Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lars16

1 player??

201 posts in this topic

Nurgle said:

playing a game alone against a board sounds sad.....one is the lonliest number.....

yes, but two can be as bad as one, it's the lonliest number since the number one.

I like solitarie AH. I don't play 1-investigator, and rarely 2-investigators, simply because it makes it too frantic. I usually play 3 or 4, because it allows more exploration. I keep the game on the table and just take a turn or two at a time here and there during the week. As was stated earlier, a solo AH game is a little like reading a book. The game drips with theme and is full of twists and turns. It is like a tactile, three-dimensional PC game. This is one of very few games that plays as well solitaire as with a group, minus the interaction. But  then, I talk to myself... a lot.

JimmieD said:

Nurgle said:

playing a game alone against a board sounds sad.....one is the lonliest number.....

yes, but two can be as bad as one, it's the lonliest number since the number one.

LOL !

I have played 1 player out of sheer impatience to get group together.  I grew up an only child of a busy single parent, and I played many, many board games that are 2+  player only, actually playing Left Hand vs. Right Hand.  By 5 years of age, my mom bought me an NES, and that was great, but I still enjoyed my solo sessions with Uncle Wiggly or whatever.  So playing Arkham by myself as an adult is much more gratifying than trying to pretend I am really two people. (have you ever played MTG by yourself? its so hard!)

mechangel said:

JimmieD said:

Nurgle said:

LOL !

I have played 1 player out of sheer impatience to get group together.  I grew up an only child of a busy single parent, and I played many, many board games that are 2+  player only, actually playing Left Hand vs. Right Hand.  By 5 years of age, my mom bought me an NES, and that was great, but I still enjoyed my solo sessions with Uncle Wiggly or whatever.  So playing Arkham by myself as an adult is much more gratifying than trying to pretend I am really two people. (have you ever played MTG by yourself? its so hard!)

Actually ::cough cough:: I have...  What I would do is pretend that both players would play with optimal strategy (as opposed to making decisions based on what was in the other's hand).  Arkaham Horror solitaire is considerably more satisfying :'D

I was researching games to get to play at our gaming club and found excellent reviews on AH and after scouring Melbourne for a copy (To No Avail) all the gaming stores had no copies I had wait 2 weeks for stock to come in.

When I finally received it in the post, I looked at the box and found it odd when it said that it was for players 1+.  This really intrigued me as I love playing games Solo (As for years did not have anyone to play them with, while they were fun they just lacked the interaction)

I have played AH about 8 times already (Once with a friend) and I absolutely loved it.

I play with 3 investigators and have beaten the game only once against Hastur and am at the moment have it setup for my 9th game where I think its already going to end badly with only 1hr of play.

I am itching to get the expansions as this is the best game I have ever played and I would love to see more games out there that gives you the 1 player option.

Valentha said:

I was researching games to get to play at our gaming club and found excellent reviews on AH and after scouring Melbourne for a copy (To No Avail) all the gaming stores had no copies I had wait 2 weeks for stock to come in.

When I finally received it in the post, I looked at the box and found it odd when it said that it was for players 1+.  This really intrigued me as I love playing games Solo (As for years did not have anyone to play them with, while they were fun they just lacked the interaction)

I have played AH about 8 times already (Once with a friend) and I absolutely loved it.

I play with 3 investigators and have beaten the game only once against Hastur and am at the moment have it setup for my 9th game where I think its already going to end badly with only 1hr of play.

I am itching to get the expansions as this is the best game I have ever played and I would love to see more games out there that gives you the 1 player option.

Heh...  It's a great game isn't it? :')

I'd recommend you hold off on buying the expansions until you start mastering the base game (you'll know when that is— when you're winning 60-90% of the time).

And of course :') you should also be able to do that with two investigators as opposed to three.

Avi_dreader said:

Valentha said:

I'd recommend you hold off on buying the expansions until you start mastering the base game (you'll know when that is— when you're winning 60-90% of the time).

And of course :') you should also be able to do that with two investigators as opposed to three.

Funnily enough I just finished my latest game and won with the 3 investigators.  I was committed to closing gates and managed to seal 1 but too many gates opened up and filled up Ithaqua's doom track and he awoke.

