Sign in to follow this  
Jayce_Ryu_Tismotto

Mysterious Boy

Okay...let's look at a couple Scenarios here. 

Your on a level 2 Twilight Town.

I've placed a Cerberus and a Behemoth on your world.  I have Monstro Level 1 in play.  This is not a rare occurance, this scenario would happen 80-95% playing a good Aggro build.

Your Friend Area, Scenario 1: Hayner Pence Ollete, Oathkeeper and Oblivion Equipped to Roxas. 22 ATK total (including friends).  Your looking at 32 total Dark Power. I've stalled you for a turn and your out of friends.

Your Friend Area Scenario 2: Fuu, Rai, Seifer, Oathkeeper and Oblivion Equipped to Roxas, full hand of six cards for Seifer. 25 ATK total (including friends.) Your looking at 32 total Dark Power again.  I've stalled you a turn and your out of friends.

Your Friend Area Scenario 3: 3 Samurai Nobodies, Oathkeeper and Oblivion Equipped to Roxas. 28 ATK total (including "friends"). Once again looking at 32 Total Dark Power. I've once again stalled you for a turn and your out of friends.

Those are your three best scenarios if I'm not mistaken to maximize your power.  Sure, you can just play three more friends next turn (IF you draw all three) cause your running low levels, point is, you've been stalled...and a stalled WR is a dead WR...that's not even taking into consideration that I could drop another Dark to replace the one you managed to kill, cause then your stalled for yet another turn.

Also, sure I understand that an Oblivion (or an Ultima which you should really add) Attack Card could be in your hand at some point, but that's only two turns worth of scraping by and it still forces you to use every last resource you have, and aggro loves it when you use up all your resources, cause it means your vulnerable.  My point here is that you should worry about "The Puppy", you should worry about all the dark cards that have been mentioned because you'd have to be really lucky for things to fall just right and work out. That Puppy is probably never going to be dropped on his own unless your running a slow Level 1 World Racer...but that's another problem entirely.

Jayce_Ryu_Tismotto said:

The funny thing in competitive build, no one would expect a Roxas in the face. They all would expect a Sora agro most likely and prepare for it. Not little old Roxas running worlds. LOL.

Not always, a good player expects a Sora aggro true enough, but plans on everything which means ways to kill Roxas (ie Cerberus, because in addition to Mr. Dawn's point, you will eventually run out of friends since you're limited to 8 different types and Seifer has requirements that block up your hand, Pence and Vivi are semi useless in most times.) and you wont be playing a magic game while Phil lives so your options for WR are pray that your opponent doesnt draw into their stock of dark cards, which would require a lot of luck, a stupid player, bad draw, or a combination of the three.  

WayToTheDawn said:

Okay...let's look at a couple Scenarios here. 

Your on a level 2 Twilight Town.

I've placed a Cerberus and a Behemoth on your world.  I have Monstro Level 1 in play.  This is not a rare occurance, this scenario would happen 80-95% playing a good Aggro build.

Your Friend Area, Scenario 1: Hayner Pence Ollete, Oathkeeper and Oblivion Equipped to Roxas. 22 ATK total (including friends).  Your looking at 32 total Dark Power. I've stalled you for a turn and your out of friends.

Your Friend Area Scenario 2: Fuu, Rai, Seifer, Oathkeeper and Oblivion Equipped to Roxas, full hand of six cards for Seifer. 25 ATK total (including friends.) Your looking at 32 total Dark Power again.  I've stalled you a turn and your out of friends.

Your Friend Area Scenario 3: 3 Samurai Nobodies, Oathkeeper and Oblivion Equipped to Roxas. 28 ATK total (including "friends"). Once again looking at 32 Total Dark Power. I've once again stalled you for a turn and your out of friends.

Those are your three best scenarios if I'm not mistaken to maximize your power.  Sure, you can just play three more friends next turn (IF you draw all three) cause your running low levels, point is, you've been stalled...and a stalled WR is a dead WR...that's not even taking into consideration that I could drop another Dark to replace the one you managed to kill, cause then your stalled for yet another turn.

Also, sure I understand that an Oblivion (or an Ultima which you should really add) Attack Card could be in your hand at some point, but that's only two turns worth of scraping by and it still forces you to use every last resource you have, and aggro loves it when you use up all your resources, cause it means your vulnerable.  My point here is that you should worry about "The Puppy", you should worry about all the dark cards that have been mentioned because you'd have to be really lucky for things to fall just right and work out. That Puppy is probably never going to be dropped on his own unless your running a slow Level 1 World Racer...but that's another problem entirely.

