Sign in to follow this  
Guest Not In Sample

For those complaining

Mal Reynolds said:

Exactly what was the point with this topic?

Other than hearing from the old 2nd edition die-hard fans? (which by the way was nice, I miss those guys, although I DON`T miss the discussions).

This topic is from back in August, during the Second Age of the Edition War.

Why someone decided to go back about ten pages and reply... is a mystery.

Mal Reynolds said:

Other than hearing from the old 2nd edition die-hard fans? (which by the way was nice, I miss those guys, although I DON`T miss the discussions).

Thanks Mal, its nice to be missed.

Im with you guys, that era of these forums is gone. I see where some of the complaints are for the new edition, I see where some of the praise is (the GM Kit looks kickass). Im still not getting into the game, but I am glad people are having positive experiences with it.

Still wish it never came though. LOL 

Ulairi said:

Militarywizard said:

Whats starting to bite me in the butt is how incomplete the game is. So how many box sets I am going to buy just to see the over all path of the careers. With other RPG you see where you start and where you are going. It like they took the book ripped it into pieces and sayed "we sell this part of the player section 1st then the rest over time MU HA HA HA". Let me give you a more PC term for complaining it called FEEDBACK. Remeber it the players that have to buy this game from FFG and how they make their money. Some players will love what FFG does and some wont but somewhere in the middle is balance. Thats what FFG needs to do. There are things they have done with 3rd I love and things i have hate.

Every RPG sells new content in new books. It isn't 2nd Edition, if you still like that just play that the books are still useable.

I dont play 2nd ed. only have stuff from 1st ed. I've been looking at stuff from 2nd that I could convert over to 3rd at my local game store. I going to wait till their campain set comes out before form a group. I like to see where FFG are really going with 3rd ed. The core box seem very lacking in matter, yes it got the rules needed to play and great looking product, but it seem like it missing the beef. "WHERE THE BEEF",Old lady from Wendy's commercial from the 80's.

Necrozius said:

Ulairi said:

Every RPG sells new content in new books. It isn't 2nd Edition, if you still like that just play that the books are still useable.

The problem is that some people bought this new edition expecting as the same material (spells, careers) as earlier editions.

The core game does NOT have the same number of careers, nor the same number of colleges of magic.

For the price, some people are upset that they still have to buy lots of expansions in order to play the careers in earlier editions, which were available right from the start.

Agree, That is what is missing from the core set. Where are the careers, more spells, equipment....... I starting to feel that I bought a LCC RPG then a RPG. Dont get me wrong I love the warhammer LCC but that not what I wanted in a WFRGP 3d.

Oh... a reunion of old 2:ed fans!

Back from the dead...

Scarred with the empty gray box signaling that 2:ed was deleted from the Favorite Collections option in their profile...

Just a bit annoying that you cant update your FFG collection without selecting a new nr one...

BRAIIIIIINZ...

Necrozius said:

Not really... It's Konrad.

If you've seen some of the other stuff he's been posting around the interwebs, basically trying to stir up crap... I wouldn't read too much into what he has to say.

Now as I have the game  and played two sessions, I do understand a bit more  the views from the 3e die-hard fans. I might have swung and become a die-hard fan myself if it weren`t by the circumstance I was in when the 3rd edition was announced.

you see I was tired of gaming in general and "the thousand thrones" campaing was haltered. I lacked the energy to continue it, we have been playing wfrp for 15 years or so, (except for a few years with D&D and WotC). So at first I didn`t care much about a new edition or so. But as I began to read the newsletters and got the picture, I felt revived in a way. And now I am more eager than ever to play warhammer, and look foreward to any supplement there will be.

But on the other hand, If I was not in that sitaution, like burned out, and we where having a blast playing the 2nd edition campaign, and the group was enthusiastically about it, I might have had a whole other look on the new edition, I might have resented WHFRP 3.

and Now I do better understand the 2e die-hard fans, because I might have been one of them under other circumstances. Let`s face it the game is fare from perfect or as innoative as I expected. it lacks in several areas, and are not a complete roleplaying game, when comparing to other games out there.

But still I am revived and more eager than before to weave stories in the old world, and that is what matters to me.

thanks for listening to a 30 and something-was-burned-out-GM-but-now-feel-like-a-kid-again-when-discovering-rpg-for-the-first-time

Peacekeeper_b said:

Mal Reynolds said:

Thanks Mal, its nice to be missed.

Im with you guys, that era of these forums is gone. I see where some of the complaints are for the new edition, I see where some of the praise is (the GM Kit looks kickass). Im still not getting into the game, but I am glad people are having positive experiences with it.

Still wish it never came though. LOL 

Always good to hear from you Peacekeeper_b. Somehow I always pay attention to what you have to say. Like you have a rare forum charisma, or so. But you make much sense.

Good gaming

WFRP3 is a joke!  I dont like the rulesystem at all. But I do like what I´ve read about the forthcoming The Gathering Storm Campaign so I will convert it to WFRP2.

I´m really looking forward the WFRP4 edition (realese date around 2013). According to the great schemes of Tzeentch, WFRP4 will go back to the WFRP1 roots!

The Purple Hand is still alive!!!gran_risa.gif And they hate silly cards and stance meeters!

froo said:

Necrozius said:

Not really... It's Konrad.