The investigators I had were:

The Gangster (High Fight Skill and Tommy Gun came in handy)

The Salesman (Seemed to decimate the monster encounters on the board, but rolled pretty badly with the Final Battle)

The Photographer (With Shotgun was able to get successes easier and bring down the GOO alot quicker)

With the high fight skills and the investigators having high stamina levels managed to last it out and finally defeated Ithaqua in the end with losing just the Salesman.  But it was a great game and the quickest I've played.

In any case I'm going to get the first of the card expansions: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and then perhaps with a bit more money Dunwich Horror.

Valentha said:

Avi_dreader said:

Valentha said:

Funnily enough I just finished my latest game and won with the 3 investigators.  I was committed to closing gates and managed to seal 1 but too many gates opened up and filled up Ithaqua's doom track and he awoke.

The Salesman (Seemed to decimate the monster encounters on the board, but rolled pretty badly with the Final Battle)

The Photographer (With Shotgun was able to get successes easier and bring down the GOO alot quicker)

With the high fight skills and the investigators having high stamina levels managed to last it out and finally defeated Ithaqua in the end with losing just the Salesman.  But it was a great game and the quickest I've played.

In any case I'm going to get the first of the card expansions: Curse of the Dark Pharaoh and then perhaps with a bit more money Dunwich Horror.

If money's an issue, I'd probably just get the big box expansions.

Avi_dreader said:

Isn't money the whole point you go for small box, you don't have enough for a big box gui%C3%B1o.gif ?

Dam said:

Avi_dreader said:

Isn't money the whole point you go for small box, you don't have enough for a big box gui%C3%B1o.gif ?

No :'P ;')

Valentha said:

Avi_dreader said:

Valentha said:

If you're going with a small box expansion, I'd suggest The Black Goat of the Woods as it offers more content than CotDP. Even The King if Yellow offers more content. Unless, ofcours, you like the egyptian them of CotDP. But either way, one of the two big box expansion are always better.

Thanks.  Been playing it more the last couple of days and am getting a good hang of the rules and the games are going alot quicker.  Played another game with 3 investigators and won with a Sealed Gates victory which was different as my others had been Kill the GOO victories.

Just bought a house so money is real tight at the moment, I'll probably get Black Goat of the Woods as that appears to be only one available at our Gaming Store in Melbourne.

Also on the Big Box Expansions (Dunwich, Kingsport) do the boards that come with that have to attach to the Arkham board or can they be played seperately?

Valentha said:

Thanks.  Been playing it more the last couple of days and am getting a good hang of the rules and the games are going alot quicker.  Played another game with 3 investigators and won with a Sealed Gates victory which was different as my others had been Kill the GOO victories.

Just bought a house so money is real tight at the moment, I'll probably get Black Goat of the Woods as that appears to be only one available at our Gaming Store in Melbourne.

Also on the Big Box Expansions (Dunwich, Kingsport) do the boards that come with that have to attach to the Arkham board or can they be played seperately?

They are designed to attach.  You could make custom rules and play them separately though, if you really wanted.

Actually I've been of boardgames for a long while and I came back thanks to this game and the possibility of playing alone! In the meanwhile I've gathered the usual suspects for the boardgame comeback! And I found the same pleasure that I had when I was a kid, and another possibility for a good night home having fun with some friends.

It´s great playing alone. When I've played solo I've always played with just  one investigator and it's quite fun and winable.

In terms of play its quite the same except for the other human interaction ! But the challenge maintains. I would say its a great experience playing solo!

Thanks Arkham Horror, Fantasy Flight Games and of course Lovecraft and your strange thoughts.

Its a great game, good fun and always a challenge.

I've played several games of Arkham solo, and I've pretty much played it by the book, incorporating only Richard Launius's House Rules, and the game was a real slow slog through lots of gates and lots of monsters and terror track just kept on going up, up, up.

When I decided to house rule it that I only had a Mythos Phase after 4 movement/encounter phases, the game suddenly went from tedious to awesome. it felt like I was playing an RPG. I recommend those who haven't tried that to test it out. It basically works like you controlling 4 investigators, but without all the micromanagement and I personally like the feeling of only being one investigator. I get to feel that I really am that investigator.

Upkeep

Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 1

Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 2
Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 3
Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 4

Mythos

kookoobah said:

When I decided to house rule it that I only had a Mythos Phase after 4 movement/encounter phases,  

Who have you played this way? If you played Mandy this way, the game would probably be terribly easy.  If you played Dexter or Vincent this way, probably less awesome.  It's essentially like playing a four player game with everybody playing the same investigator.  All investigators are not created equal.

