Sign in to follow this  
cha0s2

CaliCon 2009

CaliCon III - Sept. 12th & 13th 2009

This year is gearing up to be the best CaliCon ever! Over the years CaliCon has evolved from a small gathering of friends/AGoT players to a large scale tournament boasting 20+ players from all over the state including world class talent like 2005 World Champion, John Bruno and local KublaCon legend, Kevin Yin. Both previous years the coveted CaliCon Cup, the first place prize, has been claimed by Mr. Bruno, but with his recent withdrawl from the AGoT scene, this years Cup will be graced with a new champion's name. Will it be yours?

CaliCon is a wonderful event for all levels of players, from beginner to advanced to Kevin (who quite frankly is in a league of his own). We encourage casual, friendly tournament play while offering that competitive edge every card player desires. Come test your skills, learn a trade secret or two and rediscover why this is "The Only Game that Matters."

This tournament will be split into 2 Championship Events over the weekend of Saturday the 12th and Sunday the 13th of September. The first day (Sat.) will be the Joust Championship (see below) and is scheduled to be held at Black Diamond Games in Concord, CA. Here is the info for the store:

1950 Market Street
Suite E
Concord, CA 94520
925-681-0600

The second day will be the Melee Championship (see below) and will be held at Cha0s' home in Brentwood, CA. Here is the info for my house:

2524 Albertine Lane
Brentwood, CA 94513
925-301-5329

* Please note this split location is tentative and if needed can be altered if logistics become too difficult. Please post concerns as soon as possible. Also please note that I have 2 spare rooms available on a first come first serve basis, as well as two couches and an air mattress...and plenty of floor space if you want to rough-it.

Here are all the specs you will need to know about this event:

CaliCon Joust Championship

Compete head-to-head in the ultimate showdown of the Joust Championship on Sunday, September 12th, at 11:00 AM.(Registration begins at 10:00 AM, please report to the TO early if you are planning on participating in this tournament, as any player not registered once the tournament has begun will not be able to compete in the event.) Players will compete against each other head-to-head, through several preliminary Swiss rounds (depending on attendance), cutting to a single-elimination top four. The final four will play off against each other until only one player remains. This player will be crowned the A Game of Thrones LCG CaliCon Joust Champion.

The Joust Champion, in addition to other prizes, will get his/her name engraved on the CaliCon Cup trophy.

The Joust Championship Deckbuilding Rules: Your House deck must be at least sixty cards, with no more than 3 copies of any card, by title. Your plot deck must contain exactly seven plot cards, with no duplicates (unless otherwise allowed by card text). Your plot deck and your House deck may not contain any card that contains the words "House X only," unless House X is the House you are playing. The legal card pool for the A Game of Thrones Joust Championship includes any non-banned cards (see below) from the following sets: A Game of Thrones Core Set, A Clash of Arms expansion block, A Time of Ravens expansion, King's Landing Chapter Packs 1-3 (City of Secrets, A Time of Trials, and The Tower of the Hand), and the Kings of the Sea expansion.

CaliCon Melee Championship

Rise to the top of the Melee: participate in the A Game of Thrones Melee Championship, on Sunday, September 13th, starting at 11:00 AM. (Registration begins at 10:00 AM, please report to the TO early if you are planning on participating in this tournament, as any player not registered once the tournament has begun will not be able to compete in the event.) Players will compete against each other in multiplayer play, through several preliminary rounds (depending on attendance), with tables being randomly mixed and assigned at the beginning of each round. After the third round, the field will cut to a top four (by score) "final table". Those four will play one final game, and the winner will be crowned the A Game of Thrones LCG World Melee Champion.

The Melee Championship Deckbuilding Rules: Your House deck must be at least sixty cards, with no more than 3 copies of any card, by title. Your plot deck must contain exactly seven plot cards, with no duplicates (unless otherwise allowed by card text). Your plot deck and your House deck may not contain any card that contains the words "House X only," unless House X is the House you are playing. The legal card pool for the A Game of Thrones Melee World Championship includes any non-banned cards (see below) from the following sets: A Game of Thrones Core Set, A Clash of Arms expansion block, A Time of Ravens expansion, King's Landing Chapter Packs 1-3 (City of Secrets, A Time of Trials, and The Tower of the Hand), and the Kings of the Sea expansion.

