Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
player1367538

What shall we call each other?

33 posts in this topic

The new edition add confution on who is who. When WFRP2 came it was easy as you had grognards and fan boys. Grognard liked WFRP1 and hated WFRP2 and the fan boys liked WFRP2.

Now you have more combinations. You have those who like all editions, those who like the first and hate the rest, those who like the second and hate the third and so one. I have some suggestions.

Fan Boy: Loves WFRP3 and have little experience with the first and second edition.

Fan Youth: Loves WFRP3 and WFRP2 but have little experience with the first edition.

Fan Man: Loves all WFRP editions.

Grognard: Loves WFRP1 hates the second and third edition.

Grogling: Loves WFRP2 (Either loves or inexperienced with WFRP1) hates the third edition.

Madman: Loves WFRP3 but hates WFRP1 and WFRP2.

Grognard fan man: Loves WFRP1 and WFRP3 and hates WFRP2

Are the names OK? Are anyone insulted? Are there better names? Fan youth don't sound right!

 

Currently I'm a fan man but could be turned into a grogling when I get the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't fit into any category. While I am curious about the unconventional gaming system, I don't care much for the Warhammer fantasy setting, but im considering stomaching it in order to try out this system.

So what should I be called? "Arrogant smugling?" gran_risa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilead te tuin lothain said:

 

Dirach said:

 

 

Currently I'm a fan man but could be turned into a grogling when I get the game.

 

 

 

 

That could well be my classpreocupado.gif

 

 

My case exactly, as well :)

As for how to call each other, I guess there will remain those two classes: grognards and enthousiasts. Grognards will whine over anything new because it's the way of their lives, and enthousiasts - it's vice versa. More detailed categories usually don't live too long.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Varnias Tybalt said:

I don't fit into any category. While I am curious about the unconventional gaming system, I don't care much for the Warhammer fantasy setting, but im considering stomaching it in order to try out this system.

So what should I be called? "Arrogant smugling?" gran_risa.gif

Dammit, man, how could you be ignorant of WFRP??! You're missing a **** lot, I tell you, really!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

egalor said:

 

 

Dammit, man, how could you be ignorant of WFRP??! You're missing a **** lot, I tell you, really!

Im not "ignorant" of it, im just not that attracted to it. Im pretty sick of the fantasy genre in general (as is my gaming group), and regardless of being a Games Workshop creation it just hasn't been enough to want me to get back playing a fantasy RPG. Sure I was mildly interested in the Children of the Horned Rat supplement and perhaps playing a Skaven campaign, but only mildly an not nearly enough for me to want to buy the game.

The time of fantasy being interesting has long since passed for my part. Now im more interested in different science-fiction settings, along with unconventional indie settings and horror settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Varnias Tybalt said:

The time of fantasy being interesting has long since passed for my part. Now im more interested in different science-fiction settings, along with unconventional indie settings and horror settings.

I can partially agree with you, as I would love to see other parts of the Warhammer world explored other that just in and around the Empire.  While I can understand that this is the focus of WFB, the RPG side has never been able to move away IMO from the Old World.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gilead te tuin lothain said:

 

I can partially agree with you, as I would love to see other parts of the Warhammer world explored other that just in and around the Empire.  While I can understand that this is the focus of WFB, the RPG side has never been able to move away IMO from the Old World.

yes, yuo would think given that a great deal of the world army has army books it would be logical to detail every major factions country, but it never seems to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dirach said:

Fan Boy: Loves WFRP3 and have little experience with the first and second edition.

Fan Youth: Loves WFRP3 and WFRP2 but have little experience with the first edition.

Fan Man: Loves all WFRP editions.

Grognard: Loves WFRP1 hates the second and third edition.

Grogling: Loves WFRP2 (Either loves or inexperienced with WFRP1) hates the third edition.

Madman: Loves WFRP3 but hates WFRP1 and WFRP2.

Grognard fan man: Loves WFRP1 and WFRP3 and hates WFRP2

Are the names OK? Are anyone insulted? Are there better names? Fan youth don't sound right!

During the V1 vs. V2 Forum Wars, the Fanboys were those who supported v2 through ad hominem attacks on its critics. Meanwhile, Grognards supported v1 by nitpicking every little flaw in v2 and ignoring the good parts.

People who simply play their edition of choice without fighting are just "edition X fans", IMO. Not to say your classification system is useless, but if you're defining lines of division then I'd like to see the categories fleshed out with favoured discursive tactics.

Since the first gunshots have only just been fired, I think it might be too early to say what kind of Forum War this will shape up to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dang it all.  I'm insulted.

 

I'm a fairy-fan-boy-lobbiest-to-not-like-whatever-edition-I'm-arguing-against-troll (etc., etc.)  ;)

 

Honestly, thanks for poking a little fun at all the crazies here (YOU PEOPLE KNOW IT'S NOT YOU IT'S THE REST OF THE WORLD!)  :)

 

JH

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Emirikol said:

 I'm a fairy-fan-boy-lobbiest-to-not-like-whatever-edition-I'm-arguing-against-troll (etc., etc.)  ;)

 

heh, fairy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a joking post the other day it said Runefang could lead the Board Game Boys against an alliance of the Grogards and the V2 Fanboys, with Judas Little as the biased Moderator. However a Board Game player said no because he didn't like the look of WFRPv3, so that name is out.

I think the terms Grogard (WFRPv1 fan) and Version 2 Fanboys (WFRPv2 fan) have been established for a while.