If you've seen some of the other stuff he's been posting around the interwebs, basically trying to stir up crap... I wouldn't read too much into what he has to say.

yes...yes,i can feel your anger. no but really,i know some people that have bought this boxed set,and arent that happy with it. i myself,

wish they would have taken a little more time with it,before its release.gui%C3%B1o.gif

KONRAD said:

yes...yes,i can feel your anger.

Not angry, just pointing out a fact. You write vitriolic crap intended to stir people up. I've seen it here, in the 2nd ed forums before they were shut down, over at STS and other places.

It amuses me to see just how wrong you are and how your tune has consistently changed throughout this "edition war" - I'm curious, have you even played a game?

froo said:

Not angry, just pointing out a fact. You write vitriolic crap intended to stir people up. I've seen it here, in the 2nd ed forums before they were shut down, over at STS and other places.

His comments at StS seem pretty tame to me. I don't recall anything else he might have written elsewhere.

But WFRP3 is not a joke. I think it's a great game. Before it was released, I was very intrigued to see how it all worked. As the designer diaries arrived, I became less interested, maybe even a bit disenchanted, because it seemed overly complicated.

Once it was available to the public, I liked most of what I read from the play reviews and took a risk on purchasing the game. I'm happy to report, after learning how the game actually works and what it contains, that it's a very fine game and one that I'm eager to start playing regularly.

Havent we really lost track of what really matters in a game is the setting, not the rules. Now since the Warhammer Fantasy Battle has now had its time line frozen by GW and is now permanently stuck in the days just after the storm of chaos it is more or less impossible to put out new books for v2 that are compliant with GW's setting, and thrust me they have to so the rewound the clock to pre-SoC, the source material that will come out is still good for the v2 players, sure you will have to do a little fiddling around with the system, but it still works. That things change is what some players gets annoyed about, mostly because we sunk in hundreds of € into the books and now suddenly there is new stuff, but look at it this way, at least the game lives, had it stayed v2 it would have died 2 or 3 books was all it had left in it.

DagobahDave said:

Once it was available to the public, I liked most of what I read from the play reviews and took a risk on purchasing the game. I'm happy to report, after learning how the game actually works and what it contains, that it's a very fine game and one that I'm eager to start playing regularly.

Exactly, once you start playing the game you do see that it is actually a fine example of an RPG.

When I saw the designer diaries, I was intrigued, perhaps a little excited. When the game arrived, I was confused after reading through the rules. I thought I had made a mistake in my purchase... however, after about 20 minutes of running through it I actually got to see that it had loads of potential. After my first session I was hooked..

Now I'm running a campaign with 7 players and its a pretty sweet game with potential for lots of kickass roleplaying. It's truly one of the better games I've played in the last few years and I'm sure it will only get better.

One of my complaints is that I can't get my freakin' players to be reliably available to play twice a month.

Since our gaming sessions rarely exceed three hours, we really don't get much accomplished nor can the immersion really be maintained.

enfadado.gifJUDAS PRIEST BARBERS!!! enfadado.gif

UncleArkie said:

That things change is what some players gets annoyed about, mostly because we sunk in hundreds of € into the books and now suddenly there is new stuff, but look at it this way, at least the game lives, had it stayed v2 it would have died 2 or 3 books was all it had left in it.

Would have liked to have had the option of buying those 2 or 3 books though. And I actually think there was more potential then that left in 2E.

You still had a few good areas to cover. A Non Human guide, a book on Lustria, a real Border Princes book, a second bestiary, a revised core rulebook, compilation books similar to The Career Compendium, wasn't Tome of Thieves about finished when it was cancelled?

Honestly, there was more ground to be covered and think FFG could still make a few extra bucks off WFRP 2E if they sold PDF versions of the 3E supplements with 2E stats in it instead of 3E stats. Charge more than standard for them (like $35 where the 3E PDF version is only $30 or $25) and Im sure the 2E deserters would buy it up.

But its over, its gone. And I accept that. To me its like Avatar. Sure its a bunch of fancy special effects and new technology used in the movie, but why pay money for a story I already know? 

Peacekeeper_b said:

But its over, its gone. And I accept that. To me its like Avatar. Sure its a bunch of fancy special effects and new technology used in the movie, but why pay money for a story I already know? 

...Did you see it?

'Cause I went in expecting to have extremely SORE eyes from all the eye-rolling that I was probably going to do, but instead I really had a freakin' BLAST.

Necrozius said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

...Did you see it?

'Cause I went in expecting to have extremely SORE eyes from all the eye-rolling that I was probably going to do, but instead I really had a freakin' BLAST.

I have a very nice home theater. I don't see many movies in the theater as a result. Most don't live up to the hype and I'm usually perfectly willing for them to be released on Blu-ray. I went into Avatar thinking it was only worth seeing for the tech/3D spectacle. I liked it enough, I actually paid to see it a second time!

Necrozius said:

Peacekeeper_b said:

...Did you see it?

Nope, no intention of seeing it either. Thats part of the price of being a stubborn bastard.

Peacekeeper_b said:

Nope, no intention of seeing it either. Thats part of the price of being a stubborn bastard.

That's too bad: despite the hype, it IS a pretty amazing film. I've never seen CGI  environments that flawless (the technology involved is actually pretty astounding).

</DERAIL>