Sign in to follow this  
timbolton

Angmar Awakened #3: Across the Ettenmoors

After looking at the cards I'm thinking: Gimli with Ent Draught + Boots + other HP cards. Put some damage on him, play Delay the Enemy and have him singlehandedly quest over the staging thread and active location. Purposely hold back (through healing if nessecary) to keep Delay the Enemy in play so Gimli can do all the questing and location exploring singlehandedly. Use other heroes to deal with enemies or draw cards or whatever.

Build up a force of Booming Ents and Vassals of the Windlord, play Trained for War on the regular quest and smash through it in one turn. Do you think this will work? 

After looking at the cards I'm thinking: Gimli with Ent Draught + Boots + other HP cards. Put some damage on him, play Delay the Enemy and have him singlehandedly quest over the staging thread and active location. Purposely hold back (through healing if nessecary) to keep Delay the Enemy in play so Gimli can do all the questing and location exploring singlehandedly. Use other heroes to deal with enemies or draw cards or whatever.

Build up a force of Booming Ents and Vassals of the Windlord, play Trained for War on the regular quest and smash through it in one turn. Do you think this will work? 

Interesting concept. What method do you plan to use to reliably draw a 1/deck card with all tactics heroes?

It's a pity Beorn hero is immune to player card effects, because Dori's ability would work really, really well with him.

I know that Beorn is immune to player card effects, but Dori's ability doesn't target Beorn, it target's the attack.  I would like to see a ruling on this as it seems the best use of Dori.

Um. It tries to modify Beorn's defense, therefore stumbling upon the immunity. You're trying to apply the case of damage that Beorn is about to take can be canceled, but, unlike defense (or damage that is already dealt), that damage is not a part of Beorn yet, so it can be interacted with via card effects. Defense cannot be.

I think Dori is just a nice new tactics hero for dwarf builds.    Just more options and a pretty neat ability.  If your mono-spirit player gets engaged with an enemy, being able to assist in their defense can be really useful, for example.  

But why use Dori to boost another hero's defense up to 4 when you could just play Beregond and defend the attack yourself.

Edit: And I'm not sure what would be so great about combining Dori with heroes that have action advantage like Beorn or Boromir. Dori's effect is only for 1 attack, and does not stay around if you are defending multiple times.

Edited by Seastan

If you've absolutely got to defend a massive attack and survive, Dori + Beregond starts at six and could get much higher with attachments.  I think Dori's ability is only going to be useful for multi-player and boss enemies.  He could make a nice tag team with Thalin as a tactics dwarf, swap in Dori for quests with fewer, tougher enemies and Thalin for quests with lots of squishy enemies.

It's a pity he can't buff allies, though.  I can't see him being much good in a solo one-hand deck until one of the following happens:

1) A hero that doesn't exhaust to defend and *isn't* immune to card effects.

2) Some sort of readying attachment that keys off taking no damage when defending.

3) Some sort of event or attachment that benefits for helping with a defense (this would also help Stand Together be more useful).

Since Dori's effect only lasts for 1 attack and not multiple, would any kind of defensive attachment be better for this situation in almost all cases?

And I'm not sure what would be so great about combining Dori with heroes that have action advantage like Beorn or Boromir. Dori's effect is only for 1 attack, and does not stay around if you are defending multiple times.

For cases where there's only one big defense needed, which I think is reasonably frequent.  Dori's 1 attack is negligible, so exhausting him for defense in itself isn't that costly.  But Dori + Beorn (if only it were legal) would have Beorn defending at 3+Dori's attachments, and still being available to contribute 5+ attack.  Most enemies are going to be one-and-done while doing little damage to Beorn.

Dori + Boromir would defend at 4+both attachments, then for 1 threat Boromir could contribute 3 attack to killing the enemy.  That's one threat worse than combining Boromir with Beregond, but gives you four restricted slots for potentially buffing defense instead of two.  And I hope there's some spread between being as good as Beregond and being useless.  Spirit heroes shouldn't be coasters if they aren't as good as Glorfindel.

Since Dori's effect only lasts for 1 attack and not multiple, would any kind of defensive attachment be better for this situation in almost all cases?

No, any kind of defensive attachment would be better in this case if there are 2+ defenses to be made.  If there is only 1 defense to be made (or only one dangerous attack), it would be better to put the defensive attachment on Dori, giving the benefit of the attachment plus Dori's native defense.

