Sign in to follow this  
Icareane

Ica repaints

Hello guys!

Repainted my first Armada X-Wing today, it's really fun at this scale! 

red5-xwing-armada-side-starboard.jpg

red5-xwing-armada-side-starboard2.jpg

You can find a small tutorial on how to replace the laser canons barrels by pins on my blog with a few more photos:

http://www.rule37.net/2015/04/armada-first-x-wing-painted-and-laser.html

Really excited by this game!

Edited by Icareane

Thanks!

For the free hand I use a size 1 Raphael 8404 brush. I switched to Raphael brushes about 8 years back and it really makes a difference. Raphael are on the expensive side (around 8-10€ a brush) but they keep a fine point for a long time.

brushsize.jpg

The reservoir is nice and big, meaning you can work for longer periods with refueling. At small sizes (2 and below) all Raphaels have the same point, its just the reservoir size and the hairs length that changes.

Although I am a loyal servant of the Empire - HOLY HECK! That is AMAZING~! :o

Icarene, do you do comissions?

Rofl...I am going to be BROKE!

Bookmarked this thread for future referrence! :wub: :wub: :wub:

Awesome stuff!

You've inspired me I must admit. Going to have to try my hand at a more modified higher quality X winG, though i can't imagine id want to make many of them. It looks like you've done your whole core set as well.

I hope you post pocs of your corvette and painted Ties i hope!

@Alpha XG1: not so far no.

@wjgo: wax on, wax off...

For larger models (think 40K tanks) I use Tamyia masking tape, but at this scale its impossible to use so most of the work is done with a brush. A good martre kolinsky brush will keep a very fine point (see picture above) allowing the painting of lines (for exemple here the brush tip when pressed on the model so that paint can flow is about the size of the black lines around the cockpit and nose).

That said the easiest way to get a line is to proceed by trial and error : start by painting as close to the shape you want as possible, then come back for corrections with the base color.

Since you only have to take care of one side of the area you're covering with the base its much easier to get the shape you want.

Love the pin points for the cannons,

Was just brain storming how to take the Idea further.

Get needles with very small eyes, and cut the eye about 1mm up from the bottom of the eye, then trim the rest of the pin to length, so as to show the laser flashback suppressors

@Funk Fu Master: I tried several solutions involving green stuff, plasticard, etc... but I could not make it work at this scale. It just looks grossly overscale (probably because the guns are already too large).

If you find something I would be happy to see it.

Edited by Icareane

How did you get exact lines?  I was thinking of using modeling clay and a razor as a mask.

Properly thinned paints help as well as a steady hand(and/or braced).

The X-wing looks amazing!

Well, I'd say the first took about 2 hours and a half, I switched to batch mode for the last 10 and I expect them to take about 1 hour and a half on average.

This includes

-pin conversion (about 10 minutes)

-prep (flash removal and cleaning mould lines)

-black priming

-white airbrushed basecoat

-black lining

-canon shading

-cockpit (about 10-15 minutes)

-front engines top (about 10-15 minutes)

-front engines intakes (about 5-10 minutes)

-squadron markings (about 10-15 minutes)

-engine glow

I probably could go faster on some steps, but slow and steady win the race at that scale and I like taking my time.

Edited by Icareane

I have a huge problem with the pictures in this thread.  You see, before this was posted, all of the rest of us felt we had done a good job with our own re-paintings.   Now however, we all realize that we are pretty far below the bar. 

=P  

Seriously though, amazing work!

Edited by Crabbok

For me it is the canopies that make the finished work pop. I'm going to be painting my fighters in batch mode but will take the time to paint in the canopies like yours.