CaliCon Maester's Challenge

To be announced by Deathjester26...

Neat-o. ~Can't wait to see my name all engraved-style.

Also, I'd like to throw my name in for a bed/floor space (I'm not at all picky and have a bit of redneck side to boot). It's a long drive from up here in the California tundra down there and I'm bound to be lost in the vastness of the "cities."

Request number 2 for floorspace: Khaleesi, myself and 1 munchkin, assuming there's room.

Assuming we have crash space I can probably pretty much guarantee that we'll be there.

And now, off to relearn how to play, and to see if I can teach an eleven year to kick my butt.

So given the deck building rules does this mean the City of Shadows agenda is not allowed in this tourney? Or was the ability it provides to play out of house "House X Only" cards just overlooked?

Anyway, not being an ass(much), just want to make sure everything is clear here. And no this doesn't mean I'll be playing a shadows deck.... or does it?

It's allowed, I'm sure. It supercedes the regular deckbuilding restrictions and allows you to put "House X only" shadow cards in your deck. I think it's the "golden rule" in the rule books, but I don't have one handy; essentially, what a card says, goes (barring errata =P).

As promised, here are the rules for the much anticipated...

***2009 Grand Maester of Calicon Challenge***

For each field of study of study below, there is a task and a link.  Players will earn links for that particular field of study by accomplishing the task (only one link can be earned for each field of study, unless it states otherwise in the task description below).  After the melee on Sunday afternoon, the player with the longest chain will be crowned the Grand Maester of Calicon (tournament points will be used as a tie breaker if needed).  Of course, there will be a cool prize.

Fields of Study:
House Stark Lore - Play with, or defeat a deck with a Stark House card
House Lannister Lore - Play with, or defeat a deck with a Lannister House card
House Baratheon Lore - Play with, or defeat a deck with a Baratheon House card
House Greyjoy Lore - Play with, or defeat a deck with a Greyjoy House card or the Treaty with the Isles Agenda
House Targaryen Lore - Play with, or defeat a deck with a Targaryen House card
House Martell Lore - Play with, or defeat a deck with a Martell House card or the Treaty with the South Agenda

Faith - Come back to win a game after being down by 8 or more power
Defensive Tactics - Finish ahead of an opponent who is, or was at one point, 3 or less power away from winning
Engineering - Reveal 5+ cards on the flop
Medicine - Save 2 different characters from being killed, discarded, or returned to hand during a game
Economics - Finish the Dominance phase with 3 or more gold still in your gold pool
Death - Finish ahead of an opponent that has 1 or fewer character in play at the end of the game
Espionage - Discard the last card from an opponent's hand by an intrigue challenge or card effect
Presence - Finish ahead of an opponent that has 0 power at the end of the game
Offensive Tactics - Win a military, an intrigue, and a power challenge in the same challenge phase as the attacker
Relics - Control at least 3 attachments at the end of a round
Geography - Control 7 or more locations at the end of a round
Ravens - Convince the opponent who supports your title to defend one of your unopposed challenges (Melee Only)
Rescue - Successfully defend a challenge that an opponent you support has declared unopposed (Melee Only)
Royal History - Finish a game with a King or Queen character you control in play
Schemes - Play 3 events in the same round
Shadows - Finish a game with a card in shadows (controlled by you, or your opponent)
Seasons - Participate in a game in which it was summer or winter

Military History - Name all of the past world champions
History of Westeros - Complete the trivia challenge
Combat Training - Play a pick up game with some one just for fun

Jousting - Participate in the Joust on Saturday 9/12
Melee - Participate in the Melee on Sunday 9/13

The Final Cut - Reach the final table in Melee, or make the final cut for Joust (more than one possible)
Champion - Place first in the Melee, Joust, or as overall champion for the weekend (more than one possible)

These tasks are tentative, and subject to change.  Participants must be wearing their chains to win (They're hot!  You'll wear them with pride or face ridicule!).

whoot!! whoot!!  Fire it up!