Any idea how many turns (Mythos Phases) it took?

kookoobah said:

I've played several games of Arkham solo, and I've pretty much played it by the book, incorporating only Richard Launius's House Rules, and the game was a real slow slog through lots of gates and lots of monsters and terror track just kept on going up, up, up.

When I decided to house rule it that I only had a Mythos Phase after 4 movement/encounter phases, the game suddenly went from tedious to awesome. it felt like I was playing an RPG. I recommend those who haven't tried that to test it out. It basically works like you controlling 4 investigators, but without all the micromanagement and I personally like the feeling of only being one investigator. I get to feel that I really am that investigator.

Upkeep

Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 1

Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 2
Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 3
Movement - Arkham Encounter - Otherworld Encounter 4

Mythos

You should do it in three turns if you're playing this house rule, and if you're doing just the base set, you should do it in two turns, max.  I've been able to beat the base board a number of times with a solo investigator (granted, it was Mandy) with normal mythos draws.  With *sealing* not combat.  Also, if you're going to play with your method, you should make a combat count as if there are four investigators in the game.

Well you guys are probably right. I'm new to the game, and I'm trying to find that balance between having fun and the game being a challenge. I did this because I once used Mandy to blow up Yig's face in two turns in the final battle. Then after that, I tried having the house rule where the GOO has a minimum of doom track times 4 for hitpoints, and also a massive sanity check at the start, and Mandy lost.

I guess I just don't like the fact that with the normal rules, a gate comes out almost every turn and that gets out of hand really fast for the investigator. But I can see where you are coming from. A team of 4 Mandy's or 4 Joe's would be too awesome.

I've tried once to play three players with only once investigator (meaning all the rules/limits refer to 3 investigators but I only play with one, and there a mythos phase every 3 turns). I don't know, it just seemed too easy. There's a monster blocking my gate? no problem, I can kill it without a second thought, as there's no mythos phase this turn any way, and the turn after I enter the gate.

Is there a good solo version that can be played with 1 investigator and is balanced? (I hate micromanaging so playing with more than one is not an option)

kroen said:

I've tried once to play three players with only once investigator (meaning all the rules/limits refer to 3 investigators but I only play with one, and there a mythos phase every 3 turns). I don't know, it just seemed too easy. There's a monster blocking my gate? no problem, I can kill it without a second thought, as there's no mythos phase this turn any way, and the turn after I enter the gate.

Is there a good solo version that can be played with 1 investigator and is balanced? (I hate micromanaging so playing with more than one is not an option)

Why every third turn?  Why not every second turn?  You might also want to up the monster limit.  Or make a custom rule that when a new gate appears, it must have a monster on it, even if it goes over the monster limit.

Three players=three turns. Two players can't possibliy handle arkham+dunwich.

kroen said:

I do it it all the time, but I randomize the Mythos.  My wife and I played our last three games with one investigator each but a mythos on a 1,2,3 on a six sided die (like a four player game).  We lost 2 out of 3.  We usually win 2 out of 3 with four players.  

One reason your method might  seems too easy is because its predictable. I use dice.  So that the Mythos phase only comes on a 1 or 2.  You can have several in a row or none in row.  I don't think Arkham horror is meant to be predictable.

Another reason is the particular investigator you used might be above average.  Mandy or Darrell would most likely easily win most games under this rule. Try it with Dr. Vincent or Dexter and you'll probably have a different experience.  So if you play with an above average investigator, his or her effectiveness is multiplied.   Try it with a solid average investigator like Jenny or Gloria or Amanda, Miss Average Arkham Girl. I'd never use Mandy, Wendy or Daisy in such a game.

Another reason is that you might not be using a difficult expansion mix--though you mention Dunwich and Arkham which should be a reasonable challenge.

Also you've only tried it once.  That's not much of a test.  How did you win? seals or closing?

Note: All of the limits include: Outskirts limit, monsters on the board, rumors, number of gates needed for a close victory and too many open gates.  Others have skipped the upkeep except on after a Mythos phase, but I haven't found that is necessary.

I don't like the idea of rolling dice for mythos. Well it's possible my problem was just solved- I bought BGotW and intend of playing its herald. If it's still too easy, I will use the cursed difficulty card. If it's still too easy, I'll use the double mythos difficulty card. I doubt that after that it won't be challenging.