Sign in to follow this  
kinnison

LED lights in Engines

I haven't gotten brave enough yet, but I noticed the Big engines on the VSD have some play in them, and it looks feasible to pull them off, drill into the hull, and maybe wire up the engines with a LED diode.

I just don't know if the model is glued together as two parts or how it was constructed.  Seems too light to be solid

Likely be possible with the ISD

Edited by kinnison

I went down the top of the "wingy bit" between the top hull and the top of the tiny sidewall. The sidewall and the bottom hull seemed to be one piece. I was able to slide the knife down the entire section until the very front. Tried to drop a little degluer in there, but it seemed to start melting the plastic, too, so i stopped that. Also tried a little force and sawing action but no real movement. I'm suspecting there may be cylinder style peg and tube attachment points along the ship. Which on one hand will make it difficult to seporate and on the otherhand would hopefuly make it easy to magnet back together. If this is doable, then you can hide your battery right in the hull of the model.

I loved this idea. I've never worked with LEDs before, so this is my first attempt. Let me know what you think.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

i think the way you drilled the ship base, perhaps you have a problem when trying to use a Victory I base and the circuit wires xD

but it looks awesome :D hope people post more photos doing this (^o^)

Edited by Roolakhol

The issue, too, was that I couldn't drill the hole in the back (which would have allowed me to only cut one card), because that was the only location the battery would fit.  So, I had to cut a separate card for the Vic1.

Edited by bbarlowglamdring

I used 3mm lights from PoweredPlay Gaming.  They require a 9v battery, so I purchased one of their "small" 9v batteries.  You can see the battery and wiring in this new pic.  Also, the kit I ordered from PoweredPlay had a switch that I simply glued to the base in the back (which you might be able to see in the original pic).  I've posted some other pics here now to show a bit more detail.

The biggest problem I had was the very limited amount of space inside the model.  I had to remove the two back retaining (non-glued) posts just to get the lights where I wanted them to be.  All in all, it didn't take too long and was a fun project.

post-167370-0-47315900-1429033466_thumb.jpeg

post-167370-0-91295700-1429033647_thumb.jpeg

I used 3mm lights from PoweredPlay Gaming.  They require a 9v battery, so I purchased one of their "small" 9v batteries.  You can see the battery and wiring in this new pic.  Also, the kit I ordered from PoweredPlay had a switch that I simply glued to the base in the back (which you might be able to see in the original pic).  I've posted some other pics here now to show a bit more detail.

The biggest problem I had was the very limited amount of space inside the model.  I had to remove the two back retaining (non-glued) posts just to get the lights where I wanted them to be.  All in all, it didn't take too long and was a fun project.

You like the way the 3mm sit in the engine? Would you go bigger or smaller if you had the chance? I'm looking at lighting the small engines, too.

The 3mm lights are the perfect size for the VSD engines. It's hard to see from the pics, but the LEDs are not protruding from the back of the engine into the cone. There is a gap between the back of the engine cone and the engine housing. I used a small drill to drill from the visible side of the engine cone (there is a perfect circle already there) and out the back of the engine housing (the part hidden inside the model). Then in the opposite direction I used a 3mm drill to go into the housing, but not through the cone. There is a lip around the base of the light (approx 4mm diameter) that I glued to the back of the housing, inserting the light inside the housing but not in the engine cone. The light simply shines through the small hole in the cone. This has the added benefit of leaving the LED bulb completely hidden when the light is off, and no apparent modification is visible on the engines except the small hole in the base of the cone.