jacenat

Boardwars.eu Podcast Thread

Only like and share? Aw, come on guys... make the contest fun and interesting!

I'm a bit strapped for time at the moment, but I'm still open for suggestions :)

Why not design a mercenary deployment card? Design a campaign or skirmish mission idea? Design an imperial villian card? etc etc?

We certainly will do something more awesome for Boba Fett, but with me still being in a bit of a tight bind time wise, it just didn't happen for EP#16.

Speaking of which: Episode #16 is out!

http://boardwars.eu/podcast-16-scrambled-communication/

You can win the droids this time :)

Also we go over Wave 3 in quite some detail, so if you are on the fence on buying them you can listen to what we have to say about it (and then still buy them all ^^).

***Please, please, please don't read this as me being negative/a troll or as coming across as entitled. You guys are consistently giving up your own personal time to do this podcast, giving something to the wider gaming community, and helping to build the community surrounding this excellent game.***

But I'd like to offer what is hopefully some constructive criticism. 

You guys often put too much emphasis on description over analysis

- It's perfectly fine to read out a card and all of it's stats, traits abilities. In fact it's necessary, it helps the listeners and co-hosts know what we're talking about. 

- But a lot of the time, you guys read the whole card out and then talk about it, making it sometimes hard to follow which specific part of the card you're talking about

- Sometimes you'll read the card out and not say much more about it. Which is fine, but it only goes so far, we can all google the cards, or look at those that we've bought, or see them in articles online. But what we're tuning in for, is some analysis

- So it feels like, at least, some of the time, you're missing the "so what?" factor. You describe a card or a unit and then....?

- Let's have some more theory crafting, predictions of how a card will perform, or how a unit will do

So for example in Episode 16, you discuss the Wookiee Warriors, describe the cards, but then don't go into much analysis, one of your hosts briefly tries to talk about a Wookiee List and the Adrenaline card, but gets cut off and you're quickly onto the next thing. I also remember Boba Fett being described but not really analysed. It was just "here's his cards, here's his stats, move on" and I was left thinking, What?! He's awesome, why aren't you talking about how fast he is, or how hard he is to track down, or how his recover ability will probably make him really hard to kill. What are the implications of this in a game? Do the heroes ignore him? In skirmish, what do you do about him? What list/units might be able to take him down etc etc. 

By the way, in Episode 10, you guys talked about R2-D2 at some length, and provided excellent theory crafting/analysis of how he will play in Skirmish and how good he was along with his command cards. That's a great example of the kind of critical analysis that could be more common in the podcast. 

I really don't want to come across as ungrateful or nasty with this - I'm really happy to download and listen to every episode so far, I just think you guys should maybe cover less per episode and take a more discussion/analytical approach - the "so what?" factor - and allow each unit/card more time to be discussed. 

thanks for your feedback; you have some good points there.

We will think of ways to improve the podcast.

***Please, please, please don't read this as me being negative/a troll or as coming across as entitled. You guys are consistently giving up your own personal time to do this podcast, giving something to the wider gaming community, and helping to build the community surrounding this excellent game.***

But I'd like to offer what is hopefully some constructive criticism. 

You guys often put too much emphasis on description over analysis

- It's perfectly fine to read out a card and all of it's stats, traits abilities. In fact it's necessary, it helps the listeners and co-hosts know what we're talking about. 

- But a lot of the time, you guys read the whole card out and then talk about it, making it sometimes hard to follow which specific part of the card you're talking about

- Sometimes you'll read the card out and not say much more about it. Which is fine, but it only goes so far, we can all google the cards, or look at those that we've bought, or see them in articles online. But what we're tuning in for, is some analysis

- So it feels like, at least, some of the time, you're missing the "so what?" factor. You describe a card or a unit and then....?

- Let's have some more theory crafting, predictions of how a card will perform, or how a unit will do

So for example in Episode 16, you discuss the Wookiee Warriors, describe the cards, but then don't go into much analysis, one of your hosts briefly tries to talk about a Wookiee List and the Adrenaline card, but gets cut off and you're quickly onto the next thing. I also remember Boba Fett being described but not really analysed. It was just "here's his cards, here's his stats, move on" and I was left thinking, What?! He's awesome, why aren't you talking about how fast he is, or how hard he is to track down, or how his recover ability will probably make him really hard to kill. What are the implications of this in a game? Do the heroes ignore him? In skirmish, what do you do about him? What list/units might be able to take him down etc etc. 

By the way, in Episode 10, you guys talked about R2-D2 at some length, and provided excellent theory crafting/analysis of how he will play in Skirmish and how good he was along with his command cards. That's a great example of the kind of critical analysis that could be more common in the podcast. 

I really don't want to come across as ungrateful or nasty with this - I'm really happy to download and listen to every episode so far, I just think you guys should maybe cover less per episode and take a more discussion/analytical approach - the "so what?" factor - and allow each unit/card more time to be discussed.

Can I just reiterate again - I don't want to come across as a 'hater'. The podcast is still great and you're providing a great service to the game and the community.

I just hoped to provide what's hopefully constructive criticism. Hope it didn't come across as too harshly.

Do any of you guys play xwing at all? Have you listened to the scum and villainy podcast? That's a great example of content that goes beyond description and into deeper analysis. Although to be fair xwing is a much older game.

We are all still learning about Imperial Assault!

Hey jon :D

Since the main driving force behind improving/changing the podcast is still me and I am very busy with other stuff until about the end of the year, my resolution was to make a push towards better overall quality by about episode 20. There is a short list of improvements I want to make already and I will add your points to the list.

Fingers crossed we should have higher discussion quality until Hoth is released.

Don't give up on us yet :)

1 year anniversary episode #24 is out!

We got a new Patreon over at http://www.patreon.com/bweuwith amazing goals and rewards.

Also we are talking about all the news out of FFG in the recent few days.

And don't forget to vote on which heroes we should take along in our 2nd online campaign!

http://boardwars.eu/podcast-24-sauerkraut-icecreme/

Hey thanks for all the shout outs in Ep24 (Enhance - Wave 6 Details, Skirmish Strategy 101 and Meta/List collection thread)

Just to clarify - I'm the author of the Skirmish Strategy 101 blog post - but the Weekend Warlords site is the site of my FLGS - in Loughborough (pronounced "Luff-ba-rah") in the UK. 

The audiofile for Episode #27 has been fixed now. Previously it had a ~5 minute long strech of silence at the beginning. Just re-download in your podcast app or from the site and everything should be as expected.

I still announce it as Episode 28 though when it really is Episode 27. Sorry for the blunder. :)

Doesn't seem like Podbean has an option to just use an existing feed or free hosting or importing. Don't think we can afford that right now. With more patreon support I might add it in the future.