Sign in to follow this  
Reuben What Is?

Campaign - Hard on Rebel Players?

In my experience (playing campaign in 2-player/2-hero/legendary mode), the Rebels have a very hard time winning.  I haven't tried the 4-hero approach yet.  On one hand, you should earnestly make sure you are doing everything correctly (read the rules again, even if you don't think you need to).

See this thread for more insights:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/129589-do-rebels-ever-win/

It's hard on both sides. The losing side tends to be louder.

I'm the imperial player and I have had tough times dealing with the rebels. They plan their moves and keep the objectives in mind.

That said I've won and lost. Sometimes I've crushed the rebels like a easily crushable bugs and sometimes it has boiled down to the last action roll. And the same goes for my losses. And everytime both sides have agreed that silly mistakes were made and actions were taken that seemed smart but were not so smart in those situations.

I sympathize with the OP. In our 3-player, 4 Hero game the Rebels have lost every mission. The first couple were the result of not moving towards the objectives fast enough and getting bogged down trying to eliminate all the Imperial figures, but even employing a run and gun strategy we've been unable to acheive objectives quick enough to avoid running out of time without exposing ourselves to overwhelming fire capable of dropping a hero in a turn. No doubt part of it is that the Imperial player has done a great job both tactically and in finding devastating synergies between units and attachments, but it also seems like the design of the game leads to a snowball effect where the more the Empire wins, the more difficult it becomes for Rebels to win subsequent missions, since the Empire continues to amass resources and get more threat to deploy while Rebels are starved for the credits and XP needed to counter it with improved skills and better gear.

Edited by PostModernPrimate

I sympathize with the OP. In our 3-player, 4 Hero game the Rebels have lost every mission. The first couple were the result of not moving towards the objectives fast enough and getting bogged down trying to eliminate all the Imperial figures, but even employing a run and gun strategy we've been unable to acheive objectives quick enough to avoid running out of time without exposing ourselves to overwhelming fire capable of dropping a hero in a turn. No doubt part of it is that the Imperial player has done a great job both tactically and in finding devastating synergies between units and attachments, but it also seems like the design of the game leads to a snowball effect where the more the Empire wins, the more difficult it becomes for Rebels to win subsequent missions, since the Empire continues to amass resources and get more threat to deploy while Rebels are starved for the credits and XP needed to counter it with improved skills and better gear.

I've noticed that the story missions that you get if you lose seem to be a bit easier than the ones you get if you win, so that might be a balancing factor. My group also really haven't picked up crates which might be exacerbating their long term woes (as well as missing out on the in-game benefits).

In our group we're playing a 4 hero game and initially we really struggled, we didn't get how long it took to get to mission objective and side missions were a bust. since main mission 2 we decided that crates were more important and we've developed characters nicely and have some awesoe upgrades too.

The last mission was a decider on what final mission we play and watching out imp player get more and more frustrated with us decimating his troops and rolling cancel all on white dice is really quite amusing :-) 6 in a row we managed... we did well not to laugh!

the skilled rebels are more than a match but it takes careful building

I do think that a 3-4 player campaign is more balanced than a 1v1 or 2v1 only because of the number of player pieces on the board. Even though you get twice as many activations with Legendary you still can't be in more than 1 place at a time.

We have three players in our group. When we play, one plays the Imperials and two play two Rebels each.

I lost two Missions as the Imperials.

We changed, my friend lost two Missions as the Imperials, and we played a lot of the same missions so that surprise factor was lessened.

We switched. We are halfway through our third campaign with a third Imperial player. Rebels haven't won a single mission.

I don't think we are dummies, we all have years of experience with tactical games. Each time was with a varied group of four Rebels, with different strategies for advancement.

Maybe we just don't "get" the Rebels, but so far, our table is strictly Empire.

The only time I lose as the Imperial player is when there are more than 4 heroes (house rules), and then it's a pretty fair fight.

