Sign in to follow this  
Vertrucio

What can you pre-measure?

So I know that the maneuver tool can be used to basically pre-measure/plan moves until the moment you lock it into place against the moving ship.

However, can you pre-measure anything else?

The RR says you can use the range/distance ruler to measure at any time. However, you can only pre-measure with the maneuver tool during the Determine Course step, then once you notch it into the base you are committed to that course.

Can you notch it into the base and then do some clicking to see if you like the outcome or do you have to click it and look at it from above? I see this being one locally alot set what you think you like set it down realize you fly off the map and make another click.

Can you notch it into the base and then do some clicking to see if you like the outcome or do you have to click it and look at it from above? I see this being one locally alot set what you think you like set it down realize you fly off the map and make another click.

from what I understand you cannot "click it" once your notch the tool

The RR says you can use the range/distance ruler to measure at any time. However, you can only pre-measure with the maneuver tool during the Determine Course step, then once you notch it into the base you are committed to that course.

I researched this very topic last night because I thought I might be unintentionally cheating (and I was). A few times during a game I'd laid down the maneuver template before deciding to spend a Nav dial/token to see if I'd need the extra speed or click. Foul! You can premeasure with the stick whenever you want, but the maneuver tool is only manipulable during the Determine Course step, exactly as you say.

You can't notch it, but I believe its perfectly acceptable to lay it alongside the eventual notch-point (with some space in between) to judge roughly where you'll end up traveling.

Coming from X-Wing I wasn't sure how I'd like this rule originally, but it seems necessary. I'd have flown a Corvette off the board at least once a game without being allowed to estimate the eventual landing point.

So can you mess with the notches while its NOT attached (committed) to the ship? So lay it down, next to, but not touching your ship...and mess with the clicks while its laying down..

Yes.

Kind of seems like a meaningless distinction in all but the closests of fits. 1mm away, fine. Clicked in, nope. I mean part of the reason for no-premeasure rules is to prevent analysis paralysis. This doesn't seem to accomplish it. However maybe that small difference is enough to mean something.

Kind of seems like a meaningless distinction in all but the closests of fits. 1mm away, fine. Clicked in, nope. I mean part of the reason for no-premeasure rules is to prevent analysis paralysis. This doesn't seem to accomplish it. However maybe that small difference is enough to mean something.

Yeah, it's a silly concept, but I think the idea was that 1.) Ships of this size should be able to accurately plot a course and 2.) they had to draw the line somewhere as far as committing.  

I would also like to point out, as I didn't see anyone mention it, that when using the range ruler, that you can only use one at a time.   You can't butt a couple together, and you can't pull out a tape measure or some nonsense.  

I would also like to point out, as I didn't see anyone mention it, that when using the range ruler, that you can only use one at a time. You can't butt a couple together, and you can't pull out a tape measure or some nonsense.

Do you have a page reference handy for that?

Edited by Demethostes

I would also like to point out, as I didn't see anyone mention it, that when using the range ruler, that you can only use one at a time. You can't butt a couple together, and you can't pull out a tape measure or some nonsense.

I think it's in the tournament rules, not the regular Rules Reference.

RR pg 9, premeasuring

- Players can premeasure with either side of the range ruler at anytime.

This implies what the tournament rules state explicitly on pg 4

-A player cannot use multiple rulers or maneuver tools to measure additional range, distance, or movement beyond the length of a single tool or to triangulate measurements.

Of course, casual play, if both players are cool with it, then whatever.  Personally, I always play to the letter as practice for the real thing.

Can we check anytime for fire range angle to see if a ship will or is in the bracket to fire on it?

You can use the range ruler any time you want to measure whatever you want. The tournament rules say you just can't be excessive about it.

To my reading of the rules it seems like you can lay the manuever tool down and adjust it before deciding whether to spend a navigate command dial or token. Does anyone else agree with this?

In the RR it says you can use the manuever tool to measure during the determine course step of movement and it says during the determine course step of movement you can spend your navigate commands.

To my reading of the rules it seems like you can lay the manuever tool down and adjust it before deciding whether to spend a navigate command dial or token. Does anyone else agree with this?

In the RR it says you can use the manuever tool to measure during the determine course step of movement and it says during the determine course step of movement you can spend your navigate commands.

That is correct.

But do note, that if you choose not to spend your dial, you cannot convert it into a token at this time as the time window for that is way gone.

RR pg 9, premeasuring

-A player cannot use multiple rulers or maneuver tools to measure additional range, distance, or movement beyond the length of a single tool or to triangulate measurements.

Of course, casual play, if both players are cool with it, then whatever.  Personally, I always play to the letter as practice for the real thing.

Of interest here is that you can premeasure your moves, but you can't premeasure from where you are moving to (unless you can gain that info from the range ruler going past where you move).

So if I am moving my ship I can premeasure where the ship will move to, but can't measure from where it will be in relation to other ships.  Ditto for Squad movement, you can measure from where you are, but can't measure from where you will be to an enemy squadron or ship.

At least thats my take, anyone have any different take on that?

Where is the best place to find a printed "time window" list for Armada?

There is no such thing yet, like it is available in WH40k LCG, but you can kind of easily peace it together because the separate things happening in a round are very well spelled out in the reference rules, there is an excellent section on effect timing and all the vocabulary and wordings are used very precisely and consistently.

RR pg 9, premeasuring

Of interest here is that you can premeasure your moves, but you can't premeasure from where you are moving to (unless you can gain that info from the range ruler going past where you move).

So if I am moving my ship I can premeasure where the ship will move to, but can't measure from where it will be in relation to other ships.  Ditto for Squad movement, you can measure from where you are, but can't measure from where you will be to an enemy squadron or ship.

At least thats my take, anyone have any different take on that?

That's my biggest question. What points are you allowed to premeasure from/to?

Hello everyone! I know that this topic has been discussed, it seems to me that there is nothing written about it in the RR, but I would like to clarify if a player is legitimate to use two maneuvering tools to measure its movements. Last night a guy performed several maneuvers on the board edge, using two tools to constantly check not to go out with his MC80 the next round....at least it's an unfair thing to me.

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, Kieran Rexer said:

Hello everyone! I know that this topic has been discussed, it seems to me that there is nothing written about it in the RR, but I would like to clarify if a player is legitimate to use two maneuvering tools to measure its movements. Last night a guy performed several maneuvers on the board edge, using two tools to constantly check not to go out with his MC80 the next round....at least it's an unfair thing to me.

Thanks.

That's not legal.

The two-tool rule specifically forbids having 2 tools on the table at the same time.