Sign in to follow this  
Stormrider

Totally different YT-1300 / proxy

Ok, I wanted to use a YT-1300, but I had some problems with it story-wise. To me, it is strange to see (multiple) Millennium Falcons in X-wing games. It doesn't make a lot of sense: the YT-1300 is a freighter, not a warship, and the Millennium Falcon is a unique ship and we should give Han Solo a break from (too much) battle.

So, for the role of a YT-1300, it's seems to be more suitable to come up with a versatile gunship, built for warfare. Something like a smaller brother of the Corellian Corvette, or a larger version of the Y-wing. 

I had an Action Fleet Episode 1 Consular Cruiser laying around. Not a very interesting ship, but very usefull for my conversion. And I used the fins, guns and cockpit from a Revell Arc-177 Starfighter. The result:

stap8_zpshjksfyw9.jpg

Proces:

Republic_Cruiser.png

stap1_zpswz8fbwnp.jpg

stap2_zps4vmh54cg.jpg

stap6_zpsn1cpzoc5.jpg

stap4_zpskeml7kyq.jpg

stap7_zpswmmug6vk.jpg

stap10_zps6cxhyktv.jpg

stap9_zpsd3qvdkbs.jpg

I'm not sure what to call it yet. It seems logical that is is based on a Corellian ship that from the start is modified for war by Koensayr Manufacturing.

Edited by Stormrider

I think you should name it the "Lightspeed Rabbit" since it looks fast, elusive and may have run through quite a few blockades smuggling Rebel sympathizers in its day during the GCW.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that this is an awesome kit bash and looks and feels like it belongs in X-Wing. I also couldn't agree with you more about seeing multiple YTs on the field.

Edited by SpikeSpiegel

Ok, I wanted to use a YT-1300, but I had some problems with it story-wise. To me, it is strange to see (multiple) Millennium Falcons in X-wing games. It doesn't make a lot of sense: the YT-1300 is a freighter, not a warship, and the Millennium Falcon is a unique ship and we should give Han Solo a break from (too much) battle.

Ah, why? The YT-1300 is a 'stock' freighter. They're made en mass on a vast production line. So was the Model T Ford. Thousands of people have turned a 'stock' Model T-Ford into a Hot Rod. Bigger engine, lightened body, custom paint. The Millennium Falcon is simply the best **** hot rod in space.

:D

Ah, why? The YT-1300 is a 'stock' freighter. They're made en mass on a vast production line. So was the Model T Ford. Thousands of people have turned a 'stock' Model T-Ford into a Hot Rod. Bigger engine, lightened body, custom paint. The Millennium Falcon is simply the best **** hot rod in space.

:D

Yeah that is true, but there must be dozens of other popular freighters as well. And it seems likely that the rebels had somekind of larger support ship or gunship that they would preferably use instead of a freighter. Something like the K-wing or Marauder-class corvette. You need the guns, not the cargo space. To be honest, I don't like the design of the YT-1300 ("what a piece of junk"). I consider the YT-2400 to be a cooler version of it.

Edited by Stormrider

To me, the engines are the problem considering the scale of the cruiser being shrunk down to a freighter size. It feels like engines those size should just blast off the hull.

Not bad looking at all and a rather novel concept as well. I don't quite think the cockpit area fit correctly with the rest of the ship and I'm not sure about those added wings, might have looked better if they had been placed a bit further to the front, creating a gap between them and the back. All in all, minor niggles from an old codger that you can safely ignore. :)

I like the added wings.  The fact that they lie flat for a delta-wing but (assumingly) could be deployed for atmospheric flight is great. 

I like the gun size too. X-wing actually has the Falcon's gun overpowered for it's size, so this ship has it about right. 

Engine size may be a bit big, but if it's a low-cost, high power ship then the excuse is they are using an old design that is larger than "modern" engines. 

The slot in the nose looks like it is for a weapons module.  Swap in an HLC or torp launcher or whatever you need. 

Overall it looks AWESOME

Edited by jeepnut42

Thanks all! A short reaction to everything: I know that the scale of the engines and the cockpit might look contradictory. Bear in mind that the main goal was to do a simple conversion (not something built from scratch) and to make it look less like a Consular Cruiser. That was the idea of the wings as well, but I really like the idea of the wings being deployed when descending.

It looks good.  It's a natural fit to the Star Wars universe.

To me, the engines are the problem considering the scale of the cruiser being shrunk down to a freighter size. It feels like engines those size should just blast off the hull.

I'm sure you guys already know this, and if not I should make a thread about it, but the model of the Corvette was supposed to be the Falcon. Like the Falcon's cockpit glass went on the front of the Corvette instead of that hammerhead bridge. That's why a ship that's a precursor to the Corvette looks so good with those big honkin' engines out back.

I forget the story behind changing the models around but now I wish I could find a Corvette toy the same size as an FFG Falcon so I can kitbash a true Falcon!

It looks good.  It's a natural fit to the Star Wars universe.

I'm sure you guys already know this, and if not I should make a thread about it, but the model of the Corvette was supposed to be the Falcon. Like the Falcon's cockpit glass went on the front of the Corvette instead of that hammerhead bridge. That's why a ship that's a precursor to the Corvette looks so good with those big honkin' engines out back.

I forget the story behind changing the models around but now I wish I could find a Corvette toy the same size as an FFG Falcon so I can kitbash a true Falcon!

Kind of like a YZ-775

NoLuckRequierd.jpg

I like it.

For me I think a part of it is the fact that the ship is so... stubby/short. the Yz-775 looks okay because its got some length to it. Having the three giant engines somehow looks worse to me than the 11 smaller (in scale comparison) that the Corvette has. 

Those ships look awesome. I didn't know them, but these are the kind of ships that I had in mind. And, like Sanchez said, I knew that the concept design of the Millennium Falcon was totally different. It was thought to be too similar to the Discovery One from 2001: Space Odyssey. The design was later on used for the Blockade Runner. This is what it looked like:

falconss.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=