Otherwise, I pretend I'm a waffle iron and my heroes are the batter. (read: they get crushed, heated and thoroughly drenched in the syrup of my choosing, and then eaten).

I'm having some tough times as imperial. The game is not hard on a specific side, a lot depends on how good the players are (and some luck).

You're going through one of those critical dodge weeks. I swear my wife as a rebel one time rolled 4 consecutive critical dodges to stay alive and win a mission for her team!

In my group, I'm the Imperials and I've been having a tough go. Only won 2 games so far and both were story missions. I attribute this to actual planing as I know what story mission is coming so I sit down a try to plan. Side mission is picked at the start of the next game, they draw a card at the end of the game but don't choose till next game as we usually are being hurried out of the FLGS we're playing in as they try to close the store for the night.

Also, it's 4 people playing against me so they can confer between themselves to come up with the best solution for them on the fly. I just have to try getting into strategy more but items they've been collecting in the over the 5 games we've played from side missions and numerous crate pickups for the extra credits is really been a boon for them.

We have three players in our group. When we play, one plays the Imperials and two play two Rebels each.

We changed, my friend lost two Missions as the Imperials, and we played a lot of the same missions so that surprise factor was lessened.

We switched. We are halfway through our third campaign with a third Imperial player. Rebels haven't won a single mission.

I don't think we are dummies, we all have years of experience with tactical games. Each time was with a varied group of four Rebels, with different strategies for advancement.

Our family is playing through this as well, and I'm heavily coaching everyone to try to keep the rebels as close to perfect on strategy as possible. (I also feel like its sort of lame that I need to do that, but otherwise it feels like we have 0 chance of winning). Like a lot of the posters here, I have years and years of experience playing tactical board games, much more than my son who is playing Imperials and whom I beat 90% of the time in every other game we play if I don't give him a handicap (which I do).

So far, Imperials lost the first match, and Rebels have lost every match since and we are about halfway through the campaign, doing every sidequest. Frankly the Rebels are getting disheartened as many of the missions so far have seemed nearly impossible to complete within the time. (We've done Target of Opp, and Jynns sidequests so far)

The even more frustrating thing is we felt like maybe we went a little to slow on the first one, and spent too much time getting crates, so the next mission we left the crates alone and that ended up costing us the game because mid game a new objective popped up in a crate near the entrance that we didn't have time to reach.  That was just soulcrushing to the group to finally be close to a win and then feel like the game tricked us with what we "learned" about having to move fast in the last mission.

It also seems like if you have a turn of bad die rolls as Rebels when trying to achieve an objective in a time limit.... forget it ... you are done.

If this keeps up I'm afraid we won't finish the campaign because people are starting to not have fun anymore, which is too bad, because I think the game has great mechanics but the balance seems off. (Yes I know, someone will come on here saying it's too easy for rebels as others have said... sorry .. just not seeing that.)

Edited by mandroid71

The 4 rebels appear to be having a hard time In Our game. Winning the first 2, and losing the last 3. I feel like I have to really just let them win at this point or nobody is going to want to play anymore.

Our family is playing through this as well, and I'm heavily coaching everyone to try to keep the rebels as close to perfect on strategy as possible. (I also feel like its sort of lame that I need to do that, but otherwise it feels like we have 0 chance of winning). Like a lot of the posters here, I have years and years of experience playing tactical board games, much more than my son who is playing Imperials and whom I beat 90% of the time in every other game we play if I don't give him a handicap (which I do).

So far, Imperials lost the first match, and Rebels have lost every match since and we are about halfway through the campaign, doing every sidequest. Frankly the Rebels are getting disheartened as many of the missions so far have seemed nearly impossible to complete within the time. (We've done Target of Opp, and Jynns sidequests so far)

The even more frustrating thing is we felt like maybe we went a little to slow on the first one, and spent too much time getting crates, so the next mission we left the crates alone and that ended up costing us the game because mid game a new objective popped up in a crate near the entrance that we didn't have time to reach.  That was just soulcrushing to the group to finally be close to a win and then feel like the game tricked us with what we "learned" about having to move fast in the last mission.

