Sign in to follow this  
mitchjmiller

Question Re:Skills used as an action

Right, so something had just dawned on me while playing today, and may explain why the heroes have been having such a hard time for our group.

I think I'm clear on it now but just wanted to run it by all you veterans out there to confirm.

Regarding hero skills: Is it true that they can be used multiple times per turn, UNLESS they specifically say "exhaust this card"? As in, the arrow icon to denote actions does not inherently mean exhaust?

(I suppose this assumption originally came from Magic the Gathering, where a similar symbol means 'tap' or essentially exhaust)

For example, the Spiritspeaker's Healing Rain skill.

ARROW: Roll 1 red power die. Each hero within 3 spaces of you (including yourself) recovers HEART equal to the number of HEART rolled.

Am I correct in saying you may use this skill for both of your characters action's, so long as you can afford the fatigue cost?

To follow up, another clarification, does the same apply to for example,

The Runemaster's Ghost Armour skill.

After you roll defense dice when attacked, use this card to add 1SHIELD to the results.

Am I also correct in assuming this can be used multiple times against multiple attacks, so long as you can pay the fatigue cost, because it says use as opposed to exhaust?

1) The "tap" icon means "action" in Descent. Also there are some cards with this icon AND "exhaust" wording. If there isn't "exhaust" but "tap" icon on the card - you can use this skill 2 times in one round. Or 3 times with threat tokens.

2) Yes, you can cast Ghost Armor multiple times as long as you can pay fatigue to do this.

Further clarification on Ghost Armour if I may,

Can it be used numerous times per attack against the hero? Card specifically to use after dice are rolled? Does this mean I only have the one opportunity to use it, or can I repeat cast as many times as I like after the dice are rolled?

Example,

A monster attacks with 4 Hearts and I defend with 2 Shields. Can I trigger ghost armour twice, spending 2 fatigue to bump me up to 4 shield and negating all damage?

Thanks, guys.

I think this will give the Heroes a bit more of a fighting chance going forward. We were having some major concerns with balance. Only fair game we've had so far was when we accidentally set up the monsters for one 2 heroes instead of 3...

But yes, Leoric being able to blast twice in a row, Ashrian being able to heal twice, these types of things should carry the heroes a bit further (although, they'll now need to be a little more watchful of fatigue).

Thanks again!

Thanks, guys.

I think this will give the Heroes a bit more of a fighting chance going forward. We were having some major concerns with balance. Only fair game we've had so far was when we accidentally set up the monsters for one 2 heroes instead of 3...

But yes, Leoric being able to blast twice in a row, Ashrian being able to heal twice, these types of things should carry the heroes a bit further (although, they'll now need to be a little more watchful of fatigue).

Thanks again!

If you are having a tough time with 3 heroes, I strongly suggest you read through the rules again to see what else you are missing- 3 heroes is generally regarded as the easiest configuration for the heroes.

For example, is your OL following the 1 attack limit for monsters and activating all monsters of a group together? Is he drawing 3 cards at the start of the quest (not encounter) and not playing duplicate cards? Are you recovering all fatigue between encounters and refreshing your heroic feats?

It isn't impossible that you're losing legitimately- but if it seems consistently slanted against 3 heroes, it is worth a look.

Edited by Zaltyre

No- only once per trigger.

Nope: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/10693900#10693900

I stand corrected- that does make more sense, as other cards that say "use" like the Conjurer's Channeling and Mirror Image can be used multiple times per trigger, since the trigger is just "you turn."

Wow, really? Ghost Armor is a better skill than I thought then. You can basically deflect damage up to your stamina then with that ability for a mere 1 xp investment. And with Quellen..

Darnit, as if the Runemaster needed more reasons to be the best mage in the game :mellow:

Edited by Charmy

Darnit, as if the Runemaster needed more reasons to be the best mage in the game :mellow:

Right? The last Runemaster I played against didn't even buy this skill- perhaps he should have- quellen is one thing- but Jaes can actually have a much higher stamina- when he's rested, that's what- potential 7 shields?

EDIT: As I recall, the "Ghost Armor" card in Runebound is also seriously powerful- pay enough fatigue, and you have enough time to reasonably kill any enemy before he can touch you.