The name that I have been using in my head for the Pro-WFRPv3 guys has been the Zealots, because when I heard that the game had only 40 Careers I thought the Zealot Career will have gone because the Pro-WFRPv3 guys have stolen all the Zealot Career Cards. Okay the name is not witty or clever but I felt it reflected the way many of the Pro-WFRPv3 guys had been acting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Artaxerxes said:

Well my names Michael but I'd prefer it if you call me Mike tbh

And my name is Master Pain, but from now on I shall be refered to as "Betty"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Wow, too many names and categories.  You're going to need additional reference cards in the box set juto decifer each post.  gui%C3%B1o.gif.

As far as fantasy versus sci-fi goes, I so far have only played fantasy RPGs, but notice that I tend to flip-flop on settings with regard to the Warhammer/Warhammer 40K novels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have no category for those of us who:

 

1) Think 1st edition had some good ideas and some of the game mechanics were good, but which fell down in a number of areas (naked dwarf syndrome, noncombat skill use, nonhuman stats, etcetera).

2) Think 2nd edition was great for revitalizing the game and fixing most of 1st editions mechanical problems

3) Are interested in 3rd edition, but haven't formed an opinion of it either way because we don't know enough about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cynical Cat said:

You have no category for those of us who:

 

1) Think 1st edition had some good ideas and some of the game mechanics were good, but which fell down in a number of areas (naked dwarf syndrome, noncombat skill use, nonhuman stats, etcetera).

2) Think 2nd edition was great for revitalizing the game and fixing most of 1st editions mechanical problems

3) Are interested in 3rd edition, but haven't formed an opinion of it either way because we don't know enough about it.

Ah your in the same broad catagory as me and many others: the neutrals who like everything or at least are open minded to every edition of the game.

Unfortunately the neutrals tend to get attacked by all other groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foolishboy said:

 

 

Ah your in the same broad catagory as me and many others: the neutrals who like everything or at least are open minded to every edition of the game.

Unfortunately the neutrals tend to get attacked by all other groups.

I guess I should consider myself a neutral as well (but with a slightly negative inclination towards the first and second edition since they never caught my interest at all).

But there's no need to worry. Im what you would call: Always outnumbered, never outgunned. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Foolishboy said:

Cynical Cat said:

 

You have no category for those of us who:

 

1) Think 1st edition had some good ideas and some of the game mechanics were good, but which fell down in a number of areas (naked dwarf syndrome, noncombat skill use, nonhuman stats, etcetera).

2) Think 2nd edition was great for revitalizing the game and fixing most of 1st editions mechanical problems

3) Are interested in 3rd edition, but haven't formed an opinion of it either way because we don't know enough about it.

 

 

Ah your in the same broad catagory as me and many others: the neutrals who like everything or at least are open minded to every edition of the game.

Unfortunately the neutrals tend to get attacked by all other groups.

I currently you seems like fan men. You cannot be neutral, you have to choose, and I guess you would fall down on liking WFRP1 rater than disliking it.

I have always seen myself as neutral, always having a balanced view, but who doesn't? I got the feeling that the grognard put the fanboy tag on me during the WFRP1 vs WFRP2 war, but now I want to be a fan man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's make it a bit more obscure:

Dirty Rake: Loves WFRP3 and have little experience with the first and second edition.

Pre-Pubescent Ponderer: Loves WFRP3 and WFRP2 but have little experience with the first edition.

Tubby McTubhausen: Loves all WFRP editions.

Dodo Mounter: Loves WFRP1 hates the second and third edition.

Terracotta Warrior: Loves WFRP2 (Either loves or inexperienced with WFRP1) hates the third edition.

Barnacle Collector: Loves WFRP3 but hates WFRP1 and WFRP2.

Cold Hearted Cobbler: Loves WFRP1 and WFRP3 and hates WFRP2.

Here endeth the lesson.

 

For the record, I'm a Tubby McTubhausen.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ye Ancient One said:

Let's make it a bit more obscure:

Dirty Rake: Loves WFRP3 and have little experience with the first and second edition.

Pre-Pubescent Ponderer: Loves WFRP3 and WFRP2 but have little experience with the first edition.

Tubby McTubhausen: Loves all WFRP editions.

Dodo Mounter: Loves WFRP1 hates the second and third edition.

Terracotta Warrior: Loves WFRP2 (Either loves or inexperienced with WFRP1) hates the third edition.

Barnacle Collector: Loves WFRP3 but hates WFRP1 and WFRP2.

Cold Hearted Cobbler: Loves WFRP1 and WFRP3 and hates WFRP2.

Here endeth the lesson.

 

For the record, I'm a Tubby McTubhausen.

Just a question: How can you love something, that you haven't had in hand or even played? And please don't explain (if you wish to do so) this with some analogy to women!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knight Panther said:

 

 

Just a question: How can you love something, that you haven't had in hand or even played? And please don't explain (if you wish to do so) this with some analogy to women!!

partido_risa.gif

... I guess that with some women one would LOVE TO have a "hand in"... Or preferably something else in. If you catch my meaning? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knight Panther said:

 

Just a question: How can you love something, that you haven't had in hand or even played? And please don't explain (if you wish to do so) this with some analogy to women!!

Perish the thought.

WFRP 3rd edition is like a beautiful dolphin.  First you win its trust by learning its language, every hoot and tongue click memorised and performed to perfection.  Then you take it home to meet your mother.  Then you pose for pictures with it, holding it's fins tenderly.  Then you invest in a diving suit and join it's family in an Easterly migration.  Then you grab it by the tail and let it take you to the palace of Poseidon.  And so on.

That is why I love WFRP 3rd edition - just like the dolphin, it is a intelligent mammal with charming manners and a penchant for following boats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ye Ancient One said:

That is why I love WFRP 3rd edition - just like the dolphin, it is a intelligent mammal with charming manners and a penchant for following boats.

And don't forget that they taste pretty good too when you grind them up together with tunafish! gran_risa.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0