In the case of Beorn, if his card said "cannot be healed" instead of "immune to card effects", Dori would rock, since he can have attachments and Beorn can't.  Sadly that's not the case.

I think the reason Dori is subpar is because Dwarves can be quite powerful, and defense is one of their weakness. Now, what you can do is use Dori with Dain, and Dain has a 5 defense, which can be used in a pinch, and for smaller enemies, you can use Longbeard sentry. In the meantime, focus on ramping up dwarves to quest, and that should be a fairly competent dwarf deck that can be played solo as well. 

Just a thought.

I am not going to say Dori is useless - I don't think any card is completely useless. But I think what we are trying to do here is find a good use for him - some situation where he shines - and back and forth discussion is one way of trying to come up with one.

Dori represents to me an extremely limited version of Stand Together (Stand Together allows any number of your characters to join defense, even allies, and applies to all attacks made during the phase, not just 1). Stand Together has been widely viewed as a mediocre card for quite some time, so I am skeptical on Dori's usefulness, but that's not to say I've given up.

The fact that Dori is not an attachment could itself be important depending on the quest. The best example in the game right now might be NM Shadow and Flame, where your super-defender's attachments are not guaranteed to stick around and chump blocking is a risky proposition.

Also, hero buffs like Dori's don't require you to draw them. Having the effect available on Round 1 every time is solid, even if it isn't always needed.

I wonder if they would have made Dori a bit stronger if he were not a Dwarf. As mentioned in the Second Bfast article, he and the new Longbeard help address one of the few weaknesses of the trait. If they did the defensive job too well, then we'd be back to complaining about how Dwarves are too strong. I hope they play around with other variations of his ability. It seems like a smart way to design new defensive heroes without reprinting Beregond's stat line.

The fact that Dori is not an attachment could itself be important depending on the quest. The best example in the game right now might be NM Shadow and Flame, where your super-defender's attachments are not guaranteed to stick around and chump blocking is a risky proposition.

NM SaF crossed my mind as well. The Firey Sword could put an end to this though. And so much of your resources are going toward this combo it leaves little remaining for the other aspects of the quest. But if someone has tried this and succeeded I'd certainly be interested.

It's a bit of a shame, because I can think of so many ways in which this Dori hero could have made more sense in 1-2 player games:

• If Dain boosted dwarves' defense, it could be an interesting way to pass that defense off to non-dwarves
  • If dwarves had access to some efficient defense-boosting attachment (like say a cost 0 +1 def restricted attachment for dwarves only) then it could be a way to "pass on" those restricted slots to a non-dwarf hero
  • If Dori were Gondor (for some reason) he could make better use of the Gondorian Shield than a non-Gondor hero, and then pass that benefit on
  • If we had an easy way to ready Dwarves (or Sentinels) you could spare his action and then ready him up to do it again
  • If he could apply his bonus to allies as well as heroes, we wouldn't be having this discussion

But I have to say I've been thinking about Dori a lot more than other heroes lately, so I must find him interesting. He's a puzzle all by himself.

I'm sure in practice he's perfectly serviceable in 4 player, though.

• If we had an easy way to ready Dwarves (or Sentinels) you could spare his action and then ready him up to do it again

mec43-fan2.png

The Battle of Carn Dûm will take care of that. Hold Your Ground will be great in a deck we Beregond and Dori in multiplayer. 

Edited by Cemetery Man

Dori seems ok enough. More multiplayer focussed but he has the type of ability that might just combo really well with future cards. I'll have to keep my eye on him for the future.

Interesting concept. What method do you plan to use to reliably draw a 1/deck card with all tactics heroes?

Some ideas for this:

- Berevor/Erestor and conventional card draw

- Word of Command and an Istari

- Leadership and the new sidequest search card

(these concepts involve the tragic death of the non-tactics hero before the final push :))

- The new defender dwarf that let's you mill your own deck and Gandalf (Hero)

- Defender dwarf and the prospector to mill your deck, then return the sidequest to your thinned out deck

or with mono-tactics

- Hama and Trained for War

- Hama and that tactics-card-draw

- Trained for War and the book that recycles tactics events

The big question is how much time do I have to set it up, if I can't quest well but CAN kill everything fairly easily? Will I get location-locked or threat-out too easily? For multiplayer I think this deck has MUCH more potential, as you can do the fighting while others quest.