BTW:  I'll be there, and I'll need floor space.  I call first dibs on drums for Rock Band Saturday night!!!

There's Rock Band? Sweet. I = suck at drums and probably guitar/bass as well. Everybody around here is too much of a wimp and I'm always relegated to vocals.

The Maester challenge looks very cool, too.

Lars said:

maester challenge sounds awesome! any pics of the chains/links yet or do we have to wait till after the event?

Someone may have a picture of everyone from last year with all their chains.  I didn't get any, but have made it a goal for this year.

The links are basically just plastic chain in various colors/styles that were cut so they could be snapped apart and back together.

Freerider said:

Request number 2 for floorspace: Khaleesi, myself and 1 munchkin, assuming there's room.

Assuming we have crash space I can probably pretty much guarantee that we'll be there.

And now, off to relearn how to play, and to see if I can teach an eleven year to kick my butt.

No problem. I will put you down for one of the spare rooms...of course if we face off in the joust/melee you HAVE to let me win! (is that a conflict of interest?)

J/K  gran_risa.gif

Freerider said:

So given the deck building rules does this mean the City of Shadows agenda is not allowed in this tourney? Or was the ability it provides to play out of house "House X Only" cards just overlooked?

Anyway, not being an ass(much), just want to make sure everything is clear here. And no this doesn't mean I'll be playing a shadows deck.... or does it?

Sure you can use the shadows agenda. My mistake. Thanks for bringing that up.

So it ocurred to me that I forgot to post one of the more important pieces of info. in my original post...the cost.  CaliCon will have an entry fee of $10 per player for the entire weekend. This will include $ for the store space, prizes and food on Sunday (everyone will be on their own for food on Sat.) gran_risa.gif

I know that many of you have committed to at least one day out of the weekend....is that mainly due to normal, everyday stuff or just conflicts with the weekend of Sept. 12th and 13th?  The reason for my inquiry is this: I am certain that we will have at least 4 more players show up if we were to reschedule CaliCon for the following weekend of the 19th and 20th...however I am hesitant to do so if it means other people could not make it.

So lets take a vote. Please post on this thread your availability for each of the weekends (Fri.-Sun.) in question: Sept. 11th - 13th   and then  Sept. 18th - 20th.

I will tally the results and post something ASAP to make sure we are all on the same page. Thanks,gran_risa.gif

I am available either weekend, Friday through Sunday, although on either one, I will get there relatively late Friday afternoon as I plan on driving the 4 1/2-5 hours after my last class gets out on Friday at 1:50 PM.

Saturday is the only day of the week that works for me and Geoff.  We're checking calendars and I'll post back here soon regarding the 12th vs. the 19th.

(I'll be in Seattle from the 16th to the 18th, so if I can figure out a way to fit Rings in my luggage on the way home, I'll drag him along...)

Ok we will leave everything as originally scheduled...since it really didn't matter either way. If you have questions please post them, otherwise hope to see you on the 12th!

Ah bummer. Have fun everyone, I'll not be able to be there on the 12-13th. I'll be out of town. Good luck to all, and I will miss the competition...which is sorely lacking these days in thrones.

cha0s said:

So it ocurred to me that I forgot to post one of the more important pieces of info. in my original post...the cost.  CaliCon will have an entry fee of $10 per player for the entire weekend. This will include $ for the store space, prizes and food on Sunday (everyone will be on their own for food on Sat.) gran_risa.gif

Just a reminder....we have just under two weeks and counting. Be there!

Deathjester26 said:

Tales from the Red Keep will, or will not, be legal???

WILL NOT be legal. I wasn't sure if it was going to be available in time and so I left it out of the original post. If you have further questions please ask!