Edited by Zaltyre

Thanks, guys.

Thanks again!

If you are having a tough time with 3 heroes, I strongly suggest you read through the rules again to see what else you are missing- 3 heroes is generally regarded as the easiest configuration for the heroes.

For example, is your OL following the 1 attack limit for monsters and activating all monsters of a group together? Is he drawing 3 cards at the start of the quest (not encounter) and not playing duplicate cards? Are you recovering all fatigue between encounters and refreshing your heroic feats?

It isn't impossible that you're losing legitimately- but if it seems consistently slanted against 3 heroes, it is worth a look.

Sorry to bump in, but what do you mean by the overlord "not playing duplicate cards"?

No problem- The OL cannot play two cards with the same name in response to the same trigger- or, you might say he can never play duplicate cards at once. Example:

A shadow dragon performs an attack and rolls 5 hearts but no surges. The OL plays Dark Might to add a surge (so the dragon can use fire breath). He CANNOT play another Dark Might card to add a second surge to the attack.

This is because Dark Might can be played "when a monster attacks a hero, after rolling dice." The OL cannot play a second Dark Might without that occurring a second time.

If he then plays Frenzy on the dragon and attacks again, he could use the second Dark Might, because the requirement (a monster attacking a hero) has been fulfilled a new time.

By the same token- you cannot play two frenzy cards on the same monster to give it two extra attack actions at once. So, in the example with tbe shadow dragon, after playing frenzy on that dragon, he could not play another Frenzy card to get a third attack, but he could play the second Frenzy on the OTHER shadow dragon- because that is activating a new monster.

(a note about dash and frenzy- they only provide normal move and attack actions- you cannot use frenzy to let an elemental use Fire a second time, or Dash to let Alric do another Overpower action).

Edited by Zaltyre

What about playing Critical Blow after Dark Might? Is it possible?  That's what we do normally but with what you just said I'm thinking we're doing it wrong.

Playing two cards with different names  in response to the same trigger is perfectly fine. In our shadow dragon example, he could play Dark Might and Critical blow together to essentially add +3 to any attack (since Dark Might is providing the surge.)  However, he could not play two Dark Mights on the same attack, because that's two cards with the same name in response to the same trigger.

Hi there.  Total noob here.

I just started playing Descent 2.0 campaign and its been a blast.  I do have a question on fatigue that I am hoping someone from the community can help clear up.  

As I understand, you can use fatigue points to augment one of your action (i.e. use as movement points, do a search. etc).  I read somewhere that you can also add a power dice by spending a fatigue (as long as you have fatigue to spend).  One of my group member read this and had printed something on the fatigue definition and it had it stated that you can use fatigue to gain a power dice on your attack roll.  

Is this correct? 

Clarification would be most appreciated!

One of my group member read this and had printed something on the fatigue definition and it had it stated that you can use fatigue to gain a power dice on your attack roll.  

Is this correct? 

Your group member is mistaken. You cannot spend fatigue to increase the power of your attacks in this manner.

You cannot use fatigue to search tokens either. The only thing anyone can spend fatigue on that isn't a hero or class ability is gaining movement points.

Edited by Charmy

Hi there.  Total noob here.

I just started playing Descent 2.0 campaign and its been a blast.  I do have a question on fatigue that I am hoping someone from the community can help clear up.  

As I understand, you can use fatigue points to augment one of your action (i.e. use as movement points, do a search. etc).  I read somewhere that you can also add a power dice by spending a fatigue (as long as you have fatigue to spend).  One of my group member read this and had printed something on the fatigue definition and it had it stated that you can use fatigue to gain a power dice on your attack roll.  

Is this correct? 

In Descent First of the name you could do that..

Not in Descent V2 ... perhaps you have missed that detail where you and your friend read the info?

Edited by Felin

Thank you Charmy and Felin for the clarification.

He must have read it out there on the web (you know, whatever is on the internet, it must be true...lol!)

So, the only thing you can use fatigue is for movement!

Thanks!

No that is not correct. You can spend fatigue to game movement points. 1 point per fatigue spent. And some cards require you to spend fatigue to activate that ability. How much fatigue is printed on the ugrade card