It also seems like if you have a turn of bad die rolls as Rebels when trying to achieve an objective in a time limit.... forget it ... you are done.

If this keeps up I'm afraid we won't finish the campaign because people are starting to not have fun anymore, which is too bad, because I think the game has great mechanics but the balance seems off. (Yes I know, someone will come on here saying it's too easy for rebels as others have said... sorry .. just not seeing that.)

Just make sure people know they can be defeated and the imperial player doesn't autowin. We often had our wookiee charge in to the triggering condition we are told about because at that point we know how to complete the mission he usually gets wounded but it spreads the imperail player out and gives us a chance.

Any time you rest you are basically giving the imperial player a free turn so do it only when absolutely critical.

I'm about halfway through two concurrent campaigns, and at this point I'm absolutely convinced that the balance of the campaign is almost entirely dependent on the tactical skill of the Imperial player in particular. As long as the Imperial plays well and doesn't make any serious tactical blunders, I think they'll win 9 times out of 10, even if the Rebels play just as well and also don't make any serious blunders. It would take very strong dice luck to overcome a skilled Imperial.

I think that's also why people have the general impression that the campaign is well-balanced, because there are equal numbers of threads saying "Imperials never win" and "Rebels never win". In the aggregate, if you look at 100 campaigns played by 100 different groups of people, it may very well be true that they'll go roughly 50/50. But if you take any particular group of people and have them play 100 campaigns (with the same person as the Imperial every time), I think they'd go pretty consistently one way or the other, depending on how good the Imperial player is.

I'm about halfway through two concurrent campaigns, and at this point I'm absolutely convinced that the balance of the campaign is almost entirely dependent on the tactical skill of the Imperial player in particular. As long as the Imperial plays well and doesn't make any serious tactical blunders, I think they'll win 9 times out of 10, even if the Rebels play just as well and also don't make any serious blunders. It would take very strong dice luck to overcome a skilled Imperial.

I think that's also why people have the general impression that the campaign is well-balanced, because there are equal numbers of threads saying "Imperials never win" and "Rebels never win". In the aggregate, if you look at 100 campaigns played by 100 different groups of people, it may very well be true that they'll go roughly 50/50. But if you take any particular group of people and have them play 100 campaigns (with the same person as the Imperial every time), I think they'd go pretty consistently one way or the other, depending on how good the Imperial player is.

Have to agree. The rebels have played 2.5 campaigns of 4 heroes with different players and hero compositions and been flattened by me. They were off to a good start in a 2 hero campaign against me (lasted all 8 turns of Under Siege!), but after a few missions I felt like I had a better handle on dealing with the legendary bonuses (or maybe just getting more threat and a class card I'd saved up for made the difference) and they were back to being crushed. It does start to feel like it's the Imperial player's game to lose, and that barring being surprised by the heroes (either being lucky or being very clever) I win handily.

Popular opinion being that Imperial has the easier go of things in campaign, I'm curious if Twin Shadows is going to resolve things...  Either with new heroes or keywords.

Interestingly - myself and 2 other gamer friends recently started a campaign with each of them controlling 2 heroes.  We've played 4 missions and imperials are 1-3, but every single mission has come down to the last possible moment for the rebels.  I've never had more fun playing (even though I am the imperial).  The weird thing is, that I'm not noticing anything terribly different about strategies.  So, who knows.  I just hope this balance keeps up for us - cause the game has never been this much fun for me personally...

I'm nine missions into a campaign, with 4 Rebel and 5 Imperial wins. The overall score seems balanced so far, but my Rebel counterparts find the game very unbalanced in my favour and have been close to quiting the campaign on several occasions despite the even split of losses and victories.

They are currently 2 Rebel players playing 4 Heroes (as we found that the game was uphill with less than 4 heroes) and I hope that they'll see it to the bitter end, to see the campaign fulfilled.