much as the French anyway....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darthvegeta800 said:

It was for the fluff i considered getting into Tannhauser, if that's going to be dropped i fail to see why i'd bother with it... sad.gif

Unofficial fluff exists, even all isn't translated into English and if FFG really doesn't care about the former official fluff, it will reappear on some french TH fan website.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Darthvegeta800 said:

It was for the fluff i considered getting into Tannhauser, if that's going to be dropped i fail to see why i'd bother with it... sad.gif

Because Tannhauser is still a very good tactical board game, that's why. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Also the former owner of the game, Take On You had quite a number of fluff resources which have not been translated by FFG at the moment. Some excellent fiction do exist, written by the fans, but more important, made official by the Take On You team.

Right now FFG has not announced anything concerning Tannhasuer except that they'll publish Daeddalus and the the remaining packs planned by TOY who were hold back due to the sale. After that and the v2 ruylebook nothing is known so maybe they'll create more Tannhauser themed products, who knows gran_risa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...