Ultima weapon has been added to this deck already, along with an oathkeeper as well. Samuria Nobodies are unique in this deck since Roxas does not have that exclusion text. Hence you third scenario would be incorrect. If it was correct though, it would not be 28, (Roxas 10, Samuria 6 x3) Samuria are not powered down since roxas does not have the text to round down samuria nobody, and they also get a plus 5 with roxas, making them a 12. If this scenario were true, the total attack would 46. (10 from Roxas, 12 x3 from Samuria.

Now, with my Roxas with his 2 equipment, a samuria, the crapiest 2 friends going, and an oblivion or ultima easily takes you out. (10+12+10+0+0)=32.

Samuria is being overlooked for some reason in the equation.

Well first I'd like a ruling on whether or not they get rounded down...it seems a bit powerful to be able to have a Level 1 +12 Friend and why would Roxas be so different...there's a reason your suppposed to round down Dark and Nobody power with other Players...they'd be too powerful if you didn't.  So I was going on that assumption for good reason, I wasn't overlooking them obviously, so get that fact straight.

Secondly, your scenario there, once again, is only going to happen twice a game.  Without your Oblivion or Ultima your coming up short.  Let''s assume though that Samurai's don't get rounded down.  You'd need a second to finish me off. Which now becomes a very situational play. To draw into two of the three Samurai in your deck you'd need at just that right time...seems to risky to me.

The point I'm trying to get across here is that a Roxas deck is too situational to work.  The idea that Roxas + Oathkeeper + Oblivion + Samurai is "teh awesomnest beatstick" just isn't gonna cut it...as with all Dark and OXIII Decks, they just lack everything a Light deck has at its disposal...I'm not saying they can't win, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying that the odds are stacked against you, and you'd have to be one heck of a player, one heck of a lucky player too, for it to be pulled of consistantly enough to be competative.

Fairbanks said:

They really shouldn't get rounded down.  Roxas is stupid gimped already, and since they're the only nobodies he can use, it doesn't seem overpowered.

I definitely see your point sir, but it just seems odd that you'd naturally assume they didn't get rounded down.  It would seem more intuative to assume the oppostie as all other cards that use dark or nobodies require that.

To be fair though, not rounding down does make Roxas a better card than I once thought...but still not worth it imo.

I would assume that they god halved, rounded down, if they decided to cram his box full of text like Ansem, Riku, and the OXIII people.  Since they didn't, I took it at face value.

Fairbanks said:

I would assume that they god halved, rounded down, if they decided to cram his box full of text like Ansem, Riku, and the OXIII people.  Since they didn't, I took it at face value.

Hmm...Fair Enough I suppose.

Fairbanks said:

Thats how I took him too. That and the fact that the samuria are unique. If they had not made them unique for play, then yes, they probably would have the round down text.

As for the Samuria being to powerful for a lv1, since most of the twilight cards are weak to begin with, roxas needs something to make him good. Other Org 13 memebers have their own special ability that is continuous, while roxas only has his game start one. Also, I can debate that Sora and Riku are overpowered with the use now of the kingdom key for both of them. Sora can form change too gaining even more abilities. The only thing that  Roxas lacks, is ability, not power. That is where he ultimately has the greatest disadvantage. But hey, isn't that why we play games, so we can figure out ways to get past things, regardless of the situation. Game would be no fun if it went the way of yugioh, and the now way of pokemon where most people the same thing always.

Edit: Some help to overcome situations would be appreciated on a side note.

I'm more inclined to go with the "round them down" side just because:

A) That's the way in every other case

B) POW is not the same as support value.  Just like how Magic is not the same as support value or... level is not the same as support value.  They're completely different variables.

C) This game is a bit notorious for "leaving out" things in the card text and rule book that are somewhat... important.  Example:  Beast.  Nowhere on the card or in the rule book does it specifically say that you can discard him during any particular phase.  But you can, according to FFG rulings.  Therefore: Assuming that they left it out for a reason... isn't a strong point.

As usual with this game, a ruling would be nice.

Beast, as well as almost all cards like him, are poorly worded.  ("If you discard this card," was most likely a mistranslation of "you may discard this card," and they just stuck with it) This one just doesn't have text at all.

I'd think it's implied that their POW is their support value as well.  I don't really get why you'd want to gimp this card any more than it already is because it, for some reason, fits your definition of what is "supposed" to be.  Ask for a ruling, but all that will happen is they'll either say it works as printed, or say "oops, it's supposed to actually be a horrible card, rather than a really bad one, thanks guys!"

And he's not getting better.

WayToTheDawn said:

Sluppie said:

With the release of Valor Form, WR probably will have to win a few challenges just to knock off the Valor Form now and then.

But then doesn't it become Jack of All Trades?  Thus putting the nail further into the WR coffin?

Actually..

That was exactly what I was getting at.